Matt Sorum's Autobiography

4 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

She didn't say anything negative about Axl, though. It was all praise for Axl while she did her best to depict Stephanie as a horrible person.

is logic she didn't nothing negative about Axl, he is she "boss", i just refer she is enough indiscreet about his private life , when own Axl is very private person.

Not a great book in comparison to Duff’s. Matt comes across as a pretty shallow person. 

Slash & Duff picked him to be in Guns N’Roses..there must of been lots of drummers to choose from so I think that in itself deserves some respect. He gives no compliments to the drummer he replaced, Steven. Not sure what makes him think he’s above Dizzy to be honest. I can see why he’s not in the band now & to put it all on Duff isn’t fair...he must know that the person who is calling the shots is Axl. 

Getting on Metallica’s plane (while in the cult) and deserting his own band pretty much sums up Matt.

Frank in comparison comes into the crowd to watch the support acts before gigs. 

Edited by reayj2003
  • Like 2

I pre-ordered the Kindle version and it was sent to me the day it was supposed to come out. I downloaded it then, and although they then changed the date, I have it and that's what I've shared in some of my updates. 

I'm not sure if you can find versions elsewhere. Feel free to PM if you have any ideas.

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yep. But actually it also was Glen who played on the first album. So it was Glen's gig all along, Matt just jumped in for that first tour.

He only plays drums on 5 songs on the record, then there's guests on the others. And it's Duff and Matt on As Bad As I Am which was added as a bonus track on the deluxe version of the record. So Glen didn't play the entire album.

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

When is this book officially coming out? 

Never

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

He only plays drums on 5 songs on the record, then there's guests on the others. And it's Duff and Matt on As Bad As I Am which was added as a bonus track on the deluxe version of the record. So Glen didn't play the entire album.

Never

Yes. But Matt played zero. And Glen is the Drummer when they don't have guests. As bad as I am was added after the fact.

14 minutes ago, gokken said:

So how would I do to get the book? I would love to read this! Is it to late to get the digital version?

Yeah, seconding this question,  I'd really like to read the book now as well. (I've searched, but my usual sources for stuff like that are failing me.)

Edited by loke212

Funny how Matt mentions how dumb Slash and Duff are, also how they don't shower etc.

I read somewhere Slash got busted not flushing or wiping back in the day at a recording studio?!!? ROFL

I remember in the early days he broke a neck on a guitar just cutting the strings off all at the same time when changing them and a tech had to show him how to do it properly.

In the year in the life Metallica videos he admits he doesn't even know how to turn on his amps.

Crazy times

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Never

So I've read a lot of people claiming that the release of the book has been cancelled. I've tried to find more source by googling, to no avail. How do you know that the release has been cancelled? 

BTW, I've just read that the book was co-written by two swedes. One of them (Martin Svensson) was a famous bubblegum pop singer in sweden during the late 90's- early 00's. A little bit of trivia for y'all. 

Link to his most famous song (if you're interested):

9 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

So I've read a lot of people claiming that the release of the book has been cancelled. I've tried to find more source by googling, to no avail. How do you know that the release has been cancelled? 

A rock journalist, Matt Wake, tweeted it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Are you referring to him meeting with Axl in 2006? For anyone not familiar, here is the story:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-hangs-out-with-axl-rose-in-new-york-city/

Reason I ask is because in 06 Matt said he hadn’t seen Axl for 6 years, so quite intrigued to know what happened when they met in 2000! Hadn’t heard any info on that before.

IIRC they ran into each other in a bathroom or something at a hotel and it didn't go as well as the later meeting did. This was right around the time Live Era came out and I think they got into it over that. 

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

the state of this band is truly laughable 

It is.

To think just four years ago, we looked at Duff and Slash's return as sort of a rebirth of the classic Guns N' Roses.

Unfortunate that Alan Niven is not the manager of this band in 2020. He's the only guy that forced them to work.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

It was removed from the publisher's website.

cached version

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:P0feC3ONgO4J:https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/double-talkin--jive-products-9781641601542.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

current version

https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/double-talkin--jive-products-9781641601542.php

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Creed said:

In general, don't get in a relationship with girls that aint funny. Its pointless, if you cant laugh with your girl. And Steph was definately not a funny person.

Yeah, she seems like the exact opposite of "fun". Definitely doesn't strike me as someone you could have a good laugh or even a decent conversation with.

7 hours ago, Ratam said:

I find disgusting that Beta talk about the Axl's and Seymour relationships in such poor taste. She seem my neighboring of the next door. She isn't seem be management of an great band.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, she did those interviews in Brazil and Axl may not have known what she said exactly (although some of them were translated into English and posted on GnR fansites). This one was with an online women's magazine in Brazil.

I didn't know that. It was a long time ago, but I still remember reading these translated interviews with Beta (and also Fernando I think) because it was the first time I felt a bit weirded out by TB. The way they talked about Axl sort of made it sound like they were talking about a child rather than their boss (might have had something to do with the translations I read though). And man, I'm glad for Axl if Beta and family can provide him with the family atmosphere and affection that had been lacking in his life, but these interviews still struck me as somewhat strange, enough that I wasn't even sure if they were real. Always kind of suspected they were made up, but good to know there is at least some kind of source for these (or at least that specific interview), thanks.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, loke212 said:

I didn't know that. It was a long time ago, but I still remember reading these translated interviews with Beta (and also Fernando I think) because it was the first time I felt a bit weirded out by TB. The way they talked about Axl sort of made it sound like they were talking about a child rather than their boss (might have had something to do with the translations I read though). And man, I'm glad for Axl if Beta and family can provide him with the family atmosphere and affection that had been lacking in his life, but these interviews still struck me as somewhat strange, enough that I wasn't even sure if they were real. Always kind of suspected they were made up, but good to know there is at least some kind of source for these (or at least that specific interview), thanks.

Yeah, I'd seen these translated interviews posted on various places without a reference to a source (e.g. a magazine) or an exact date, and I saw that other fans, like you, questioned their authenticity (and I could see why). 

Then, as I was collecting articles for our huge GnR database at a-4-d.com  (https://www.a-4-d.com/t2861-interview-and-article-index ), I tried to find the sources of these interviews and dug into Brazilian sources, and finally I found the sources and the original interviews in Portuguese (except for the Fernando interview where I couldn't find the Portuguese text but I found the source) and re-translated them here with the help of google (I think the first one wasn't translated - I haven't seen it circulating):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4741-2001-01-16-o-globo-interview-with-doug-goldstein-and-beta-lebeis

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4758-2001-01-22-bolsa-de-mulher-interview-with-beta-lebeis

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4692-2001-07-01-o-estado-de-s-paulo-interview-with-beta-lebeis

(Btw, proofreading of the translations by Portuguese speakers would be appreciated :) )

EDIT: On topic, in the second interview Beta says "The drummer was drunk" which makes some sense now with what Matt wrote in his book about his last days in GnR.

Edited by Blackstar
  • GNFNR 1