The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I thought the Miami version was really good! Slower but not helium-like...?!

Well, what can I tell you. We have different ears. No rasp there. I'm sure it would have been nice to see it live right there, but otherwise... The AfD version would be better in any case, even if only for the sake of change. 

Just now, jamillos said:

Well, what can I tell you. We have different ears. No rasp there. I'm sure it would have been nice to see it live right there, but otherwise... The AfD version would be better in any case, even if only for the sake of change. 

Ha ha - my ears aren’t the best TBF! 😂  Agreed there was minimal rasp but it was sung differently (lower) and I was OK with it albeit he sounded a bit winded at times. I also would like to hear the AFD-speed version but would be happy with either when they play Glasgow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Ha ha - my ears aren’t the best TBF! 😂  Agreed there was minimal rasp but it was sung differently (lower) and I was OK with it albeit he sounded a bit winded at times. I also would like to hear the AFD-speed version but would be happy with either when they play Glasgow.

I thought it was great too and not similar to his "helium" voice. I felt that the tones were full and fat despite there not being much grit and gravel. I was impressed by that performance, and that through a pretty lousy recording.

46 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Just listened to it again. It is great. First half could easily have been from 1988. Some thinner notes in the third refrain and towards the end but the screams were super. 

36 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I take it from the POV that this song is "made for rasp", which isn't there. Hence my suggestion of the AfD version, which is on the SOYL etc. level, ergo could sound great. 

Man, I just hope they'll adjust the playlist. 

Agree re SOYL comment. We are all agreed it needs played either style regardless! 👍

12 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Yeah, Toronto is a great bootleg. Shame we've only got a F- boot of Hamilton where Twat was supposed to be really good. For some reason the Madrid one from later in the tour was the worst ever. 

Thing is, Axl knew he was in Canada so he half assed it and saved the full rasp for Europe :P 

You must know that lying, cheating POS Chris Jericho! :D

Thats Le Champion, please and thank you. 

He's a legend. Hometown hero lol

• Like 1

One thing I don't understand. When Myles sang with his clean voice without any snarl whastoever, everyone praised him. But Axl's clean voice almost always got bashed (I mean his 2001 voice, Not rio 11 or berlin 18). 

Love Myles in Alter Bridge though. But can't stand his high falsetto in gnr songs.

• Like 1

On 23.2.2020 at 2:32 AM, lame ass security said:

Absolutely, I guarantee you he would sound so much better if he put all of his energy into singing. He could cut down on his movement and still be as dynamic.  I mean later in Elvis' career you could've drawn a 5 foot radius circle onstage that he rarely ventured out of.  But vocally he arguably sounded better than he ever did.  If you have stage presence and charisma, which Axl does, then movement is secondary,  imo.

Yeah, would be great if he reinvented himself for "the next chapter". A new, more mature look, like in 2006 or something in that direction. A real hair cut. Not dressing like a 20 year old, not running around like  a 20 year old. Focus on the singing at all times. It could be great, probably.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2020 at 3:15 AM, Gunner55 said:

Man, TIL during 2010 gave me chills. Attended a show in January of that year and was skeptical to how that song would go over live, assuming most people in attendance wouldn't be as familiar with CD material. When he got that huge ovation after the first chorus I was so fucking happy for the guy. He owned it live and you could just tell he knew it. 

Sounded amazing around that time.

The first few times they played it they stepped it down, maybe t hat could work now?

15 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Just dabbled in a bit of 2017 London first gig Youtube debauchery and it's telling to read the comments from casuals and the like... there's even some that query Slash's sound from that time let alone Axl's... boy how the ensuing years have been so cruel... 

I only see positive comments as to Axl's voice in London. Though that was a particularly good show for 2017.

4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Coachella was the pinnacle of the reunited lineup. They were on fire and Axl actually sounded like... Axl. I mean, Nightrain at Coachella sounded almost as good as the Ritz. Hopefully Axl can tap back into his 2016 capabilities later this year, but i doubt it.

Absolutely 2016 really was a great year for vocally, very  near 2010 for the most part at least in NA.

I'm just glad that 2019/2020 have been encouraging for Axl's vocals as 2018 seemed a bit shaky. 

4 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

I think his 2020 vocals are ok.

i don’t get all the hype about Axl’s 2016 vocals with GNR.
It’s on pair with his 2014 vocals.

Axl had so much more power in 2016 - and control over rasp.  While I think 2006 and 2010 are his best years vocally since the 90s, 2016 is right up there and in his best moments just as good.

• Like 2

On 29/02/2020 at 5:02 AM, El Guapo said:

Yeah, would be great if he reinvented himself for "the next chapter". A new, more mature look, like in 2006 or something in that direction. A real hair cut. Not dressing like a 20 year old, not running around like  a 20 year old. Focus on the singing at all times. It could be great, probably.

Id prefer he stays still and just wipe his head with a white towel between songs,  like elvis used to do during his vegas stint.

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 3/1/2020 at 10:30 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Coachella was the pinnacle of the reunited lineup. They were on fire and Axl actually sounded like... Axl. I mean, Nightrain at Coachella sounded almost as good as the Ritz. Hopefully Axl can tap back into his 2016 capabilities later this year, but i doubt it.

I've just listened to the 2nd Mexico show from that 1st leg, have to say on some songs Axl really did sound great and fresh. He was also quite inventive, his phrasing during Heavens door was interesting, as he improvs quite frequently in those early shows, which makes Heavens door sound quite interesting at times, especially compared to now, more varied.

Agreed about that Nightrain, its electric, maybe only Houston and one of the other early shows (I can remember, the 1st or 2nd from the US 16 leg?) competes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, koldbeer2 said:

I've just listened to the 2nd Mexico show from that 1st leg, have to say on some songs Axl really did sound great and fresh. He was also quite inventive, his phrasing during Heavens door was interesting, as he improvs quite frequently in those early shows, which makes Heavens door sound quite interesting at times, especially compared to now, more varied.

Agreed about that Nightrain, its electric, maybe only Houston and one of the other early shows (I can remember, the 1st or 2nd from the US 16 leg?) competes.

That 2nd Mexico show has the best NITL Estranged IIRC, it was much more raspy than the rest. It was a rainy night, but I don't remember if that was the first or second night. Or both :lol:

On 01/03/2020 at 10:40 PM, WhazUp said:

Axl had so much more power in 2016 - and control over rasp.  While I think 2006 and 2010 are his best years vocally since the 90s, 2016 is right up there and in his best moments just as good.

Very strange how it only lasted that year. He really needs to start working on his vocals again. 

I just listened to your crazy from Miami.  I thought it sounded great. He used a different voice instead of some of the clean high notes and used the rasp where it was needed.  Haven’t been able to listen to many songs from that now that we can’t post anything, so I’m not sure how the rest of the show was.  I’d be happy hearing that version in Detroit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...