Rumor of a new album???

2 hours ago, DangerousCurves said:

I'm just gonna stand here and hold the torch of hope. Hell, I have been for decades now, a little longer won't hurt. 

I'll hold it with you. :D  I don't mind being the optimist and I don't mind the odds.  Which movie character says that...something about don't tell me the odds...? I forget. lol

30 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

It's in their best interest to take their time, because if they record this album with the "hybrid" lineup and it doesn't come close to Appetite/Illusions......

tenor.gif?itemid=4425169

Nothing they do now would ever come close to Appetite or Illusions. Those records were the height of their creativity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Nothing they do now would ever come close to Appetite or Illusions. Those records were the height of their creativity. 

they just need to top chinese democracy and people might accept it with slash and duff. axl has a lot of recorded material from that era so if it's any good some of it can be used.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I think they are the only rock n roll band that could do a great album in pair with their past material right now. I dont expect Brownstone, Dont Cry and Patience but I do expect Estranged, Locomotive and COMA. The ingredients are there, both of them never became stale or washed. 

• Like 2

Quite interessting when you think about it - is there really THAT much pressure anyway?

I guess an "only good"album would make everybody happy. 2 really strong songs/ singles, one rocker, one ballad.

It's not like a new Foo Fighters or U2 or Metallica album sets the world on fire these days.

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Quite interessting when you think about it - is there really THAT much pressure anyway?

I guess an "only good"album would make everybody happy. 2 really strong songs/ singles, one rocker, one ballad.

It's not like a new Foo Fighters or U2 or Metallica album sets the world on fire these days.

I'm not sure if a ''good album'' would make everybody happy. Maybe the ones that are more realistic, but I think that there will be many people who will compare it to AFD and UYI and like I said, there's no way that they can compete with those albums.

I don’t think there is any pressure or expectations at all with GNR with any album. It was different back in early 90’s when they were one of the biggest bands about. You had Axl that wanted to keep the band more current and Slash that seemed to want a straight up rock album and that’s where it started going wrong. Today most people will just be happy to have a GNR sounding album with Axl and Slash on it. Wether it’s an AFD type album or a more UYI sounding album wont matter. 

A new album will never match up to AFD and probably UYI but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make a new album. 

• Like 1

This conversation makes me think about the Stones.  They release albums with one minor hit and everyones happy and they tour stadiums based on it.  And prior to that theyd already been in decline album-wise and only needed one major hit to keep it all going.  I just wonder if given the long wait GNR has had will make for a bigger expectation?

People are naive if they think that, at least a big part of the fanbase, won't compare a new GnR album (that consists out of three original members) with the old records. It's inevitable.

2 hours ago, soon said:

I just wonder if given the long wait GNR has had will make for a bigger expectation?

Definitely.

Edited by EvanG

It took Guns`n`Roses forever to make that Chinese Democracy album and that was poor compared to Appetite for Destruction.

If they gonna record a new album then God knows who long it will take but nobody should expect something in the same class as Appetite for Destruction.

I feel like the only way this could happen anytime soon is if the 3 of them work through the leftover CD stuff and re record the best of them, or if they come at it from an Illusions style where axl slash and duff have their own bits/songs/ideas and they all kind of have chunks of the album that are defined as "slash" "Axl" and "duff" songs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

They probably won't come close to those albums anyway, even with Izzy on board, because for most fans those albums are part of their childhood or adolescence, so it's more than just music, and no band can compete with nostalgia and the experience of hearing that kind of music for the first time. 

Though I am a fan of Chinese Democracy  - there is no doubt its reception was weighted against those original albums Axl was a part of.

There is no doubt this new album will be weighed against the originals - and I think it will end up being the primary point of discussion when judging the new album.

Factor into the equation that all original members are alive and able to record an album - fans and critics will point out what is versus what could have been.

TL/DR - Winter is coming.........

4 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I think "Chinese Democracy II" would be a great name. Opening song could be a remake of Chinese Democracy with Slash & Duffs input. I would really like that.

Only way I'd be interested in hearing officially released versions of CD material with Duff & Slash would be a live album or as studio bonus tracks to something else. 

• Like 1