THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I was a bit surprised to see the general feedback on their own FB page. It's not just people who want the AFD sound, many noticed the sound issues or just don't resonate with the song at all. Proper management would have turned comments off for a while and even posted an excuse for the sound issues.

yes, it call my attention. Is rare it reaction in they own page. Not happened with another releases.

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

On a related but side note, I feel like the term "big guns" was one of the absolute worst things that fans latched onto when it comes to Chinese era material.  You take a couple of comments referencing a song by a couple of people in or close to the band, and give it enough time and the expectations just skyrocket for no reason

The same unrealistic expectations gave fans a shock when "Atlas Shrugged" leaked and people realized it was just a fairly normal song that wasn't the second coming of Estranged

"The General" to me brings my GNR fandom down to earth at the realization that these songs are odd little sonic roads Axl went down and to take them for what they are and meet them where they are at

Expectations and hype aside, I don't think it's a smart move to re-establish yourself as a legacy act for the better half of an entire decade and then release "new" singles which are essentially reworked and tinkered with leftovers from the most progressive era of more than 20 years ago.

Chinese Democracy is a fucking great album to which imo Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, The General or Monsters all sound like sonic dead ends created by AI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

They have nothing to do with the released versions of any of these songs. They don't play on them and didn't write them (aside from Robin having a small percentage of the writing credit on HS).

You need to do your homework then lol...

01/01/01 show, silkworms, finck is on the stage playing "absurd turd" ...

Village leaks.... cough cough...?? 

🤦🙋🤔😆

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was worried about that after the massively negative response to Absurd on their social media (anyone remember Beta arguing with fans on Slash's Instagram?). Since that didn't affect things regarding releases, I don't think the negativity now will have any effect on whatever the plan is.

I haven't really looked at the comments on their social media, but from a quick look on Slash's IG post, although there are the usual "Slash should stick with Myles and quit GN'R" comments, there are also some positive responses.

A question for you @Blackstar

I might be attempting to make sense out of senselessness, but is it possible (to you) that they are doing this drip drop approach with songs to test the market and reactions?

For example, let’s drop Absurd - see if an experimental track, what the reaction is. Let’s drop HS, a more traditional track, see what the reaction is, etc.

With the idea of using these old songs as testing ground to determine the overall direction of a “future record”

what do you think?

18 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I wonder what Melissa, Fortus etc. really think of this release. I mean, they're all great musicians and they all look like idiots and shameless and greedy leeches because they're involved with this mess.

Girl have you heard of having a job

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:53 PM, alfa75 said:

Any chance all the distortion, clipping, etc are all part of some device to create this dark, chaotic, ambience? I would not put it past Axl ti do this.

tenor.gif

On 12/9/2023 at 4:56 PM, DarkLotus1111 said:

"Seven" is our only hope... :awesomeface::rofl-lol:

615yo-Vh-Gyn-L-AC-UF894-1000-QL80-FMwebp

22 hours ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

I just played “The General” three times in a row at the Rainbow, and they shut the jukebox off. 

haha-laughter.gif

7 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

For starters, it's a song about child abuse. Now, I'm not saying that it's the first song in the history of music, addressing this issue. But you gotta admit that it's not exactly a typical song, even if you don't like it.

Here's a real epic about abuse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Am I the only one who's worried all this negativity reaches Axl and he'll give up on releasing new stuff altogether?

I don't think The General is a bad song, I just don't like the ending. Then again I also like NiN and Marilyn Manson, so my taste in music might be a bit more diverse than the casual GNR fan.

I love Monsters though. And Perhaps is decent. That's 2 out of 3 and that ain't bad. We don't have to like each and every song.

Axl is so rich now I don’t think he cares about what people think anymore 

7 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I think that's because the leak included Monsters, so most of the talk was about how much people liked that song, and the surprise about them being switched compared to our expectations and so on. Now that all the excitement and gossip has died down, and the vinyl has released with only TG on it, the focus has shifted to that song alone. As I recall, the general consensus after the leak was "we like Monsters, don't like TG".

Spot on!

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Listened once, deleted, forgotten most of it already.

Yeah. I didn't even finish the song sadly. 

Meanwhile, The General was super disappointing. 

Personally think I'm done with the band unless they get into the studio. I like CD too, but these songs just don't do it for me at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

The general is much better in an album context and i still love to open an album with the General (with orchestral intro about 2 min) followed by Monsters and State of grace and then some more melodic tracks like Perhaps and Atlas Shrugged. 

It s the complete Side A of a Vinyl album release :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, betterman said:

The general is much better in an album context and i still love to open an album with the General (with orchestral intro about 2 min) followed by Monsters and State of grace and then some more melodic tracks like Perhaps and Atlas Shrugged. 

It s the complete Side A of a Vinyl album release :)

If you think of it the four single we got, plus atlas, monsters and state of grace individually might not be the best stuff they’ve done, but as an album I wouldn’t skip any. 
I m making my own cd 2 compilation with those seven songs and oh my god and it’s a very pleasant listen to me.

Edited by Lelex95
  • Like 2

How many more drip-fed singles will they put out before they assemble a compilation and release it on vinyl? That's what I'm really waiting for. I haven't purchased any of the 7" singles, because I simply don't have the time or patience to sit and listen to one song each side. But if they were to put out an 8 track EP of the songs on 12", I would gobble that shit up.

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

How many more drip-fed singles will they put out before they assemble a compilation and release it on vinyl? That's what I'm really waiting for. I haven't purchased any of the 7" singles, because I simply don't have the time or patience to sit and listen to one song each side. But if they were to put out an 8 track EP of the songs on 12", I would gobble that shit up.

I think it’s safe to say that at least two more are coming, slash talked about 4-6 and we got 4 so far. 
we know more exist so it could be another 4 which I honestly hope cause I love state of grace and also because a 8 track ep is almost like gnr lies 2

50 minutes ago, Towelie said:

¿Cuántos sencillos más publicarán antes de armar una compilación y lanzarla en vinilo? Eso es lo que realmente estoy esperando. No he comprado ninguno de los sencillos de 7", porque simplemente no tengo el tiempo ni la paciencia para sentarme y escuchar una canción de cada lado. Pero si sacaran un EP de 8 pistas de las canciones en 12" , me tragaría esa mierda.

Me too

52 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. :unsure::lol:

It's not perfect but there's some neat ideas here from Axl. Makes me wish he had stuck to his guns and just released a fully experimental album without worrying about whether mulletheads will accept it.

Unfortunately the AFD mulletheads wet the bed everytime Axl makes something that doesn't sound like a relic from 1987 rock radio. Presumably they're all SMKC hardcores.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Unfortunately the AFD mulletheads wet the bed everytime Axl makes something that doesn't sound like a relic from 1987 rock radio. Presumably they're all SMKC hardcores.

There’s nothing wrong with a great Rock n roll band playing that kind of music. 

But I don’t think Guns fans ever minded variety. The original band managed to play rockers, ballads, acoustic, punk etc and most of it went down well. 

The problem these days is just that the songs are shit. 

They get even more shit the more they suffer from the Frankenstein approach that Axl is so fond of. 

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

16 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

There’s nothing wrong with a great Rock n roll band playing that kind of music. 

But I don’t think Guns fans ever minded variety. The original band managed to play rockers, ballads, acoustic, punk etc and most of it went down well. 

The problem these days is just that the songs are shit. 

They get even more shit the more they suffer from the Frankenstein approach that Axl is so fond of. 

Rockers, ballads and acoustics are formats of songs punk is a genre. I don’t mean to be an ass, what I’m saying is that a rock band that plays rockers, ballads and acoustics isn’t much of a variety. 
Afd had some punk influences but you can’t really count that as them playing punk really.

didnt gnr get backlash for uyi being somewhat more orchestral and complex in terms of instrumentation than the previous stuff? 
I mean Chinese democracy is honestly a great album and most of the fans still think it’s shit cause slash isn’t on it. 

• Like 1

The trouble is, Guns have poor release history, and the last original thing the casuals heard from them, that actually came from them, was in 1991. So it’s quite understandable why now all this stuff like Absurd or The General gets the corn (and CD was considered as Axl’s solo project by many, quite understandably). HS and Perhaps are a bit closer to the "original" GNR style, but with the zero promotion and sporadic, isolated releases, they’re still asking for a flop rather than anything else. Well, if this is the way Axl has chosen...

• Like 1