The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

Which is exactly what I don't want. There has to be new music as well. 

as a Gn'R fan I'm desperate enough to not be picky at all about what kind of album/old or new/which players as long as it becomes a reality. A brand new album from this lineup would be great. To hear where the current line up is at right now artistically, but it seems that this is not going to be the case at least for this potential next release.

I think Axl won't focus on new material before he has a chance to finish what he started with the Chinese project and maybe he never intended to, reunion or no reunion so at least he's still interested in releasing more material and maybe in the future if we're extra lucky, the focus will shift to include more of Slash's vision as well but my motto when it comes to Gn'R is beggars can't be choosers.

We're dealing with a guy that has released 2 songs in the last 13 years from 20+ years ago.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

as a Gn'R fan I'm desperate enough to not be picky at all about what kind of album/old or new/which players as long as it becomes a reality. A brand new album from this lineup would be great. To hear where the current line up is at right now artistically, but it seems this is not going to be the case at least for this potential next release.

I think Axl won't focus on new material before he has a chance to finish what he started with the Chinese project and maybe he never intended to, reunion or no reunion so at least he's still interested in releasing more material and maybe in the future if we're extra lucky, the focus will shift to include more of Slash's vision as well but my motto when it comes to Gn'R is beggars can't be choosers.

We're dealing with a guy that has released 2 songs in the last 13 years from 20+ years ago.

You're right in all this, but none of it precludes them from putting both these segments on the album, which I keep saying here all the time. Axl would finally put his old demos to fruition, and at the same time they could show "they still got it" and include a couple of new songs that they've created as, you know, an actual band. I don't expect them to create an all-new album, but on the other hand, releasing just Axl's CD era shelf 20-year old demos wouldn't exactly be a cool and wise step to take.
This album could be a deal breaker in a way. Since it factually is a comeback album, I believe there'll be a way bigger pressure and focus on it than on any possible following records. And as such, since "they're back", they should accordingly (if just partially) show "hey, this is what we can do, we still got it", and not just "hey, this is what Axl was doing two decades ago, plus here's our contribution to it", you know what I mean? Hence it needs to include both these approaches. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Which is exactly what I don't want. There has to be new music as well. 

I would prever new music too, without a doubt, but to say Slash said there's no new album coming is simply wrong. 

Actually, what we've got now is probably the way they worked on November Rain. Old Axl material with Slash laying his guitar over the track. Maybe some changes here and there... I just hope Slash and Duff won't be biased by the recordings of the old members. Just take Axl's vocals and melodies and create your own song around that. If you know what I mean.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

I would prever new music too, without a doubt, but to say Slash said there's no new album coming is simply wrong. 

Actually, what we've got now is probably the way they worked on November Rain. Old Axl material with Slash laying his guitar over the track. Maybe some changes here and there... I just hope Slash and Duff won't be biased by the recordings of the old members. Just take Axl's vocals and melodies and create your own song around that. If you know what I mean.

Yeah, as for Axl's songs, the ideal situation would be as what you describe - just give them melodies or a couple of basic chords at most and let Slash do his magic. Still, not the kind of "new song" that I have in mind. But better than just putting a guitar solo on an otherwise unaltered song (like the two singles). 
Yeah no, I don't think Slash said no new album is coming. 

53 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, as for Axl's songs, the ideal situation would be as what you describe - just give them melodies or a couple of basic chords at most and let Slash do his magic. Still, not the kind of "new song" that I have in mind. But better than just putting a guitar solo on an otherwise unaltered song (like the two singles). 
Yeah no, I don't think Slash said no new album is coming. 

I really don't think that they would do it this way. I'm sure they have listened to the whole songs with all the guitar parts etc.

God, this is all so unsexy! :/ Why, why must it always be the worst way. :D I'm not excited at all about this approach and I think their "comeback album" will be a big fucking turd if this is all they can do. 

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

This is my hope. A suitably priced CD boxset would be awesome…..doesn’t need to be grandiose or anything…just a simple box with vinyls and CDs! I know some folk think it would be a waste of money/not enough interest but if priced reasonably and manufactured in realistic numbers then absolutely there is a market. Take my money now!

Seriously not going to happen while Axl is alive. When he is dead, then certainly the floodgates may open with his estate capitalising in every way imaginable. There will be Mills & Boon books with Axl as the main character, GnR drones, secret recordings of Axl singing in the shower etc… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hopefully they leave the CD stuff as intact as possible. I can't imagine them re-working Zodiac 13, for example. Amazing guitars. Same with Soul Monster.

I do like what Slash did with Hard Skool, and his work on Absurd is better than Bumble's playing over the demo, so maybe, just maybe he can perform suitably over Robin and Bucket's work.

• Like 1

To me, the songs should either be completely redone by Slash and Duff or be left to be released by Axl at a later time as they were originally (although "originally" is relative here).

What I wouldn't want is Slash adding layers - but I don't think that's a possibility anyway.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

To me, the songs should either be completely redone by Slash and Duff or be left to be released by Axl at a later time as they were originally (although "originally" is relative here).

What I wouldn't want is Slash adding layers - but I don't think that's a possibility anyway.

I think it's exactly what they have done. Like what they did with HS and Silkworms. What makes you think otherwise?

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I think it's exactly what they have done. Like what they did with HS and Silkworms. What makes you think otherwise?

I mean keeping Finck's, Buckethead's, etc. parts and Slash adding layers over them. That's not what happened with HS (especially) and Absurd.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

Let's be honest  ; do you think that Hard Skool and Absurd could be in a GNR album ?? do you think it at the level of this band (exept "my word" !!). I already stop listened to this 2 tracks....sadly

For me hardskool has nothing to envy to a lot of uyi songs, some lies (used to lover, one in a million), appetite (anything or think about you.)

4 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

Let's be honest  ; do you think that Hard Skool and Absurd could be in a GNR album ?? do you think it at the level of this band (exept "my word" !!). I already stop listened to this 2 tracks....sadly

I really like HardSkool and i'm fine with it being in an album. I'm not getting into if it's a reworked demo and all that. I'd take anything they release 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

Definately, Hardskool could be on those albums. I like it more than other UYI / Lies Songs.
Absurd on the other hand NO, similar to "my world."

Edited by GNROSAS

12 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

could be? yeah, why not? should be? if that's what they want to release, yeah. Is it at the level of what they did in the past? honestly, not quite imo, but I like both tunes. I especially like what Absurd eventually became and I actually prefer the leaked version of HS cause I think the bridge on that version had a certain magical feel to it and the drums were much better, but I also like what Duff and Slash did with it and the official version.

I think both tunes are good enough to be a part of the Gn'R catalog. I think that if the album is released, there will be stronger material on it compared to HS and Absurd.

13 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

Yes, they could absolutely be on an album and yes they are on the level of this band. Hard Skool is a pretty good tune and Absurd isn't worse than lots on UIY and CD.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, they could absolutely be on an album and yes they are on the level of this band. Hard Skool is a pretty good tune and Absurd isn't worse than lots on UIY and CD.

Completely subjective question. They 'could' be on a gnr album, and they 'might' be better than some UYI to you. I'd say they could be on a GNR album easily, but if that was the peak quality then the album would be average to below average 5/10... for my taste at least! 

I don't know, I just don't love either song, perfectly inoffensive sums up HS. Absurd is a complete head scratcher. I actually love the Bass/drums/gtrs on Absurd but the vocals just don't work for me. I'd put both of them in the pile of 'listen to once or twice every now and again', but if I never heard them again I'd be just fine with having AFD/UYI/CD. I truly hope neither make the final record and that there is some knock out material being pulled out for the full album. 

End of the day, each to their own! Some people love these songs, some hate them! I fall in the middle. 

• Like 2