THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Listening to it again and I feel it's the weakest of the songs released so far. That being said, I do really like the chorus. With some more work on it writing/structure wise and better production it could have been decent. It really feels (and sounds!) like a rough demo which is odd as a lot of the 'demos' from earlier eras could have just been put out and were higher quality. Like Slash's shreddy solo at the end but yeah, this song certainly isn't up there with the epics. 

I feel this is what happens when you wait twenty years to put songs out, nothing will ever live up to expectations after that amount of time. I also haven't had as long to wait as other GN'R fans as I only really got into NuGuns as a kid in '06 and then found out about the other potential songs around 2010 time. 

The poor quality artwork is another disappointment really, after the Perhaps video I was hopeful things were on the up! 

Edited by Seb91

The mix and mastering is disappointing. Throw in the low res artwork on top of it and that tells you all you need to know 

It’s obvious that they don’t take these songs and releases seriously. So why should we? 

It is what it is. A bare bone budget to get these out and it shows. Wake me up when they work on something new 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I worked in print many years ago, it's clear that someone has used the low res place holder image by mistake. This isn't even the first time they have done this, parts of the Chinese Democracy booklet were the same. The incompetence in much of what they involve themselves in has gone from unfortunate to inevitable. 

I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the result of a combination of nepotism and penny pinching. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

knowing the difference between opinions and facts is a great skill to have in life. Something you seem to lack. @janrichmond is never shy when it comes to expressing her opinions, but she also never tried to pass her opinion as fact which makes her not annoying.

You seem very… triggered.. in this thread. I read a few of your other responses to people who don’t like this track, no one is spitting facts just opinions. Including myself.. anyway, if you’re that triggered by negative comments about the stuff gnr is releasing maybe getting off social media for the day would be good for you!

it’s just internet strangers talking about rich rockstars, none of this needs to be so emotional. I truly do hope you have a lovely rest of the day though.

Edited by IzzysMissy
  • Like 4

Just now, IzzysMissy said:

You seem very… triggered.. in this thread. I read a few of your other responses to people who don’t like this track, no one is spitting facts just opinions. Including myself.. anyway, if you’re that triggered by negative comments about the stuff gnr is releasing maybe getting off social media for the day would be good for you!

it’s just internet strangers talking about rich rockstars, none of this needs to ve do emotional. I truly do hope you have a lovely rest of the day though.

I think we're going in circles here. Like I've said before, I have no problem with differing opinions. What I find annoying is when posters try to put more weight and significance on their own opinions compared to others just cause they somehow convinced themselves that they know better, which doesn't lead to a quality discussion.

it's not personal, I would reply in the same manner to anyone who starts a sentence with "opinions are just like assholes" just to end it by completely contradicting themselves and showing they don't really believe that their opinion is just their opinion.

• Like 2

It was not a vinyl exclusive. After a brief delay, the band got the vinyl orders shipped. It is Slash playing on the outro. "Monsters" was not a part of the release. The world turns...

Now that we live in a post "The General" world, how do we all feel? 

I, for one, actually like "The General". I was one of the very few who seemed to enjoy it more than "Monsters" (other than fantastic vocal performance at the end, I found "Monsters" to be a "C-tier" song). Having said that, maybe we, as a society, should no longer ask for Sebastian Bach's opinion on Guns N' Roses music...

Edited by themadcaplaughs

29 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I worked in print many years ago, it's clear that someone has used the low res place holder image by mistake. This isn't even the first time they have done this, parts of the Chinese Democracy booklet were the same. The incompetence in much of what they involve themselves in has gone from unfortunate to inevitable. 

Just think of the mirrored band picture on the Greatest Hits vinyl.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's not a big deal, I just thought it was ridiculous of you to suggest something must have been lacking in the listener's musical experience and they were ignorant in case they thought The General is an amazing track. Surely you can see the problem with this way of thinking.

The initial comment was said in an off-handed, glib way...meant to be kind of intentionally a little confrontational in a playful way...it didn't land. 

I do sincerely apologize.

I took my misplaced disappointment in the band and directed it towards fellow fans.  I'm sorry.

All in all, I do like the track, believe it or not, I just...man....The leaks were the leaks, and, as someone else said, at least they were of their time and place, ya know?

The idea of the leaked versions still held the mystery of promise & possibility; the idea that these songs could have been worked on in the intervening years, improved exponentially, potentially in new and exciting ways.

Now that they're being put out?  This is it.  Here they are!

We obviously didn't have "The General", but, a few of them are really not very much different than they were as they existed in 2001.  I think, that, for me, is the most disappointing part.

I feel, barring any boxed set or new releases, it's at least pretty evident to me that CD was largely, with a few exceptions,  the greatest hits mixtape of this era and that, for me, is a bit of a let down, at the moment.

6 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Having said that, maybe we, as a society, should no longer ask for Sebastian Bach's opinion on Guns N' Roses music...

In Bach's defense, he probably heard a significantly better version with Buckethead and/or Robin, and I'm sure the mixing was fantastic too. Same with his description of Sorry, what he heard was probably similar to the Village version, with Axl vocals. 

What I would give to have a studio rip of everything Axl played for him in New York in 2007...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oneway23 said:

The initial comment was said in an off-handed, glib way...meant to be kind of intentionally a little confrontational in a playful way...it didn't land. 

I do sincerely apologize.

I took my misplaced disappointment in the band and directed it towards fellow fans.  I'm sorry.

All in all, I do like the track, believe it or not, I just...man....The leaks were the leaks, and, as someone else said, at least they were of their time and place, ya know?

The idea of the leaked versions still held the mystery of promise & possibility; the idea that these songs could have been worked on in the intervening years, improved exponentially, potentially in new and exciting ways.

Now that they're being put out?  This is it.  Here they are!

We obviously didn't have "The General", but, a few of them are really not very much different than they were as they existed in 2001.  I think, that, for me, is the most disappointing part.

I feel, barring any boxed set or new releases, it's at least pretty evident to me that CD was largely, with a few exceptions,  the greatest hits mixtape of this era and that, for me, is a bit of a let down, at the moment.

fair enough

No matter how much I ignore the hype about that song and listen to it with an open mind I just can't bring myself to resonate with it on any level whatsoever.

What's the point? Why do they keep releasing those 20+ year old songs?

The band who originally created these songs does no longer exist.

Neither does the band who created AFD and UYI.

The band that does exist though doesn't do fuck all but tour and rehash of AFD, UYI and CD tunes plus outtakes from these but in seven fucking years of having both Axl and Slash in the band those motherfuckers couldn't get around to put three chords together to make a new song? Really?

And what's it with the cover artwork anyway? Did their trial version of Photoshop 2.0 expire? Seriously what the fuck is wrong the production team? This band makes millions on tour but they have their cover artwork done with Windows '95 or what?

If The General is the last we get to see/hear from GNR it's one hell of a mess to go out with.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Seb91 said:

Listening to it again and I feel it's the weakest of the songs released so far. That being said, I do really like the chorus. With some more work on it writing/structure wise and better production it could have been decent. It really feels (and sounds!) like a rough demo which is odd as a lot of the 'demos' from earlier eras could have just been put out and were higher quality. Like Slash's shreddy solo at the end but yeah, this song certainly isn't up there with the epics. 

I feel this is what happens when you wait twenty years to put songs out, nothing will ever live up to expectations after that amount of time. I also haven't had as long to wait as other GN'R fans as I only really got into NuGuns as a kid in '06 and then found out about the other potential songs around 2010 time. 

The poor quality artwork is another disappointment really, after the Perhaps video I was hopeful things were on the up! 

Good post. 

28 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

It was not a vinyl exclusive. After a brief delay, the band got the vinyl orders shipped. It is Slash playing on the outro. "Monsters" was not a part of the release. The world turns...

Now that we live in a post "The General" world, how do we all feel? 

I, for one, actually like "The General". I was one of the very few who seemed to enjoy it more than "Monsters" (other than fantastic vocal performance at the end, I found "Monsters" to be a "C-tier" song). Having said that, maybe we, as a society, should no longer ask for Sebastian Bach's opinion on Guns N' Roses music...

just watch a video os some lil bitch complaining about the general. i instructed him to STFU and go look at the comment section for the video of the general. a LOT of love for the general. 

he is like "WE" wanna hear the hits.  i told i DONT wanna hear sweet child o mine for the MILLIONTH time. i love this weird, different sounding shit man, its gold. 

• Like 1