Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

18 minutes ago, Heather14 said:

If the quick intro earlier was recently recorded, wouldn't it be Axl's first media appearance in a long time? 

I'm sure the "this is Duff McKagan/Slash/Axl Rose" intro are from 2016, maybe 2017 at the latest. I heard those intro's in the months leading up to shows in Vancouver and Seattle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Is that the demo we've heard or the legit new version? I wouldn't know.

The demo was from 2000 and contained different vocal tracks, guitars, bass and drums. So no, it is not the demo. What was played on radio just now is the final version of the song, and presumably completely identical to the version that TouchTune had access to and accidentally debuted a few days ago.

1 minute ago, kozydogg said:

Anyone else wish the last 3 notes of the solo repeated again, with the last note changing to a resolution note?  The way the solo ends now, it leaves me hanging for that resolution.

It builds tension for the piano to come back in, imo. I don't think it would work as well if it resolved

2 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

What sucks is that if and when the General comes out, we'll get the busted Slash version and may never get to hear the epic Robin version. 

I like Slash's version much more personally.  I never thought there was anything that noteworthy about Robin's version let alone anything epic about it lol what specifically about Robin's solo do you like?  Any particular melodic motifs or note choices that catch your ear?

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah I quite like what he did with it.  To me it is funny, people complain about Slash playing too fast live, but when he slows down the playing and does more long sustained melodic lines they complain too lol

To me the solo is fine and it fits for sure.  And I like the added production element of the double tracking

Yeah I really liked the guitar sustain (or whatever you call it) at the end leading into the piano coming back. That was cool. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Personally I actually quite like it ending on that double stop bend, ending on that F# chord which is the dominant chord going back to the tonic which the piano hits when it comes back in with B minor, the tonic of the key at the top of the intro/verse progression

No idea what you're talking about since I'm not a musician lol.  But, I'll take your word for it.  Maybe it will grow on me, but I felt I wasn't getting that satisfactory resolution at the end.

On another note, I'm almost positive Axl just tacked on a little extra scream to the "aloonneeeeeee" at the end of the song.  Pretty certain it is the original "alone" from the demo with the little added scream at the end cut/pasted in.  Definitely wouldn't be the first time he's pasted in vocals to an existing vocal line (end of ChiDem, Rhiad, etc.).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The demo was from 2000 and contained different vocal tracks, guitars, bass and drums. So no, it is not the demo. What was played on radio just now is the final version of the song, and presumably completely identical to the version that TouchTune had access to and accidentally debuted a few days ago.

And basically identical to the 2000 demo.  This song did not receive a major overhaul.  If you heard the demo you've basically heard the finished version.  23 years! 

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I like Slash's version much more personally.  I never thought there was anything that noteworthy about Robin's version let alone anything epic about it lol what specifically about Robin's solo do you like? 

Robin's solo flows with the song perfectly. The tone and everything about it. The song is only 4 minutes long, so not really meant to be epic. The General, if it's the sequel to Estranged, then I imagine it will be an epic 7+ minute song with some epic guitar solos included.

It must be weird to help write a song musically, be really excited about it, then see it released 20 years later with others taking some of the credit :lol:

Oh well, looking forward to it being released in a more high quality way to really be able to fully enjoy it.

1 minute ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

And basically identical to the 2000 demo.  This song did not receive a major overhaul.  If you heard the demo you've basically heard the finished version.  23 years! 

The new version is essentially identical in structure with some bits re-recorded and some additional production tricks.

They could have actually reworked it a bit. The solo seems to arrive very quickly in the song after only one chorus, so restructuring the song slightly, having a second chorus, then a build up into a more epic longer solo, then a longer outro… could have worked. But would make it a 5 min song not single friendly. Many of the CD era songs has bizarre structures (TWAT, Atlas, Catcher) and this fits in that group for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

Yes, the song is the same as far as structure and most of the arrangements. I think the biggest changes to me is Slash's lead guitar under neath the verses, the new vocal track in the chorus, the new drums (which are better), and I hear the bass better now. It is also mixed much better, gives it a lot more punch, and the vocals lie very neatly in the mix. I wish the lead guitar was a bit more prominent in the verses, but all in all they did a really good job with this. I was never that fond of the demo from the Villa version, I felt the chorus was a clusterfuck, but this version, especially how the new chorus sounds, is something I will likely play a bit. 

• Like 1