Ryan Gosling Sings Barbie Song “I’m Just Ken” with Slash on Guitar

9 hours ago, meadsoap said:

He worked with Micheal Jackson both before and after the children made their sexual abuse claims. But even before the 1993 lawsuit was filed, there were pervasive rumors about MJ that I personally remember clearly. We have multiple sources that confirm Axl objected to Slash's continued working relationship Jackson, and Slash implied it himself when defending his choice to appear with MJ after the child molestation allegations were made public.

ETA: Not trying to make any value judgements on who was right or wrong in this situation. Regardless of whether you believe MJ was innocent or guilty, it makes sense that Axl would be very uncomfortable with what MJ has been accused of, given the events of his childhood. It also makes equal sense why Slash would think Axl was being unreasonable. It's not unbelievable that it would have been a disagreement between them, even if not a major one.

also I remember Slash saying in an interview that he wouldn't leave his kids alone with MJ. Just thought it was relevant, not interested in debating if MJ was guilty or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Here's the full song. I like it, cool to hear Slash on something like this. 

Ryan can really sing, impressive. really well written song, and cool to hear Slash, even if it deserved something more like an epic solo at the end

On 7/14/2023 at 8:31 PM, meadsoap said:

He worked with Micheal Jackson both before and after the children made their sexual abuse claims. But even before the 1993 lawsuit was filed, there were pervasive rumors about MJ that I personally remember clearly. We have multiple sources that confirm Axl objected to Slash's continued working relationship Jackson, and Slash implied it himself when defending his choice to appear with MJ after the child molestation allegations were made public.

ETA: Not trying to make any value judgements on who was right or wrong in this situation. Regardless of whether you believe MJ was innocent or guilty, it makes sense that Axl would be very uncomfortable with what MJ has been accused of, given the events of his childhood. It also makes equal sense why Slash would think Axl was being unreasonable. It's not unbelievable that it would have been a disagreement between them, even if not a major one.

The only other register we have of Axl saying anything at all about Michael Jackson, good or bad, is him ranking MJ as one of his favorites singers as a response to a Spin article in 2014.

It doesn`t seem like MJ was a relevant presence in Axl`s life in any way at all beyond being someone he listened on the radio, no personal connections or opinions at all. In the Space Ghost quote, doesn`t seem like he had any strong opinions about MJ on a personal level even back then.

https://www.spin.com/2014/05/vocal-range-chart-axl-rose-mariah-carey-prince-thom-yorke/?utm_source=spintwitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spintwitter

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-rose-responds-to-list-calling-him-worlds-greatest-singer-124867/

Big thanks to all the fans and media for the props reacting to the Spin top vocalists article.

From what I could tell, the original article was for the most part only talking about the professionally recorded vocal range of the singers they compared calling the entire group “The World’s Greatest Singers.” It’s very flattering and humbling to be included in such an illustrious ensemble.

If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers.

That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Dan McCafferty, Janice Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly 70’s rock singers) and would rather hear ANY of them anytime rather than me!

Peace!

Axl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickodez said:

The only other register we have of Axl saying anything at all about Michael Jackson, good or bad, is him ranking MJ as one of his favorites singers as a response to a Spin article in 2014.

Not true. At the 1992 VMA's, GN'R was given the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award for November Rain. Once Axl went up to the mic he stated very quickly that Michael Jackson had nothing to do with their success, in reference to the name of the award. Maybe you can see it as ego or maybe you can see it as antipathy for MJ himself, but that statement was Axl intentionally distancing himself from any association with Michael Jackson. Pair that with him naming MJ as one of the people he thought Slash was hurting his reputation by working with, multiple people who were around Axl claiming that he didn't want Slash working with MJ, and Slash never denying it when asked directly if Axl had a problem with his work with MJ. More specifically, Slash said that the argument wasn't the reason for the breakup, not that the argument didn't happen.

Axl might have gotten less averse to MJ over time (though naming him in a list of great singers doesn't necessarily prove that. It could be a "separating art from artist" sort of thing). But there's enough evidence that his feelings about MJ in the 90s weren't very positive.

Edited by meadsoap

I watched the movie, it's awesome. And I still have balls. 

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I have to say that you playing on the ‘80s power ballad, “I’m Just Ken,” for the Barbie movie was not on my 2023 bingo card. It’s genius, but it’s also insane. When you were approached about doing that, what was your initial reaction, and what ultimately won you over?

SLASH: Well, I do a lot of insane stuff. I’m not trying to follow a certain idea where I’m supposed to be this and I can’t venture outside of that mold, or people trip out. I’m just not that person. I just do whatever I feel like. But what happened with Barbie, that’s not something where I would have said, “I wanna be on the Barbie movie.” Mark Ronson, who is the producer and I think he wrote the whole soundtrack, called me and asked me if I would play on something that he was doing for the movie. I love Mark. He’s a great guy. He’s a super talented producer and great songwriter. So, I said, “Send it to me and let me see what it is.” So, he sent me a demo and I was like, “It’s a song about Ken,” which is just funny, in itself. I was like, “Okay, yeah, I can do something with this.” It was a session where Mark just had a basic skeleton recorded. He was sending me stuff, and I was in the studio, so I did it and sent it back. And then, he went, “Wait, Josh Freese just put drums on it, so here it is again.” And it was completely different now, so I redid it and then sent it in again. I was like, “Okay, this is cool,” and I rearranged what I did and sent it back again. It was not an easy session because it completely changed, but it was fun. That’s how I got involved.

https://collider.com/slash-interview-the-breach-movie/

(It's the same interview where he mentions hearing Fall To Pieces with AI Axl singing)

I read somewhere that Wolfgang Van Halen was on this track too? I'm not sure. Josh Freese, as always, is awesome.

The whole scene is very funny, with an awesome dancing scene. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes, it was great. At the end I felt like applauding :lol: Luckily I could keep myself from doing that or my daughter would've been mortified.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, MaskingApathy said:

Here's the full song. I like it, cool to hear Slash on something like this. 

I feel like the actual movie version has a longer Slash solo. Not sure.

10 minutes ago, Lio said:

Yes, it was great. At the end I felt like applauding :lol: Luckily I could keep myself from doing that or my daughter would've been mortified.

Hahaha I believe you have the right to do so. If anything, the movie shows that daughters should actually see what their moms can do :)

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I watched the movie, it's awesome. And I still have balls. 

I read somewhere that Wolfgang Van Halen was on this track too? I'm not sure. Josh Freese, as always, is awesome.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I loved the movie too. Wolfie's parts are only in the movie, one part is during the car chase scene where the Mattel guys are trying to catch Barbie and the mom/daughter, and the other part is during the Ken song when they're battling on the beach. It's not on the soundtrack version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I loved the movie too. Wolfie's parts are only in the movie, one part is during the car chase scene where the Mattel guys are trying to catch Barbie and the mom/daughter, and the other part is during the Ken song when they're battling on the beach. It's not on the soundtrack version.

Maybe they will release a score with the instrumentals

"I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt ... hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away."

"The truth is they didn’t want to be here for you at this level and they don’t want to take it farther. I mean, that’s their business right? But not at my expense or yours. You’ve been played. You’ve been lied too. You’ve been used. You’ve been manipulated so that they can ride around in limos and jam with Snoop Dogg or whoever the fuck. Y'know, I don’t care, that’s their business. But they shouldn’t really do it at your expense or mine."

- W. Axl Rose

57 minutes ago, RONIN said:

"I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt ... hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away."

"The truth is they didn’t want to be here for you at this level and they don’t want to take it farther. I mean, that’s their business right? But not at my expense or yours. You’ve been played. You’ve been lied too. You’ve been used. You’ve been manipulated so that they can ride around in limos and jam with Snoop Dogg or whoever the fuck. Y'know, I don’t care, that’s their business. But they shouldn’t really do it at your expense or mine."

- W. Axl Rose

I don't know how Axl of 2023 looks at Slash playing on this song, but I doubt he has any problems with it. Regardless, I don't think Slash loses any respect or love because of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know how Axl of 2023 looks at Slash playing on this song, but I doubt he has any problems with it. Regardless, I don't think Slash loses any respect or love because of it. 

When Axl was saying this, it was before Slash had a resurgence as the beloved icon that he is today. He was still very much associated with guns n roses and the "uncool" label that they couldn't shake off after the grunge movement hit. We know now that Slash putting himself in as many places as possible eventually allowed him to create his own brand and cement his place in pop culture.

However, it could have easily gone the other and had him branded as a sellout. That's what Axl was referring to, and Axl's perspective makes sense when you view it from the time period he made it in. None of this applies any longer obviously.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 2:27 PM, SoulMonster said:

Well Axl did a song with Looney Tunes. Same ol same ol.