Guns at Glastonbury confirmed

41 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What makes you think it's just England that says this stuff? 

England is going progressively more right wing, so these views certainly aren't held by most people. They are held by the sort of people who traditionally go to these sorts of festivals though. 

Are you English? Just curious.

Neither English nor right wing, I just hate the hypocrisy and the decomposing dividing agenda behind all that. Those fuckers are wolves in sheep's clothing. Color of skin, origin, gender or whatever shouldn't matter at all but it reads like Glastonbury instead of being proud to have a band like GNR perform at their shitfest is rather apologizing for having musicians that are male and white. For actual equality, double standards should count for no one, but it appears as if being white and male is something you need to apologize for. It just pisses me off as much as when people are being judged and faced with disadvantages and prejudice for not being white or male. And for the record, I don't really hate England - the tea is pretty decent and some of the music is pretty good too. ;)

Hope GNR give em hell and Axl brings his AC/DC pipes for that night. Not having high hopes for that, but still. I would love to see GNR showing these brainwashed snowflake hippies how its done and shut those fuckers up with one hell of a great performance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Neither English nor right wing, I just hate the hypocrisy and the decomposing dividing agenda behind all that. Those fuckers are wolves in sheep's clothing. Color of skin, origin, gender or whatever shouldn't matter at all but it reads like Glastonbury instead of being proud to have a band like GNR perform at their shitfest is rather apologizing for having musicians that are male and white. For actual equality, double standards should count for no one, but it appears as if being white and male is something you need to apologize for. It just pisses me off as much as when people are being judged and faced with disadvantages and prejudice for not being white or male. And for the record, I don't really hate England - the tea is pretty decent and some of the music is pretty good too. ;)

Hope GNR give em hell and Axl brings his AC/DC pipes for that night. Not having high hopes for that, but still. I would love to see GNR showing these brainwashed snowflake hippies how its done and shut those fuckers up with one hell of a great performance.

Oh we do have good tea, and music. That's for sure. 

Not that anyone really appreciates that arts and culture are a massive thing for the country though- venues and funding are getting closed down all the time. 

Here's hoping they play a blinder. This will be televised across the country on the biggest TV channel. 

I think lots of us on here - with good reason - think that this has the potential for being an absolute clusterfuck for the band.

It's as high profile as a gig gets these days, there's going to be an enormous amount of scrutiny with the TV broadcast and they're up against a lot of media and public hostility to them playing, with lots of preconceived ideas about what the band was and is now.

One look at the comments on social media greeting the line-up announcement will tell you all that.

But....

This is also a massive opportunity for the band where they really could define a new part of their legacy and win people over.

If Axl has a good night and the rest of the stars align, it could go down as a classic Guns 'n' Roses moment.

I'm willing them on to go smash it.

Edited by SilverMachine

I have mixed feelings. While I'm happy for them to be on a big stage and get media exposure, the thought of the critics and the reviews depresses me already. Also, it's frustrating to think that the younger generations that doesn't know GNR might be disappointed with their performance. I know I’m overthinking, but tbh I want them to kill it as a fan.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

If I recall Guns did similar with Reading back in 2010. 

Yeah they did. Reading isn't such a big TV deal though, whereas Glastonbury is BBC, main channels, a lot of viewers, all that stuff. 

I'll be disappointed if they don't. Looking forward to a few beers and a night in watching it! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah they did. Reading isn't such a big TV deal though, whereas Glastonbury is BBC, main channels, a lot of viewers, all that stuff. 

I'll be disappointed if they don't. Looking forward to a few beers and a night in watching it! 

They could easily put on Lana Del Ray live instead on the Other Stage I guess, but as you say, it would be unprecedented for a headliner not to be broadcast. If they went down that track you'd have to question why are they bothering playing the show at all.

2 hours ago, SL138 said:

maneskin came a long way real quick

Yeah, and they're a great live band. Saw them last year at a festival and they made an impact. What a party their shows are, just like the legends of today were 30 years ago, imo. They're doing two back to back indoor shows here these days and the review I read in the newspaper was very positive.

Lizzo was here last week and she got an even better review.

If they show it on BBC that would be great, then we get to see it here too. Already getting a bit nervous :unsure::lol:

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I want to like Maneskin more that i doing that makes sense? 

They have loads of energy and stuff and play well....then the songs just leave me a bit cold. 

I can't get into them at all. The music, the show, nothing about them does it for me. Watched them before GN'R on the Rock in Rio livestream and they seemed to be more interested in posing than music. Maybe it's different in person, but they're an instant turn off for me if they're on TV

32 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I suppose it means there is a ‘better’ chance of a single/EP around that specific gig as exposure goes through the roof for that festival.

Stop it right there! They won't do it! They never did it that way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Excellent ! I always wondered if they’d eventually play Glastonbury.

Not without its risks for sure. For those not from the UK, Glastonbury no doubt the biggest festival over the year. More like a cultural event, people literally go for the week to see all kinds of eclectic music across all genres.

High coverage across UK radio, internet and TV. And generally pro-shot footage of all the big acts. Put it this way, if they play really well then it’ll be superb. If they have an off night they won’t get away with it as most of the UK watches over the weekend on TV.

Metallica headlined a few years back and that’s probably as heavy as they’ve gone with a headliner. And they were very well received - even non metal fans respected the music, setlist and performance 

I suspect Guns won't allow it to be live streamed, though I do suspect we will see something like Coachella where a songs are allowed to be played.

Axl just hasn't got the vocal chops anymore to sound even remotely like what the general public remember him as, even arguably his best nights from 2022 were still a shadow of what general people remember Axl sounding and on TV there will be no hiding it with effects/layering.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Yeah, and they're a great live band. Saw them last year at a festival and they made an impact. What a party their shows are, just like the legends of today were 30 years ago, imo. They're doing two back to back indoor shows here these days and the review I read in the newspaper was very positive.

Lizzo was here last week and she got an even better review.

Lizzo is great!