What do you want them to do next?

What do you want next from GNR?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted new music but I also want them to release the rest of the CD2 stuff so I never have to think about what these songs sound like ever again. As weird as this may sound it’s kinda of a relief to finally know what the general and soul monster sound like. 

Spring: One more CD2 single - Soul Monster probably with Atlas Shrugged 

Summer: 2016 NITL DVD 

Late 2024: A brand new song, including a music video; followed by teasers and interviews and hype and shit of all kinds 

2025: A new album consisting of unused 90s stuff, rehashed CD2 stuff, and new material 

No touring until then. And then a completely renovated, different show at that. 

Dream on. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

I can't ( can with the amateur way they're managed ) that they haven't released a 2016 to 23 bluray & cd 

The selects during lockdown were OK but come on, most shows apart from festivals are pro shot by Guns...everyone else manages it, I'd love an Axl / DC one even more

Edited by DSTK
  • Like 1

Just release some big stuff. More old vault stuff, BluRay or vinyl, a compilation of the last few songs with some other ones, maybe even a few covers, start recording the big, last GNR album but make it a good one.

I'd like to see a Chinese anniversary release some day, too. Make it a cool boxset, throw in some insights by Axl (if he won't release his rumoured autobiography), a remake of the Chinese soldier shirt from the early tours, a BluRay of one of the legendary early shows maybe even, stuff like that.

Just do something that's worth the legendary band name, not some drip feed single, which barely make a splash in the music world. I thought they started some new ways with the cool Perhaps video, but somehow recently I doubt that that's the new standard.

• Like 1

Axl owes it to himself to finish the vision he had for Chinese when those sessions initially kicked off. It looks like we’re past the point of seeing an album of these songs dropping, but I’d have cherry picked the best from the sessions and released the rest as B sides. 

I want them to write new music from scratch. Preferably lots of blues based hard rock. Release an album of mostly back to roots tracks. New Slash riffs. New Axl lyrics and vocals. Lots of signature rasp. A few piano tracks like illusions, release a killer 14 track album. Do a last mega music video. Release something to coincide with a big movie. Pure fan service stuff. I’d love it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

I want them to write new music from scratch. Preferably lots of blues based hard rock. Release an album of mostly back to roots tracks. New Slash riffs. New Axl lyrics and vocals. Lots of signature rasp. A few piano tracks like illusions, release a killer 14 track album. Do a last mega music video. Release something to coincide with a big movie. Pure fan service stuff. I’d love it.

basically 1991 again. I'm not sure this is the road Axl Slash & Duff want to go down.
first, Axl's evolution with CD tends to avoid that, second Slash & Duff had their evolution
too with a more modern take with Velvet Revolver (even if very influenced by Scott)

3 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Seem the majority of vote go to "move on".

I think the Chinese vault finally lost all it's appeal now that we've heard The General and Monsters. Apart from 3 people nobody is waiting for State, Atlas and all that and the chances of some great, completely unheard of stuff is basically zero.

So, new stuff with the current band is the only option for most people still interested, I guess.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think the Chinese vault finally lost all it's appeal now that we've heard The General and Monsters. Apart from 3 people nobody is waiting for State, Atlas and all that and the chances of some great, completely unheard of stuff is basically zero.

So, new stuff with the current band is the only option for most people still interested, I guess.

My thing is, we already have Atlas and State. They have vocals, good enough for me. I'd like instrumentals like Zodiac and Oklahoma, but I doubt they all exist. We at least know what those songs are so let's move on!

4 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Just move forward, write 9-10 songs, and put out something worthwhile. It doesn't have to me this long, bloated album. Just hammer out something authentic and hang your hat on it.

:headbang:

Getting Izzy back to write with them would be great and it probably would make the process a lot easier.

But part of me would like the first song they release with Izzy back to be Tooth Puller (one of the Izzy demos for GN'R from 1995 which is rumoured to be about going to the dentist) just because I would be curious to see what the majority reaction on the forums would be. Would it be all doom and gloom because Izzy was many fans' last resort and hope? Or it would be that Izzy is so cool that he wrote a song about going to the dentist?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah I actually wouldn't mind then splitting up now.

Unless there's going to be 'new era' (and a proper one, not an F'N one for the purposes of hashtags) I just don't see much merit in them continuing other than to their bank accounts. 

I always enjoying seeing them live, but I'm not especially bothered if I never do again at this point. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Just retire I think. Axl has nothing left to say creatively and frankly hasn't since 1994.  The more he goes on, the more the legend of his genius just erodes. All the myths and assumptions we had about the Chinese Democracy era are slowly imploding one at a time. Remember the "big guns"?:facepalm: Remember when many of us thought the CD era was a fertile creative period, that Axl went on a mad tear of writing and recording 3.5 albums worth of material that he, for reasons of artistic integrity and insanity, never bothered to promote or release outside of a single album that was forced out of his hands? But now the sad truth seems to be emerging that maybe most of the material that wasn't released and "saved" for CD 2 just plain sucked and was rightfully dumped by Geffen. That would also line up with the rumors of them thinking the earlier versions of the Chinese Democracy material were also weak - this would explain the armada of CD producers needed to inject some life into this project. 3.5 albums in retrospect was more like 1.5 albums at best.

I feel bad for the people who wanted CD 2 and have been waiting years for it. Imagine waiting for a decade thinking he has "Big Guns" and getting a trilogy of turds like Absurd, Hard School, and Perhaps. The singles have proven at the very least that Rose has nothing, just running on fumes since '94 - the village leaks were shockingly poor and I was in disbelief that a talent like Axl could have been so uninspired to create material like that. Atlas is an embarrassment. It all felt like a joke. Like this GnR project was some hobby he'd pick up a few times a year when he was bored. The whole thing is sad but also funny at the same time. It seems to me like Interscope/Geffen are the biggest bag holders of all time in the music business after trusting Axl. 14 million for CD.  Imagine paying 14 million for new songs from GnR on par with AFD/Illusions and getting back stuff many years later like Riad, IRS, Atlas, Hard School, etc. Axl punked them. :lol: What a colossal waste of money, talent, and time. As Bob Ezrin said, he didn't even have a single album worth of good songs - if I'm being generous, maybe half an album's worth of top shelf material. This is what you broke up the old band for?? So Slash riding around with Snoop Dogg and jamming with Space Ghost = not good. You sitting on your ass watching Kundun with Del James in your mansion, and Buckethead/Finck/Brain jamming songs that will never be released at 3 AM in your basement = artistic integrity? This is why you wanted Duff and Slash to sign contracts as employees of new GnR? Because you were saving the band? Isn't "The General" named after the chinese takeout he had - General Tso's chicken? Am I totally off or was that the rumor on here? Wasn't there a Weird Science episode back in the day where the characters become rockstars and name their next single "Chopsticks" after looking at their Chinese takeout because they didn't give a rat's ass anymore - about their fans or the band? I'm not making that up, that's a real episode.:D

Why couldn't he just put out a butt rock album with Slash in '96 if he wasn't going to do anything with that band he proudly built with all those alt-rock guys and members of NiN? He literally poached a bunch of guys from Trent's band just so he could be like NiN and then didn't do shit with it. Seems in retrospect to me like a guy with too much power and money who was very fickle (as Duff once said) and decided to just kill his old band and rebuild it based on the kind of music he liked at the time. Just because you like Korn doesn't mean you're going to be awesome at replicating them or that your fans want to hear it. Someone in "The General" thread said (and I'm paraphrasing) that it seems like Rose just spent a few hundred hours pro-tooling these CD tracks with vocals back in 2001/2002 and that's it - just add layers, cheesy effects, a school bell on hard school, a random tasteless choir on twat, etc - no new lyrics, vocals, etc ... aside from a couple touch-ups in 2007 and early '08. And then nothing again. Basically, a lot of this stuff sounds unfinished because...it probably is. He had no idea what he was doing and Interscope was doling out millions for this. Somewhere in this mess was Yoda advising him about psychic energies and Beta/Doug Goldstein telling him about how great this new band was working out and that everything he was doing was awesome.

I'd lay better than average odds that nearly everything they have in the vault is probably just hundreds of hours of instrumental material - no vocals because Rose has such a lousy work ethic he couldn't be bothered to complete anything. He has had 25 years (since 1998) to finish this stuff. Are there even 20 finished CD songs? That means he can't even finish a single track in an entire year. Look, it was an incredible and legendary run from 87-94. Maybe just let it be, keep the legacy intact and retire. Don't give people the impression that you guys are completely washed up - let them continue to believe the myth that if the AFD 5 were reunited or even if just Slash and Axl are together again, mana from heaven will drop. After hearing The General a few times (a decent 6/10 track imho), it seems very clear to me that it would have been best for Axl to just put out one solo album of his best experimental tracks. Regardless of whether they were good or not, it would have been different enough to garner some interest and he wouldn't have been artistically compromised by being constrained by the GnR brand. That would have been a fine way to end the Axl Rose story in the mid to late 90's. But he didn't even have the balls to do that and just hid behind the GnR name while endlessly auditioning all these dudes from bands he admired and selling them some fantasy trilogy of "experimental" albums.

As for this current version of GnR that exists now, all they really have of value to fans is the archival material. If they had actual releasable stuff from the mid-90's, you might have something. That mid 90's stuff prior to the breakup has real sentimental value to the long suffering fans of this band. But Axl never completed any vocals as usual - so again, you have nothing. They have pro-recorded stuff from 88-94 that would make for a great live album/show release. How about new dolby mixes of the Illusion material. Maybe redo Illusions how Slash wanted them - a "naked" mix. How about documentaries with archival footage from the AFD and Illusions tours? They don't even have to do anything new! But all this shit is doomed because there is zero chance there will be any good packaging of archival material from the circus clowns they have managing the band. And Rose and Sash don't give a single fuck about any of this material either so you can bet that if anything comes out, it will be half assed trash not worth getting excited about. So how about new material you say? Well... Axl can't sing all that well these days - and their writing talent is a major question mark - it's a real question whether they can even put together one decent track on the level of Shotgun Blues at this point. So maybe retiring without tarnishing the legacy further would be the best way to maintain their reputation rather than turning into a cheesy legacy act like KISS.

Ouch.

I do have to say, 

Monsters is the song I've been waiting for since 2008. Great GNR tune, I'd love that on vinyl. Hopefully they do that and a few more leftovers (IF they have vocals) before moving on-

Monsters/Oklahoma

Zodiac/Seven

I am not pining for Atlas, State of Grace, or OMG (lol) as options. I am fine with the demos for those 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1