Axl, Slash and Duff live on stage with Foo Fighters

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Link to where he said Frank doesn't use a click, please. Not that I don't believe you, I just never read that before.

Was a conversation at a show not an article, the entire world does not have to be justified by forensic links to information on the internet. :-) 

Edited by swishtz

32 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I don’t think Axls vocals were much different than usual but the song just sounded much better. They should’ve played RQ or Nightrain just to hear Steven and Izzy’s parts played the way they were meant 

The way they were meant? You mean Steven and Izzy didn't play their parts right? Cause these guys sound nothing like Steven and Izzy. :shrugs:

42 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I don’t think Axls vocals were much different than usual but the song just sounded much better. They should’ve played RQ or Nightrain just to hear Steven and Izzy’s parts played the way they were meant 

They chose the perfect song. Now everyone on YouTube thinks Axl’s voice is back and they sound better than ever. It was a genius choice by them 

amongst every GNR song ever played, I think ISE might be the only one which never disappointed :)

btw, Dave Grohl offered his "throne" for injured Axl during the initial 2016 shows and later in November 2017 he also joined GNR onstage. so not really surprising, but very cool nevertheless :)

12 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Uh no, Taylor Hawkins has long been a well respected drummer.  I really try not to directly disrespect Frank much anymore.  But Taylor Hawkins is a world class drummer....Frank, well he is not.  

I'm not debating that Taylor Hawkins is respected as a great drummer. I also, prefer Taylors style overall, what I was saying is that he wasn't being 100% faithful to the recorded version so he'd likely get a whipping too... whether or not he's on the cover of Drummer or not.

We'll just have to disagree about Frank... All I know is that a lot of people here disregard the first 8yrs of his time in the band where he didn't rush November Rain or Rocket queen. Go back and do your homework. A you all like to point out he is a hired hand... hired hands do what their bosses tell them. The difference between this performance and Philadelphia 2016 is that Taylor uses the h-hat and Frank uses the ride cymbal. Both guys don't play it like Adler during the "So easy, nothing seems to please me section" where he pulls back the tempo and then speeds up again... so I'm not sure what the big difference is? Taylors pushing it a little more than Frank, who holds one continuous time throughout. We're splitting hairs.

This argument will rage until either Frank does an interview stating he was told to change his playing style for the NITL tour, OR Duff/Slash do interviews and talk about the process of working with Frank in rehearsals. I mean it obviously wasn't enough when Axl said it after all...

Edited by Tom2112

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Taylor is a great drummer. Only natural that Dave wouldn't accept anything else, he is an awesome drummer himself. As for Taylor's version of ISO, it is very different from how Steven played it :D. But it is a high-energy version and I liked it. I have never criticised Frank, he is great, but if anything he somewhat lacks that high-octane approach to drumming

I guess you mean ISE.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

The way they were meant? You mean Steven and Izzy didn't play their parts right? Cause these guys sound nothing like Steven and Izzy. :shrugs:

Sorry 😁just meant other guys playing it the way Steven and Izzy played them ie no Fortus solos and just the rhythm getting played. 

This is great. That makes me happy to see them.

And about Axl voice, I've seen him 5 times in 2 years (1 with DC) and he never disappointed me. Sometimes he's out of breath (like in Coma) but it's normal. For example, tuesday, I was at Veltins Arena and I was afraid of TIL but he sang it well. 

I guess people who constantly criticize his voice have seen him recently in concert (not on Youtube). There are imperfections but Gnr is about energy. I can't wait to see them again in Belgium and in Netherlands. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

They chose the perfect song. Now everyone on YouTube thinks Axl’s voice is back and they sound better than ever. It was a genius choice by them 

It was a good choice it’s one of Axls better songs to sing. The song as a whole sounded great. I think ISE is one of the strongest songs on the set i was just wondering how another song would’ve sounded it would’ve been interesting 

3 minutes ago, Creed said:

Its just that simple: Foo Fighters are a real band, while NuGuns is a group of hired musicians who were forced by Axl to do classic rock/punk/heavy metal next to industrial/numetal stuff. Pitman, Buckethead, Ron, Brain, Fortus, etc can't play wild and dirty rock n' roll. 

You say that knowing that the Foo Fighters have been through just about as many lineup changes as GN'R, right?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I wouldn't jump the Gun by saying his voice is back. Axl usually nails It's So Easy. One of the only songs he doesn't have trouble with!

On a positive note, this was one hell of a performance!

Also, even though I am no Foo fan, it's badass to see these guys have grown to respect one another after the bullshit also those years ago.

Also Axl came out and basically could give it all, without thinking, I've got another 3 feckin hrs to give ! Nice feeling 

Edited by colonizedmind

GNR songs always seem to sound much more alive and dynamic when played by anyone other than GNR.

They should seriously get rid of Melissa and her effects and Dizzy unless needed on a piano song.

All of that crap adds nothing to the songs, which is why they always sound better without it.

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I also think it's funny how people constantly criticize Frank for playing songs too fast (which isn't even his fault. He's obviously been told to play them that way.)

Now when Taylor Hawkins plays It's So Easy with a MUCH faster tempo than it's supposed to be played, suddenly Frank should take lessons from him. :blink:

Seriously people make up your mind! :lol:

Its not really about playing exactly like the album, but playing it with a certain feeling and attitude that Frank obviously doesnt have. 

Frank might be cool, professional and a drumming master at his own but he is no rock n roll drummer. 

8 minutes ago, Naupis said:

GNR songs always seem to sound much more alive and dynamic when played by anyone other than GNR.

They should seriously get rid of Melissa and her effects and Dizzy unless needed on a piano song.

All of that crap adds nothing to the songs, which is why they always sound better without it.

to me the only thing they have to get rid of is Frank.... I'm okay with Dizzy and Melissa