Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

I was hoping Robin would be on stage to perform his ‘bend’ into the solo and rightly receive his 1 second of fame 😔.

The way the solo comes in on the live version is how the studio recording should have been, robins lick left in just sounds really odd.

The live version of Pittsburgh sounded pretty good!  Axl has a little bit of work to do but Slash sounded great on the solo.  I was out all day so I haven't gotten to see all the reactions but it seems fairly positive?

The song sounds great and is a welcome addition to the catalogue.  Bring on the fucking General!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’ve pretty much found all 3 of the releases songs superior to the demos. But that’s just me. I know that isn’t a very common feeling. 

Silkworms is so different to Absurd it is hard to compare. With Hard Skool I prefer the demo, mostly because of the drums, but it's tight. With Perhaps I clearly prefer the released version, it is just so much better in all aspects, mostly due to the mixing, how they have un-muddled the chorus, Slash's lead, Duff's rumbling bass and the improved drums.

12 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’ve pretty much found all 3 of the releases songs superior to the demos. But that’s just me. I know that isn’t a very common feeling. 

i do tend to agree with this, certainly the demos feel like they're demos, and not the final mix, so there's an obvious upgrade in quality. i really like what they did with Perhaps the most, and Slash and Duff's contributions improved Absurd as well. 

With Hard Skool, I'd rather listen to the release than the demo, for sure. But I will say that it's a pretty mediocre mix. And I'm not a drummer, but I think Brain is playing just slightly behind the beat and it gives the song a sense of excitement on the demo that's totally missing from the release where the drums are sterile and lifeless.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, default_ said:

From what I can see regular people are really enjoying the song. Not sure if hardskool would’ve this much praise cause in the end, it just sounds like a washed up hard rock song. Perhaps on the other hand, has that Illusions feel that soccer moms and casuls love and that kind of became a trademark for GNR with NR and Estranged. 

This. 

Hard Skool is a fun ditty, but Perhaps hits you more in the heart. 

It sounds like a modern Illusions-type song, which is more in line with their progression, age and status these days.

It's a song casuals can take seriously, which I think is a major reason why it's been so well recieved :book:

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I agree, so you're not alone. Absurd and Silkworms are like day and night for me. I don't like Silkworms AT ALL, but I love Absurd. I was kinda disappointed with the Hard Skool demo also, but the finished version is great. Perhaps isn't all that different compared to the demo, but I still prefer the finished version.

• Like 2