The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, RussTCB said:

That doesn't matter at all anymore. Anyone with a decent PC can record their tracks remotely. 

I would think that's probably what Duff has done, if we're still going by the notion that an album is coming sooner than later, however unlikely.  We already know Slash has done some stuff in Axl's home studio.

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

New music does not exist. Why would anyone think otherwise? Has anything new been heard?

maybe it's possible it exists even if nothing has been heard? I'm also not sure what you mean exactly by "new": unreleased Chinese era material or music by the current line up? Slash said he saved a couple of cool riffs to use with Gn'R, and he was at Axl's house presumably to work on something. Slash and Duff both said Axl got a lot of great stuff they can work on.

Edited by Rovim

From when Slash And Axl got back together - The question for me and all my friends was Can Axl Still  Sing we’ll enough ? 

We still don’t have a answer ! I seen the NITL tour 4 times - Axl at times kills it and times he sounds burnt and Finished 

With AC/DC he sounded more like the old Axl to me anyways 

unless there is a album ? I’m done seeing the band -

I will go see Smkc though every chance I get 

The Big Question ? Can Axl still sing  with the upper echelons in the business - he used to be the top singer in the game 

I don’t care if they pro tool and layer his voice to death - Just sound like Axl Rose and I will  be happy 

I think if his voice was good 

we would already have a album 

Edited by TMAC20

18 minutes ago, TMAC20 said:

From when Slash And Axl got back together - The question for me and all my friends was Can Axl Still  Sing we’ll enough ? 

We still don’t have a answer ! I seen the NITL tour 4 times - Axl at times kills it and times he sounds burnt and Finished 

The Big Question ? Can Axl still sing  with the upper echelons in the business - he used to be the top singer in the game 

I don’t care if they pro tool and layer his voice to death - Just sound like Axl Rose and I will  be happy 

I think he his voice was good 

Axl will sound amazing on any future studio releases from GNR. Beside the fact that he has as many takes as he wants to get it right, there are tons of tools available to ensure perfect sounding vocals. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Axl will sound amazing on any future studio releases from GNR. Beside the fact that he has as many takes as he wants to get it right, there are tons of tools available to ensure perfect sounding vocals. 

True. Axl is hit or miss live but there are a lot of singers who sounds like shit but with some mixing tips they sound perfect on the record. And Axl has a great moments so I don’t think, his voice even needs to be processed that much when he can have a lot of takes and layers. 

So I would rather worry if we ever gonna hear it.

And better question is how we gonna sound live on the new songs if they’ll ever come out

8 hours ago, Dean said:

Axl has a studio built into his home, so it's possible that he's been working on things from there and I guess if that was the case, that would work best for the likes of Slash and Duff to avoid any press as they would be none the wiser of anything going down. Plus, I'd be interested in knowing that if, in an ideal world, a new album was going to be happening, how much of the backing tracks did Axl keep from the previous sessions recorded by the Chinese lineup. Is it possible that Brain's drums, Pitman's synth or Paul's guitar can make an appearance? It wouldn't come as a shock if any of that happens. I just hope that whatever is released acts as a great follow up to Chinese and beefs up the catalogue a considerable bit. 

I reckon any recording by ex band members will be rerecorded and played by the current band members. 

22 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I reckon any recording by ex band members will be rerecorded and played by the current band members. 

There's every chance that they'll feature, but keep in mind PHT was out the band a month shy of 7 years by the time Chinese was released and he's all over the album. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recordings are kept. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dean said:

There's every chance that they'll feature, but keep in mind PHT was out the band a month shy of 7 years by the time Chinese was released and he's all over the album. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recordings are kept. 

true, but when it comes to at least the guitars, I wonder if the same "rules" still apply just cause...Slash. I'm betting that all the lead guitars will be rerecorded/replaced by Slash and maybe Fortus as well but mostly Slash and the rhythm guitars will all be rerecorded by Fortus and Slash. I'm guessing Slash will prefer to have someone else rerecord Paul's guitars.

in general, my best guess is Axl will keep the orchestration and piano by him and Dizzy and Buckmaster/Beltrami but will have Melissa rerecord the dolphin farts by Pitman. The rest will be: bass by Duff, all the drums by Frank, guitars by Slash and Richard. I also think that when it comes to vocals Axl will rerecord a lot of it going the rasp route this time around.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

I think he his voice was good 

Axl was always a hit or miss in concert,  though, even back in the day. Nothing has changed from the 80s to now in that respect.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

If nothing else, I hope they keep at least 1 or 2 'bonus tracks' with Brain on drums and Buckethead on guitar... the thing I want most on a new GNR record would be Buckethead and Slash duelling licks and solos throughout a song. :drool:

Fortus can play Buckethead's parts live, like he already does with the CD songs, but man... I really wanna hear a song with Slash, Buckethead and Axl on it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Axl was always a hit or miss in concert,  though, even back in the day. Nothing has changed from the 80s to now in that respect.  

1000000000000000000%

You never knew if you were going to get a terrible show or literally THE best live musical experience of your entire life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

Back then the issue was too much rasp that wasn't really notes being sung. Now it is Mickey. I'd prefer to listen to the former.

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Back then the issue was too much rasp that wasn't really notes being sung. Now it is Mickey. I'd prefer to listen to the former.

I'd like Axl to use both the clean tone and the rasp, it depends on the song. I like the clean voice in Catcher for example but I would have preferred more rasp on I.R.S like in the live version which I find to be more powerful. Some tunes he uses both on the same verse like Better (clean high notes, lower notes with rasp) and it sounds great.

12 minutes ago, siraddam said:

Can they legally rerecord another person's playing on an album?

I believe so, for a couple of assumed reasons.  One, all non-legal partners of GNR probably have an iron clad contract where anything they record for GNR is legally owned by GNR the legal entity whether they stay in the band or leave.  And two, if someone wrote a part of a song and that part is re-recorded then credit will have to probably be given to the proper person however the part itself can be re-recorded as far as I know

Case and point - Brain re-recording drums for tracks Josh originally recorded for, and Frank re-recording the re-recorded drums lol

Edited by WhazUp

9 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I would think that's probably what Duff has done, if we're still going by the notion that an album is coming sooner than later, however unlikely.  We already know Slash has done some stuff in Axl's home studio.

Duff has no unique bass tone, it wouldn’t matter if they left tommy on the songs.   Slash on the other hand.....

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

true, but when it comes to at least the guitars, I wonder if the same "rules" still apply just cause...Slash. I'm betting that all the lead guitars will be rerecorded/replaced by Slash and maybe Fortus as well but mostly Slash and the rhythm guitars will all be rerecorded by Fortus and Slash. I'm guessing Slash will prefer to have someone else rerecord Paul's guitars.

in general, my best guess is Axl will keep the orchestration and piano by him and Dizzy and Buckmaster/Beltrami but will have Melissa rerecord the dolphin farts by Pitman. The rest will be: bass by Duff, all the drums by Frank, guitars by Slash and Richard. I also think that when it comes to vocals Axl will rerecord a lot of it going the rasp route this time around.

One thing that intrigues me is his comments before Finck's departure

"There isn't much for him to do around here..."

In Axl's eyes, Finck had completed everything for a follow up album and there was no plans to hit the road any time soon by that point. So Axl, Slash and Duff could be working on the album and someone like Dizzy, would be completely unaware and not needed as everything he needed to do was completed in say 2005 :lol:

That's all just a guess, but wouldn't at all surprise me!

3 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Duff has no unique bass tone, it wouldn’t matter if they left tommy on the songs.   Slash on the other hand.....

I would disagree with that. Duff's bass tone was one of the key ingredients during the UYI era, Slash likewise. Hearing something like a jam back then, a casual fan would be able to tell it was them. Both don't sound as good (in terms of tone) nowadays like they did back then.

I've a lot of love for Thomas Eugene Stinson as a bassist too, probably more so than Duff. His bass is a hidden gem throughout Chinese. 

• Like 2

On 13/12/2019 at 6:53 PM, GnR Chris said:

How do you hold streams? :)

What worries me is it doesn't make sense to drop a new album then leave the United States to go tour Europe. No offense to Europe. But seems like the band would align a new record with a new North American tour. Or do bands usually wait for the record to get out there and get airplay? I don't know.

The US is far from the only market. Also, GNR and hard rock in general fair much better outside of America sales wise. They just did a 3rd? leg of the NITL tour in America, they have to give it a break.

If they are leaving the US though and the album is actually coming out then you can pretty much assume that Axl and co won't be doing the rounds on late night trying to sell this the traditional way, it'll be 'we put it out, and whoever wants it will know it's out' approach, similar to CD. Again this is all a big IF. Thus far there has been nothing to suggest that a new album is coming beyond a few unsubstantiated whispers.

14 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Duff recorded the ozzy album in LA in 2 weeks so he was in town. Im sure he could of done the same with gnr if he needed to.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

also what happened to 'Stay Of Execution' ?

Shelved probably because he had a band that was disintegrating.

Brian May mentioned something about him not wanting to promote the work of someone (Finck) that wasn't in the band anymore. Most likely the case here.  

• Like 1