Jump to content

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

"There's people in Africa happy if they have food, I doubt many of you worry about them". Can't do much 'skewing' of that. It's saying people here don't care about people in Africa, which is absurd. 

There's ALWAYS someone worse off in life, yes. By your logic though, no one can call anything bullshit unless there is no-one worse off than them! 

 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm so sick of this "the people who are complaining must not be able to afford the tickets" line of thinking we've been seeing today. 

I'm not rich by any means and I could easily go to both Vegas shows if I so chose. I'm not going to but that's beside the point. Whether or not users on this forum can afford the tickets has zero to do with the fact that the prices themselves are obscene. 

 

34 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

"There's people in Africa happy if they have food, I doubt many of you worry about them". Can't do much 'skewing' of that. It's saying people here don't care about people in Africa, which is absurd. 

There's ALWAYS someone worse off in life, yes. By your logic though, no one can call anything bullshit unless there is no-one worse off than them! 

 

It was a broader point, but it is lost. It's fine, no offence meant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mysteron said:

 

It was a broader point, but it is lost. It's fine, no offence meant

Fair enough. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm so sick of this "the people who are complaining must not be able to afford the tickets" line of thinking we've been seeing today. 

I'm not rich by any means and I could easily go to both Vegas shows if I so chose. I'm not going to but that's beside the point. Whether or not users on this forum can afford the tickets has zero to do with the fact that the prices themselves are obscene. 

If they played Hammersmith or somewhere, I would probably pay it. I've had meals more expensive. Just me though. (Just to say that we save for this, and it is normally something special as part of a holiday etc..)

Maybe if the band could do some fan concerts like we had years ago at smaller venues at better prices, that would help

Edited by Mysteron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.6.2019 at 2:50 PM, RussTCB said:

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please have some sort of surprise lined up for us in the way of new music in order to support these tour dates.

Since the tour is just a continuation of the last tour...no way.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would take something truly special for me to shell out $1000 for a show.

I'm talking Layne Staley coming back from the dead for a one off AIC show :lol:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

It would take something truly special for me to shell out $1000 for a show.

I'm talking Layne Staley coming back from the dead for a one off AIC show :lol:

Considering dio is looking at doing a hologram of ronnie dio for upcoming shows, that could eventuate once queen work out how to do this with freddie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Considering dio is looking at doing a hologram of ronnie dio for upcoming shows, that could eventuate once queen work out how to do this with freddie.

I've always maintained it's only a matter of time before a corpse of someone goes on tour; they reel it out, backing band plays, people gawp at it and say things like "well, it's the next best thing to seeing him play" or "I missed the chance to see him when he was alive, so no way am I going to miss this." 

It'll happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

I've always maintained it's only a matter of time before a corpse of someone goes on tour; they reel it out, backing band plays, people gawp at it and say things like "well, it's the next best thing to seeing him play" or "I missed the chance to see him when he was alive, so no way am I going to miss this." 

It'll happen. 

Agree, i think elvis old band tried to do it with elvis a couple of years ago but dont know the outcome of that. As technology gets better it will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree, i think elvis old band tried to do it with elvis a couple of years ago but dont know the outcome of that. As technology gets better it will happen.

With a corpse?! I know they did it with a hologram, but I hadn't heard that. I'll be pleased if it's true - I've been telling people it will happen for years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, for years artist would charge “fair” prices for their tickets and scalpers would sell them at inflated prices because that’s ultimately what the market will bear.  Artists have decided to be their own scalpers since they figure they should make the most money from their performances rather than an independent scalper.

It is what it is. 

Is it crazy for the average Joe like myself. Yep. Makes zero sense. But I don’t have fuck you money. It’s the same reason I don’t get too upset at not being able to afford to have GNR play my birthday party, when other people can and have.  

If the market will bear $2k seats in Vegas, then so be it. 

If not, well, be prepared to see some pretty hefty  price cutting closer to the date. 

We’ve seen this at many GNR concerts as well as last year’s Locked and Loaded Box set. 

Guns N’ Roses is a business first and foremost. This should be apparent to anyone paying attention the last twenty years. Not ideal for us fans, but as I said before, it is what it is. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

 

It was a broader point, but it is lost. It's fine, no offence meant

You didn't say anything that was over anyone's head. Your overall point was just incorrect is all.

44 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

If they played Hammersmith or somewhere, I would probably pay it. I've had meals more expensive. Just me though. (Just to say that we save for this, and it is normally something special as part of a holiday etc..)

Maybe if the band could do some fan concerts like we had years ago at smaller venues at better prices, that would help

:lol:I've had meals that expensive too but I've never felt the need to mention it on this forum as if that somehow validates what I can afford or what the band should be charging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You didn't say anything that was over anyone's head. Your overall point was just incorrect is all.

:lol:I've had meals that expensive too but I've never felt the need to mention it on this forum as if that somehow validates what I can afford or what the band should be charging. 

I'll go with my other point was incorrect. But you cannot invalidate me as a person who would pay more for a smaller venue or an expensive dinner. That is my choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, downzy said:

Look, for years artist would charge “fair” prices for their tickets and scalpers would sell them at inflated prices because that’s ultimately what the market will bear.  Artists have decided to be their own scalpers since they figure they should make the most money from their performances rather than an independent scalper.

It is what it is. 

Is it crazy for the average Joe like myself. Yep. Makes zero sense. But I don’t have fuck you money. It’s the same reason I don’t get too upset at not being able to afford to have GNR play my birthday party, when other people can and have.  

If the market will bear $2k seats in Vegas, then so be it. 

If not, well, be prepared to see some pretty hefty  price cutting closer to the date. 

We’ve seen this at many GNR concerts as well as last year’s Locked and Loaded Box set. 

Guns N’ Roses is a business first and foremost. This should be apparent to anyone paying attention the last twenty years. Not ideal for us fans, but as I said before, it is what it is. 

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

I'll go with my other point was incorrect. But you cannot invalidate me as a person who would pay more for a smaller venue or an expensive dinner. That is my choice. 

Did you not see the part where I was telling everyone who said they're going that I'm happy for them and I hope they have a great time? 

In short, none of this has anything to do with what each person can afford. It's about what each person sees the value in. Just because someone chooses to go to an expensive dinner or concert and someone else chooses not to does not make either side superior to the other. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Did you not see the part where I was telling everyone who said they're going that I'm happy for them and I hope they have a great time? 

In short, none of this has anything to do with what each person can afford. It's about what each person sees the value in. Just because someone chooses to go to an expensive dinner or concert and someone else chooses not to does not make either side superior to the other. 

Ur first paragraph is nice. 

I have no idea how my comments helter skeltered to where its at, but I'll go with ur first paragraph. I think the smaller venue will be a great experience 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

Ur first paragraph is nice. 

I have no idea how my comments helter skeltered to where its at, but I'll go with ur first paragraph. I think the smaller venue will be a great experience 

We're all in agreement that a smaller venue is cool. 

The disagreements came about when people started trying to justify the insane prices the band is charging for those two shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The disagreements came about when people started trying to justify the insane prices the band is charging for those two shows. 

I think there's little justification for those prices in any real objective sense.  I hate paying anything above $100 for a concert since it's so momentary.  Live music is great and all, but real money for a concert experience doesn't sit well with me.  That said, everyone is different and many might find what I spend on replacement heads for my electric toothbrush (Philips Diamond Clean, FYI) might be crazy.  

If there are people out there who truly see the value of spending a couple of grand to see GNR in a small venue, then so be it.  Not how I would spend my money, but apparently there are those out there willing to fork over thousands to meet a rock star in person.  It only makes sense there's enough people out there who'd spend a small fortune to have a somewhat unique concert experience.  I don't necessarily begrudge the band for charging what a number of people are willing to pay.  The only time I take issue with a band is when they misread a market and have to discount tickets closer to the date.  It penalizes (to a certain degree) those who jumped on early.  If GNR can sell out a 4000 person venue with sky high tickets, well, good for them.  

Could I afford it if I had to.  Sure.  Will I?  Absolutely not.  Those criticizing others for not being able to afford it are missing the point.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, downzy said:

Look, for years artist would charge “fair” prices for their tickets and scalpers would sell them at inflated prices because that’s ultimately what the market will bear.  Artists have decided to be their own scalpers since they figure they should make the most money from their performances rather than an independent scalper.

It is what it is. 

Is it crazy for the average Joe like myself. Yep. Makes zero sense. But I don’t have fuck you money. It’s the same reason I don’t get too upset at not being able to afford to have GNR play my birthday party, when other people can and have.  

If the market will bear $2k seats in Vegas, then so be it. 

If not, well, be prepared to see some pretty hefty  price cutting closer to the date. 

We’ve seen this at many GNR concerts as well as last year’s Locked and Loaded Box set. 

Guns N’ Roses is a business first and foremost. This should be apparent to anyone paying attention the last twenty years. Not ideal for us fans, but as I said before, it is what it is. 

I get your point but GNR has taken it to another level. It's beyond 'being the scalper', that's the kind of thing that lead to $200-350 tickets for most of the NITL tour, which was also ridiculous but understandable. But the prices for the Vegas show are just extortionate. Now I'm definitely not rich but I *could* buy a ticket to one of those shows, like I could have bought a Locked N Loaded box-set, but just because I could throw that money at the band doesn't mean it's worth it. It comes across as a big 'fuck you' to the fanbase, as the shows get closer I'm sure they'll discount the tickets but they'll probably still be more expensive than regular tickets.

I guess my line of thinking is, for example, when NuGNR played shows in Vegas between 2011-2014 they managed to keep tourists/casual fans filling the venue, but ticket prices were reasonable. Why do they think, 4 years into the NITL tour, they can suddenly charge $1000 for tickets just because it's a smaller venue in Vegas? It seems like they're just waiting to discount the tickets, so they can advertise that they're 'discounted', while still ridiculously overcharging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

But the prices for the Vegas show are just extortionate

Extortion is when you're being forced to do something.  Nobody is forcing you to see a GNR show.  

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It comes across as a big 'fuck you' to the fanbase

$1k for a box set could be viewed as fuck you to the fanbase.

$750 VIP seats, the only means of sitting in the first seven rows, during the NITL tour could be seen as a fuck you to the fanbase. 

The fact that we're now on year three of a tour without any hint of new music could be considered a fuck you to the fanbase.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but just where do you want to draw the line here? 

For me it's in line of what this tour and band has been about for the last three years: maximizing income.  I don't doubt there aren't interpersonal and music reasons for it happening, but let's not kid ourselves: this is an operation to make money.  

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

but they'll probably still be more expensive than regular tickets.

As they should be, since outside of the Troubadour and Apollo shows they haven't played smaller venues.  How much more expensive?  Well, I suppose that depends on the person.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I guess my line of thinking is, for example, when NuGNR played shows in Vegas between 2011-2014 they managed to keep tourists/casual fans filling the venue, but ticket prices were reasonable. Why do they think, 4 years into the NITL tour, they can suddenly charge $1000 for tickets just because it's a smaller venue in Vegas? It seems like they're just waiting to discount the tickets, so they can advertise that they're 'discounted', while still ridiculously overcharging.

Axl + Slash + Duff + Small Venue + Vegas (playground of the fuck you moneyed) = Insane Ticket Prices

Axl + a bunch of guys nobody has heard outside the fan forums = moderately priced tickets

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

We're all in agreement that a smaller venue is cool. 

The disagreements came about when people started trying to justify the insane prices the band is charging for those two shows. 

 

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

I think there's little justification for those prices in any real objective sense.  I hate paying anything above $100 for a concert since it's so momentary.  Live music is great and all, but real money for a concert experience doesn't sit well with me.  That said, everyone is different and many might find what I spend on replacement heads for my electric toothbrush (Philips Diamond Clean, FYI) might be crazy.  

If there are people out there who truly see the value of spending a couple of grand to see GNR in a small venue, then so be it.  Not how I would spend my money, but apparently there are those out there willing to fork over thousands to meet a rock star in person.  It only makes sense there's enough people out there who'd spend a small fortune to have a somewhat unique concert experience.  I don't necessarily begrudge the band for charging what a number of people are willing to pay.  The only time I take issue with a band is when they misread a market and have to discount tickets closer to the date.  It penalizes (to a certain degree) those who jumped on early.  If GNR can sell out a 4000 person venue with sky high tickets, well, good for them.  

Could I afford it if I had to.  Sure.  Will I?  Absolutely not.  Those criticizing others for not being able to afford it are missing the point.  

There should be no criticism anywhere. Going with Russ' point. The tickets are for the people who see value in the prices. There are other venues, and other tickets for other people 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

 

There should be no criticism anywhere. Going with Russ' point. The tickets are for the people who see value in the prices. There are other venues, and other tickets for other people 

I mean, to a certain extent.  

I understand there are those who thought rolling in a GNR show during a Vegas trip would be a fun excursion.  It's disappointing that because GNR is asking for a weekly pay check for tickets they may not get to take that trip they were hoping for.  So I get the disappointment.  Sporting events and music concerts are turning into events exclusive solely for the rich.  That is a sad proposition when you think about it.  

I looked at perhaps going to Vegas to see Aerosmith as an excuse to visit and see both.  But when I saw the prices Aerosmith wanted for their residency shows I balked.  It's a shame for me.  But at the same time, if there are 4000 people willing to pay it or see value, then why shouldn't the band charge that amount for the seats.  Same thing happened earlier when I looked at seeing The Black Keys in my home town.  I just couldn't justify what they wanted per ticket.  Concert tickets in general are way too high.  GNR is taking it to the next level with Vegas, but if the market bears it, so be it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, downzy said:

Extortion is when you're being forced to do something.  Nobody is forcing you to see a GNR show. 

Yea, poor wording on my part, but it's more a case of: now the people who really want to see the show will have to pay high-roller ticket prices. It's blatant gouging.

 

2 hours ago, downzy said:

$1k for a box set could be viewed as fuck you to the fanbase.

$750 VIP seats, the only means of sitting in the first seven rows, during the NITL tour could be seen as a fuck you to the fanbase. 

The fact that we're now on year three of a tour without any hint of new music could be considered a fuck you to the fanbase.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but just where do you want to draw the line here? 

For me it's in line of what this tour and band has been about for the last three years: maximizing income.  I don't doubt there aren't interpersonal and music reasons for it happening, but let's not kid ourselves: this is an operation to make money. 

I know it's about the money first and foremost but that's why the regular NITL tickets are understandable, both in regards to profit and dealing with scalpers. Shit I paid what was (at the time) one of the highest GNR ticket prices when they announced the Vegas 2016 shows, I got whatever the cheapest VIP package was that came with a pit ticket because I figured it'd still be a better deal than buying an aftermarket pit ticket. It wasn't $750 but still a lot of money. But these 'small venue in Vegas' prices take it to a new extreme for the band.

Tbh I'm not sure where I draw the line, I don't even think there's a line to draw because I don't really expect anything from the band at this point. I just want them to not out-do themselves in terms of fuck-ups. Pit tickets starting at $1000 is worse than the L&L box starting at $1000 - at least you can re-play the music in the L&L box. But both things come across as a 'fuck you'.

 

2 hours ago, downzy said:

As they should be, since outside of the Troubadour and Apollo shows they haven't played smaller venues.  How much more expensive?  Well, I suppose that depends on the person.

Axl + Slash + Duff + Small Venue + Vegas (playground of the fuck you moneyed) = Insane Ticket Prices

Axl + a bunch of guys nobody has heard outside the fan forums = moderately priced tickets

I mean, they played an 8,000~ capacity venue in Japan with regular prices, which is basically the same as 2 nights at a 4,000 seat venue. But yea it's rare that they play to small crowds.

I feel like at this point, it's basically all about the novelty of saying 'I saw Axl [and Slash and Duff] in a small venue in Vegas' or just having something to do while you're in town, and that's where I think the current band is comparable to NuGNR. I still don't think the prices are reflective of the novelty, though.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Considering dio is looking at doing a hologram of ronnie dio for upcoming shows, that could eventuate once queen work out how to do this with freddie.

They've already taken the Dio hologram on the road. Touring with it now.

3 hours ago, Mysteron said:

 

There should be no criticism anywhere. Going with Russ' point. The tickets are for the people who see value in the prices. There are other venues, and other tickets for other people 

Ok, but what if the other venues are too far away and Vegas is the only reasonably close one? That's my situation. If I had the option to go to a different show I would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×