2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

The general trend seems to be the earlier version the song, the better it is. Chinese Democracy works so much better as a raw rocker, Catcher in the Rye is leagues better stripped back and with the May solo. The Blues works so much better with the loud intro that was present in ‘02. I don’t imagine these are final mixes but you can easily imagine final mixes of these arrangements that were perfectly suitable for release.

I'm absolutely loving the shit out of all the Chris Pitman on The Blues. Hearing it like this, this is the first time I've really gotten the early version of The Blues. 

Riad is brutally raw - after hearing this, I'm inclined to say that it's the most overproduced and bloated song on the album. 

I love the Freese version of CD, this version really packs a punch. Not sure yet if I prefer the double tracked vocals from the album version or not, but otherwise I miss CD being a concise, 3 minute rocker. 

Going Down is interesting. Again, not sure which version I prefer yet - I think I'm leaning towards the older leak we have, but this mix is miles ahead so it's a hard comparison to make. It's certainly interesting as it's quite different. 

TWAT benefitted the most from continual tinkering - the Bucket solo absolutely elevates that song from a good song to an epic song. My ideal version of TWAT would be the album version without the stupid sound effects over the intro. 

On 8/29/2019 at 3:22 PM, angriestwhopper said:

Just listened to all the leaks. I can see why they wanted axl to re record it all as it sounds sonically shite.

The songs themselves are great and as a finished product. Axl was clearly too stubborn to re record it quickly. 

It would have flopped massively in comparison to velvet Revolver and it's just a missed opportunity.

Fair opinion but that caused the album ended up sounding overproduced. There’s maybe one or two songs at most where the album versions are better than the demos. My gut instinct says they won’t be making the same mistake this time around. 

:shrugs:

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm absolutely loving the shit out of all the Chris Pitman on The Blues. Hearing it like this, this is the first time I've really gotten the early version of The Blues. 

They're coming around, by jove!

They're finally all coming around!

Welcome back! Now on to these leaks...

Fortunately they weren’t too challenging to find.  They make for a fun listen, but what struck me is 

1. Axl’s vocal takes largely survived in tact

2. The early Chinese Democracy sounds great but I love the studio version also. There was a Time and Prostitute benefited from the continual tinkering   

3.  Not sure I agree with the general consensus these are better than the 2008 album. Overall, I am quite happy with the album we got relative to these versions. Maybe IRS and CITR 1999 are better, but that’s it.  Granted, the 8-9 year wait wasn’t worth it!

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

(Potentially) controversial opinion: nothing on these leaks sounds better than the finished product we got. It's obviously great to hear them, but I wouldn't exchange a single one for the final versions we heard. 

Agreed There isnt a better album this century ..... well if you like multi layers and stuff .

Listening to these just makes me sad to think we could've (and should've) had CD in '99/2000ish. It definitely would've been received much better than the final product was, especially since the general public still gave a shit or were perplexed by the mystique still. 

Plus we'd probably at least have CD 2 by now, right? Right?!

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Just out of curiosity, how are there still 50+ Guests when now you have to log in to be able to even get on the forum? 

The traffic counter shows all traffic that lands anywhere on the site, even if it's a login page, or a page telling them we're currently in members only mode. Therefore, if you have 50+ people viewing the forum but not logged in, they count as guests. At least that's my understanding, maybe @downzy can clarify if I got that wrong :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Little off topic but I missed this site way too much when it was down lol.

Sorry about that.  Wish it could be avoided but as I explain here, had to be done:

2 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

The traffic counter shows all traffic that lands anywhere on the site, even if it's a login page, or a page telling them we're currently in members only mode. Therefore, if you have 50+ people viewing the forum but not logged in, they count as guests. At least that's my understanding, maybe @downzy can clarify if I got that wrong :lol: 

Yep.  Anyone who visits the site, whether a signed in member or a visitor, counts as a simultaneous users for what I believe is 5 minutes, though it could be 15 (can't remember).  So the 50+ visitors are likely people who are not members but coming by to see if the forum is back online.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Little off topic but I missed this site way too much when it was down lol.

I thought Atlas had leaked for sure when I saw that it was down!  I couldn't imagine what else would have broken the internet.  Still pretty good get, but I thought it was going to be like *everything* on those Tommy Z discs.

1 minute ago, Caedo said:

So based on what's leaked and other info, would the only songs that made it onto CD that were written/recorded after 1999 be Scraped, Sorry, Shacklers, Better and If the World?

I mean, we already knew everything else was around long before CD anyways - Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Riad, and Maddy were all debuted live in 2001. TWAT, Catcher, and Prostitute had all been mentioned as song titles by about 200, and TIL was a known song title much earlier than that IIRC. The first time the title IRS was mentioned to my knowledge was 2003 when it was played on that radio show, though we later learned it had been around since 1999 when the 99 demo first leaked in 2006. We also don't know that none of those songs were around by 1999, we just don't know that they were.