"Mysterious" Axl recording session in London (for Michael Schenker's new album?)

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According to Eddie Trunk, Axl recorded guest vocals for a cover on a tribute album:

https://vocaroo.com/19eMpiKcExaV

@metalavenger99, @Amir (tagging you because we've discussed this in the new album thread).

I can't believe it... dude wont go to the studio record new vocals for his own songs but a freaking cover on a tribute album gets him off his couch

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It would REALLY piss off people here if it ended up being a Whichita Lineman cover for a Glenn Campbell tribute :lol:

I would love that though :lol:

But based on what Trunk said (assuming he really knows something), it seems unlikely. Trunk said it's a cover of a song by one of his (Trunk's) favorite bands, and Glen Campbell is neither a band nor (I suppose) among Trunk's favorite artists.

I thought of Eric Carmen/The Raspberries (because Axl is a big fan and played "Everything" as an intro to November Rain during the UYI tour) and I'd love that too, but considering that the session was with Michael Schenker's producers, it's likely UFO or something like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

I would love that though :lol:

But based on what Trunk said (assuming he really knows something), it seems unlikely. Trunk said it's a cover of a song by one of his (Trunk's) favorite bands, and Glen Campbell is neither a band nor (I suppose) among Trunk's favorite artists.

I thought of Eric Carmen/The Raspberries (because Axl is a big fan and played "Everything" as an intro to November Rain during the UYI tour) and I'd love that too, but considering that the session was with Michael Schenker's producers, it's likely UFO or something like that.

a tribute to UFO? I'm curious to know which band it is. I know Trunk really likes Van Halen and Kiss, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

a tribute to UFO? I'm curious to know which band it is. I know Trunk really likes Van Halen and Kiss, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

I had to do a search for Trunk's favourite bands, lol.

https://www.goldminemag.com/articles/10-albums-that-changed-eddie-trunks-life-2

I really hope it's The Raspberries.

• Like 1

GNR should’ve hit the studio to record Wichita Lineman back in 2017 to test the waters, especially with how highly Axl thought of the bands rendition of it and that it reminded him of old Guns.

That said, curious to hear this whatever it is and to hear where Axl’s studio vocal chops are currently. Mitch Lafon claimed a few year back that Axl had done a cover of Children of the Revolution for a T. Rex tribute album. Obviously nothing came of it, but one of the fellas behind the tribute album had heard rumours of Axl doing something for another project.

1 minute ago, metalavenger99 said:

I’m telling you if it’s a Wichita cover i’ll delete myself from this world:lol: 

It's not, but like I said above, I'd love it to be :lol: (I'd prefer a studio version of it by GN'R though, because the live arrangement is great).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

That said, curious to hear this whatever it is and to hear where Axl’s studio vocal chops are currently. Mitch Lafon claimed a few year back that Axl had done a cover of Children of the Revolution for a T. Rex tribute album. Obviously nothing came of it, but one of the fellas behind the tribute album had heard rumours of Axl doing something for another project.

I think Mitch Lafon initially said that he had heard that GN'R had recorded a cover of Children of the Revolution for a tribute album. Then that rumour was debunked by the producer of said tribute album, who though said he had heard that Axl (not GN'R) might have recorded the same song for another tribute.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I think Mitch Lafon initially said that he had heard that GN'R had recorded a cover of Children of the Revolution for a tribute album. Then that rumour was debunked by the producer of said tribute album, who though said he had heard that Axl (not GN'R) might have recorded the same song for another tribute.

Would have made a great GnR cover. Fits their style.

Based on that clip and the Schenker picture, I'm convinced the cover song is by UFO. Trunk has gone on record saying that Strangers in the Nigh is one of his favorite records. Not convinced it's for a tribute album, I'm leaning more towards a Schenker solo album due to having Micahel Voss in the studio. Schenker last album featured a cover of In Search of Piece of Mind; I believe that's the first song he ever wrote and was in the Scorpions Lonesome Crow.

I'm cautiously optimistic, yet excited at having Axl, Slash and Schenker on a UFO track. If he can do vocals ala Sebastian Bach Angel Down then this will be killer. I'm actually more excited over this than Perhaps 😅

A safe guess would be Doctor Doctor as the cover track. It's just a classic. 

This is my favorite take of Doctor Doctor Schenker recorder in his later years. 

46 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Schenker doin a tribute to Schenker?

I wouldnt put it past him. Two of Schenkers last albums cover mirror Biblical imagery where he is pretty much the Jesus figure getting crucified in a Flying V guitar and is the center figure in a Last Supper type of photo. 😅 

Despite what Trunk said, I think this will be a MSG record featuring a UFO cover song.

Edited by Chuerta86
  • Like 4