09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

11 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Been off this forum since June after seeing Guns. Can't believe how pathetically negative people are still about Axl's voice to shows they didn't even attend. He's about 100 shows in making $5.5M per show. I'm surprised he's even still showing up on time. It's pretty obvious that he's just not warming up before shows anymore. I can't believe some of the retarded opinions that are still floating around here. "Oh Axl's just deteriorating due to age." What? In a matter of months?! Lol. He just doesn't care anymore, that's it. He still sounds good when it's something new he's singing or when there's anything that even closely resembles variety. The guy is just phoning it in, plain and simple. I would be after doing the same fucking thing 130 times. Especially if the crowd is satisfied (which they always are) why bother to use 100% vocal compression which is strenuous when people are happy with clean vocals for over half the show? (Internet dwellers aside) He's probably thinking "fuck MyGNRForum. Those fuckers are complaining about shit they haven't even paid to see."

Yes. Rio was a bad show. Still doesn't mean Axl doesn't have it anymore though. That opinion is stupid when he's proven otherwise on this very tour and with AC/DC. He just can't be assed putting as much effort in this far in to the tour. Like a relationship. Its fun and exciting for the first 6 months then it all becomes routine and you start looking for a new one. Once there's a new incentive (AC/DC or new material) he'll sound incredible again and you'll all be jumping all over his dick.

Btw, the comments saying that Slash should reunite with Myles because "Axl can't sing" are cancerous. That is the worst idea. Guns with Axl and Slash in any shape or form is infinitely better than SMKC.

Fair enough but his performance on Coma sounded a lot worse than just someone who didn't really care/who hadn't warmed up. It sounded to me like Axl was really struggling to get through the song. And that's really what's being discussed here mostly - whether the man has pushed himself too hard and needs a well deserved break to recuperate. They've done a 100+ shows - that would take a huge toll on a 20 or 30 year old singer - let alone a guy in his mid 50's who is singing stuff as demanding as the GnR songs and running across the stage for 3+ hrs.

28 minutes ago, Zoot said:

They're all starting to be bad shows though... where's the good ones? :lol:

The last bunch of shows before RiR '17 were killer for the most part so you're blowing things out of proportion. I was hoping Rio would kick-ass too but shit happens. Maybe Axl caught a bad cold? Nobody knows except for them <_<

Edited by Crowebar
Typo

Say what you will about how there are those of us who are complaining about Axl's voice at shows we are not attending but that's the exact reason why I am not going to see this band in October. 

Rio was a bad show? Well so was Apollo. The only two professional recordings from this semi reunion and they sound like dog shit.

I'm glad I saw them in 2016.

2 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Say what you will about how there are those of us who are complaining about Axl's voice at shows we are not attending but that's the exact reason why I am not going to see this band in October. 

Rio was a bad show? Well so was Apollo. The only two professional recordings from this semi reunion and they sound like dog shit.

I'm glad I saw them in 2016.

If you of all people are saying this - yikes. 

I thought he was fine in Nijmegen in July, only listened untill DTJ from RiR, but its obvious he is way way worse. Screams like in WTTJ are also shorter, less intense. Its really a pity to see. I hope they aren't planning on adding some arena dates here in Europe in winter or doing festivals in summer. He really needs to lay low for a while and recuperate. 

Also, could it have something to do with heat/humidity? I remember seeing a Foo Fighers proshot of a South American show, and obviously Dave Grohl isnt the greatest singer out there, but I've seen them live quite some times (and seen a bunch of proshots of concerts and festivals) and he was also way worse than I've seen or heard him before.

Edited by LovelessNL
  • GNFNR 1

28 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So a “fan”, in your opinion, must post only positive things about the band? I’m sure you also love The Beta and Team Brazil

Dude I just got sick of the negativity going on around. Everyone's acting like a spoiled kid who can never be pleased. This is the first pro-shot of this band and all I hear is complain here and there, like they are owed a lot. Anyway, done making a point. We're all into this band at the end of the day. So I'm not one of those ass who would keep provoking. I apologize if I had offended you in anyway. *Kiss and make up* :heart:

• Like 3

Sick of the negativity? Dude, was an awful show and thats it, if you were paying attention on the forum since the begining of the tour you'd see that most of us praise the band when they do a good job, you'd see that weeks ago we're all praising Axl's phenomenal performance on I feel Good and Lineman, you're the one sticking to the negative side of it. It was a bad show, we're fans and we're here to talk about the band.

Of course we all expected this show to be killer, we all expected the band/Axl to rehearse and give a 1000% cause they knew the whole world would be looking at them, this is the most important gig they had since they got back so its just natural we assume it'd be killer. What happened with Axl isnt technical difficulties, it is a guy that had two weeks off and probably didnt even try to rehearse a single note. He is human, yeah, but he is still on duty and yes, he fuckin OWES it to every fan of his.

I'm seeing them tomorrow in São Paulo, I bet my ass he'll sound better.

• Like 3

I only saw the first handful of songs before falling asleep.  I thought they were fine, really. :shrugs:

But I will say, I've surprised myself that I havent wanted to watch it since.  I dont think its about comments on the performance - I think Im over this tour.  Hopefully I can continue to enjoy it till it wraps.  

I did watch the Yesterdays from it and thought Slash's solo was poorly executed, as is often the case IMO when he uses a cleaner and smaller tone on this tour.  Timing and phrasing is really off.

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I understand how it can look like that to some people but I really don't think that's the thing. I think many people here root for GN'R & Axl but when they see/hear shows like this, it's just hard to justify in any way, shape or form. 

Exactly, anyone can go back and read the Houston, Detroit, Philly thread from 2016 and see the same people not happy by the performance at Rio were the same people thrilled by what they were hearing from that leg. 

There was an issue with nearly every single song at Rio. There's no excuse for that. You can scream rock n roll but the facts are it didn't sound good. I like rock music but not shitty rock performances. 

The band has to know it was a bad performance, but the money or something is allowing them to turn a blind eye to it...or deaf ears. 

And I don't mind them pulling this stuff at any other show..it's whatever, fans say it sounds good to them at the shows so that's great. But to have a show that thousands of fans are tuning into from around the world and the highest grossing touring band puts on that performance..it's just plain bad. No excuses

• GNFNR 1

hope i don't get flamed for this, but i didn't watch the show. i just can't be arsed.

that's not to say i don't love these guys, till the end of days. because this band means everything to me, man.

the belgian show i saw this summer, was beyond the most awesome thing i have ever witnessed, warts and all.

i listen to appetite almost daily (well, make that weekly actually).

when i jam on the guitar, there's always some appetite and lies tunes that i love to play.

so why didnt i watch the rio concert yet? i dunno. was steven or izzy there? no? then i guess we have our answer.

8 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Exactly, anyone can go back and read the Houston, Detroit, Philly thread from 2016 and see the same people not happy by the performance at Rio were the same people thrilled by what they were hearing from that leg. 

There was an issue with nearly every single song at Rio. There's no excuse for that. You can scream rock n roll but the facts are it didn't sound good. I like rock music but not shitty rock performances. 

The band has to know it was a bad performance, but the money or something is allowing them to turn a blind eye to it...or deaf ears. 

And I don't mind them pulling this stuff at any other show..it's whatever, fans say it sounds good to them at the shows so that's great. But to have a show that thousands of fans are tuning into from around the world and the highest grossing touring band puts on that performance..it's just plain bad. No excuses

Yup I was even at the Detroit. Very powerful performance, one of the best concerts I have ever seen. I was gushing over Axl and the band in 2016. 

I do not want Axl to fail, I am not happy about Rio. What I heard was not passable

• GNFNR 1

All of us care about this band a lot, that's obvious. I know I do, this band and their music has helped me so much. It's BECAUSE we care, that I think many of us are so hard on Axl. He literally proved during AXL/DC that he can still smash it. The Axl we know and love is still there. Over time, of course doing all these shows will exhaust his voice, doing 3 hour shows will do that to a guy in his 50's. It's not 1991 anymore, I think we've all accepted that. But if the rasp and infamous Axl voice is there, why not just use it??? (this is a metaphorical question, we've all listed several reasons as to why he's not). I just wish he'd give us an answer to that question, to hear it directly from the source. I love Axl by the way, Slash and Duff, etc, the whole band, but I know when to put heat on them when I feel the need to voice my opinion on this. As a casual fan, I enjoyed the Rock in Rio performance, but as someone who has scoured the net for bootlegs, old concerts, watching old interviews, AXL/DC gigs, other solid gigs from the NA tour last year etc, I know they all could've done more. 

Edited by GNRfanJen
I wanted to add something to my post.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Crowebar said:

The last bunch of shows before RiR '17 were killer for the most part so you're blowing things out of proportion. I was hoping Rio would kick-ass too but shit happens. Maybe Axl caught a bad cold? Nobody knows except for them <_<

👍👍👍

• Like 1