Guns at Glastonbury confirmed

Still can't quite believe its happening, but happening it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/03/arctic-monkeys-guns-n-roses-elton-john-all-male-glastonbury-headliners-a-pipeline-problem-says-emily-eavis

Sounds like the slot became available because of Taylor Swift pulling out.

Will be a lot of scrutiny the band now for sure, both in terms of Axl's performance, and how they're somehow headlining a "right-on" music festival.

Quite a rock orientated line up this year which is a bit of a surprise - Guns, Manic Street Preachers, Queens of The Stone Age and Royal Blood are all on the line up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

Still can't quite believe its happening, but happening it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/03/arctic-monkeys-guns-n-roses-elton-john-all-male-glastonbury-headliners-a-pipeline-problem-says-emily-eavis

Sounds like the slot became available because of Taylor Swift pulling out.

Will be a lot of scrutiny the band now for sure, both in terms of Axl's performance, and how they're somehow headlining a "right-on" music festival.

Quite a rock orientated line up this year which is a bit of a surprise - Guns, Manic Street Preachers, Queens of The Stone Age and Royal Blood are all on the line up.

good lineup, I like all of the bands you've mentioned.

On the original Guardian article, Queens of the Stone Age are listed, but they're not on the official poster for some reason.

Just now, SilverMachine said:

On the original Guardian article, Queens of the Stone Age are listed, but they're not on the official poster for some reason.

And now QoTSA have been removed from the Guardian article.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

2 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

And now QoTSA have been removed from the Guardian article.

I think there were a few more other than QOTSA in that guardian article that I noticed are missing from the poster just by glancing over those 2

@PatrickS77  Just calling in those bragging rights! Told you so! 

The lineup is getting absolutely slated here in the UK. 

Can't say I'm surprised - the festival has a reputation for booking acts out of the ordinary or giving newer acts a chance. This year they've gone for two nostalgia acts and one that is borderline nostalgia now. 

1 hour ago, SilverMachine said:

How incredibly The Guardian of The Guardian to make it a problem that the headliners are male. :lol: Go find something useful to do, you useless morons. If it was all-female you'd be cheering like crazy. 

For fucks sake.... 

Edited by username
  • Like 3

The reaction is very negative on social as expected. Ignoring all the idiots complaining that GnR are white men (which isn't even true) the main argument seems to be their relevance ie no new music or hits in 30 years how can they headline a 'right here right now, cream of the cool' festival like glasto. NEW MUSIC will help. 

11 minutes ago, username said:

How incredinbly The Guardian of The Guardian to make it a problem that the headliners are male. :lol: Go find something useful to do, you useless morons. If it was all-female you'd be cheering like crazy. 

For fucks sake.... 

ridiculous. Shut it down.

31 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

"all white all male headliners" - WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT!

As if they need to offer an excuse for booking white male musicians!

GNR has a female member right there on stage. Perhaps Melissa is not black enough for them and both Slash and Frank are not female enough to be counting as "worthy" by Glastonbury standards? Biggest pile of political bullshit ever coming a festival not poor of political bullshit.

Axl should open with One In A Million and have Elton join in on piano - just because.

What do they want at Glastonbury - good music or the "right" boxes ticked with a transgender gay black "person" performing communist anthems on a broomstick made of eco friendly unicorn ivory? God I hate fucking England.

What makes you think it's just England that says this stuff? 

England is going progressively more right wing, so these views certainly aren't held by most people. They are held by the sort of people who traditionally go to these sorts of festivals though. 

Are you English? Just curious. 

13 minutes ago, username said:

How incredinbly The Guardian of The Guardian to make it a problem that the headliners are male. :lol: Go find something useful to do, you useless morons. If it was all-female you'd be cheering like crazy. 

For fucks sake.... 

Well, it comes with context - in this case the organiser, Emily Eavis, repeatedly saying in the last how important it is to have new acts headlining and female ones. Then she books all this, so it's understandable people are going to focus on that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

England is going progressively more right wing, so these views certainly aren't held by most people. They are held by the sort of people who traditionally go to these sorts of festivals though. 

Are you English? Just curious. 

I'm not sure I agree with the right wing stuff, the media absolutely lean right but there is a reason the polls are hugely in Labours side right now, though i admit the labour of the moment is basically a centralist party.

It is also an age thing, young heavily lean left on average, older lean right though for sure.

anyway this is not a surprise given what Duff said and the clear gap in the touring schedule at the time of Glastonbury.

Edited by koldweather

6 minutes ago, koldweather said:

I'm not sure I agree with the right wing stuff, the media absolutely lean right but there is a reason the polls are hugely in Labours side right now, though i admit the labour of the moment is basically a centralist party.

It is also an age thing, young heavily lean left on average, older lean right though for sure.

anyway this is not a surprise given what Duff said and the clear gap in the touring schedule at the time of Glastonbury.

Yeah, well I'm hopeful on the polls, but I meant really over the past 12 years, the way it's been heading. People elected a man with open racist, sexist and homophobic comments as PM. That was hopefully the lowest point though! 

Either way- to say these views in some way are more prevalent in England than other countries is simply untrue. 

Edited by allwaystired

12 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

don't know what that poster meant, I don't think that was the point. It's not just in England, it's all over the world and some of it, like in this case, is dumb.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

don't know what that poster meant, I don't think that was the point. It's not just in England, it's all over the world and some of it, like in this case, is dumb.

I have mixed views on it- it's kind of lame in some ways as people that say a lot of this stuff are very hypocritical , but I do agree with the general point that we should be looking at a more progressive society that doesn't just represent wealthy rich men. 

And also....I don't know what it's like to be a woman, or a person that isn't white, so I can't really speak for their experiences and points of view. If they tell me they feel excluded or unrepresented then I'm not going to tell them their feelings are wrong, as I simply don't know. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

I have mixed views on it- it's kind of lame in some ways as people that say a lot of this stuff are very hypocritical , but I do agree with the general point that we should be looking at a more progressive society that doesn't just represent wealthy rich men. 

And also....I don't know what it's like to be a woman, or a person that isn't white, so I can't really speak for their experiences and points of view. If they tell me they feel excluded or unrepresented then I'm not going to tell them their feelings are wrong, as I simply don't know. 

I'm a 22 year old latina woman, so I know how it's like to face many problems in this man's world. If chicks want to play, they can play. That;s why it's dumb. I'm all for progressive sociery, but sometimes you overcorrect. So I think the tool can be useful, but you also need to know how to use it, like many other shits in life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I'm a 22 year old latina woman, so I know how it's like to face many problems in this man's world. If chicks want to play, they can play. That;s why it's dumb. I'm all for progressive sociery, but sometimes you overcorrect. So I think the tool can be useful, but you also need to know how to use it, like many other shits in life.

Yeah that's fair enough. I get that. 

I felt a twinge if pity at you being 22 and being into GNR though- get out while you still can!

No wonder you're so enthusiastic for them! Haha! 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

I know this festival is big and all, but reading the names, how exactly do GN'R fit there? I don't see anything really similar to them (granted I don't know most of the names). 

They don't at all, which is why they're not going down too well as headliners....

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I think Artic Monkeys will get the best reviews out of the 3 headliners. 

Oh Elton will go down well. They've probably already written the gushing reviews for him...."a real Glastonbury moment", "living British legend", "an instruction", "so much joy in that field"- all those clichés they roll out every year at Glastonbury!