The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

49 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

He might as well just be a lazy fuck.

Occam's razor would suggest that's the case with Axl and new music.

It's unbelieavable that in 2020 there are still GNR fans who believe Axl's this tortured perfectionist figure tinkering away on his next masterpiece.... Wake up and smell the Maxwell House already.... Axl Rose is work shy and creatively bankrupt and this has been the case for well over a decade now.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Why does he have to overthink it so much? It doesn't have to be such a grand statement.

assuming, for the sake of argument, that Axl rarely releases new music not just because he's lazy as shit, but because a Gn'R album means something to him, what does he have to gain from releasing a dud?

to some musicians if it's not great, it's mediocre and to release just a pretty good album is not their goal. To artistically revisit the same shit they've explored before is maybe not something Axl is interested in doing cause maybe there's no value in that for him? to repeat himself.

so maybe Axl is lazy/not talented enough/some other shortcoming as an artist but maybe also his process is his process. Preferring to slowly construct something that will still have artistic value years from now or at least something he won't regret releasing cause that's the only way he can accomplish it.

Maybe he needs other people to help him make it a reality (someone else must write some or most of the tunes, and all of the riffs and solos for example) so that only makes it more complicated and difficult cause then he has to carefully select the right ideas for the album he's trying to make currently so it won't be pathetically stale and dated and instead will reflect what he's trying to say but also would still sound like a Gn'R album.

Edited by Rovim

On 26/07/2020 at 1:18 PM, Rovim said:

I  actually think a double album is a reasonable idea. Axl supposedly got all this material to work with and if they release another album, it's probably going to be their last. Tommy said Chinese was supposed to be more than just 1 album anyway and it will be cool if they'll have enough space to represent old tunes and new ones as well.

Enough room for all of Axl's more ambitious inclinations and Slash's classic hard rock compositions. I wonder how long we could wait for something like that though. I'm guessing... longer.

It would be a bit of a mess. 

Best bet without hearing everything... is to just collect the best 12 songs new or old and release 1 great album.

2 albums would probably contain about 14 great songs, and the rest would be good, ok or bad... they really should be focussing on the best album rather than how many songs they can get out at once.

I would love to hear the chinese era songs that were ready in 2014, but I think at the best you're looking at some sort of 20th anniversary of CD where they release it and select bonus tracks. I don't think he'll ever complete his Chinese democracy release plan now.

40 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Best bet without hearing everything... is to just collect the best 12 songs new or old and release 1 great album.

2 albums would probably contain about 14 great songs, and the rest would be good, ok or bad... they really should be focussing on the best album rather than how many songs they can get out at once.

I would love to hear the chinese era songs that were ready in 2014, but I think at the best you're looking at some sort of 20th anniversary of CD where they release it and select bonus tracks. I don't think he'll ever complete his Chinese democracy release plan now.

when an interviewer asked Duff if it was true that Axl had "a zillion unreleased tunes" Duff said it was true. I don't want a Gn'R album with filler on it, but it is possible that limiting it to just 12 or 14 tunes won't make it a better album.

I feel like with the second half of Chinese plus everything Axl still got plus what they can come up with now and maybe the 1996 material, there could be special circumstances.

also, maybe we won't get another Gn'R release. UYI contains a lot of filler but a lot of fans got their favorite filler track or more. I hope Axl's priority is to release the best Gn'R record the band can possibly create. If that means a shorter and more precise record, so be it, but a double album could be fitting for an older band that hasn't released anything together in a very long time cause it can represent different eras of the band and be diverse (like I'm guessing is what Axl might want it to be) more effectively imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Occam's razor would suggest that's the case with Axl and new music.

It's unbelieavable that in 2020 there are still GNR fans who believe Axl's this tortured perfectionist figure tinkering away on his next masterpiece.... Wake up and smell the Maxwell House already.... Axl Rose is work shy and creatively bankrupt and this has been the case for well over a decade now.

You can’t in all seriousness claim to know such things. People confuse stuff that hasn’t been released with stuff that doesn’t exist. I mean, we have 2003, 2004, 2005 (three years in a row), 2008, 2009, then 2014, 2015, half of 2018, most of 2019, and 2020. Do you seriously think he didn’t write/compose anything in all those years? Even if he’s written just 10 decent things recently, he can still use stuff from those "shitloads" he has from the CD era or whatever. 

We take things out of context. I wouldn’t expect him to write much material while on a tour, he’s more like getting a BJ in a pool with a drink in one hand and a cigar in the other (I’d imagine). And we don’t know whether they didn’t plan on starting something new live this year – there surely were hints (sure, could have been just some TB bullshit), but with the C-virus (RE, anyone?) shit happening now, we’ll probably never know. 

I do believe Axl has tons of lyrics in his drawer and tons of music in his studio. The question is not whether they have something – we know they do for sure (Slash, Duff) – but when will we hear it. Even if he wrote just a few songs during the last few years, just couple it with CD II tunes, and we have a full record. Or do you think Slash would contribute to an album of some shitty leftovers? That’s not his style, and it’s not Axl’s style either. 
The trouble is, it’s downtime for now... And yeah, they’re not exactly online-release people, are they. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

If all of the CD leaks from last year and all of the post-gnr records that duff,Izzy,slash, Gilby proved anything it is that Axl is the end all be all of new gnr music being released.

He surrounded himself with “yes people” during the UYI days and it continues now. Anyone who pushed him to greatness has been blackballed from gnr.

The ones who remain and/or came back aren’t going to do or say anything to push Axl, they all want their paychecks to keep rolling in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

That's the thing. There's a mix of cd2 with ashba that was probably ready to go in 2010 onwards. A weird thought. 

Remember, CD2 is not "leftovers" or tracks too weak for CD, it is simply the second part of CD. The locker leaks gave us a good glimpse of that with a few songs.

In 2006 Axl said they had 2.5 albums worth of material.

In 2014 he said they have a CD remix album, and the followup to CD recorded.

We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out. We’ve worked more on some of those things and we’ve written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That’s already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That’s been done for a while, too. - Axl Rose

Source: https://www.stereogum.com/1685104/axl-rose-announces-chinese-democracy-sequel-remix-album/news/

Edited by Sweersa

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

to some musicians if it's not great, it's mediocre and to release just a pretty good album is not their goal. To artistically revisit the same shit they've explored before is maybe not something Axl is interested in doing cause maybe there's no value in that for him? to repeat himself.

He repeats himself every day since 12 fucking years by releasing nothing. He probably will until the end of his life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

He repeats himself every day since 12 fucking years by releasing nothing. He probably will until the end of his life.

Slash can do a lot. Let's see if Axl takes advantage of his and Duff's talent and chemistry in Gn'R. There's still time to release a final album with the 3 of them. I think it's how it should end and I believe that with Slash, Axl will go for it.

5 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Myles is not busy with Alter Bridge, tour is being re-scheduled, they released an album not that long ago. His solo record is done, he'll be touring it. Mark Tremonti is going solo aswell. SMKC is in the works.

Do you mean they're working on recording? This would be the perfect time to do that.

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

You can’t in all seriousness claim to know such things. People confuse stuff that hasn’t been released with stuff that doesn’t exist. I mean, we have 2003, 2004, 2005 (three years in a row), 2008, 2009, then 2014, 2015, half of 2018, most of 2019, and 2020. Do you seriously think he didn’t write/compose anything in all those years? Even if he’s written just 10 decent things recently, he can still use stuff from those "shitloads" he has from the CD era or whatever. 

We take things out of context. I wouldn’t expect him to write much material while on a tour, he’s more like getting a BJ in a pool with a drink in one hand and a cigar in the other (I’d imagine). And we don’t know whether they didn’t plan on starting something new live this year – there surely were hints (sure, could have been just some TB bullshit), but with the C-virus (RE, anyone?) shit happening now, we’ll probably never know. 

I do believe Axl has tons of lyrics in his drawer and tons of music in his studio. The question is not whether they have something – we know they do for sure (Slash, Duff) – but when will we hear it. Even if he wrote just a few songs during the last few years, just couple it with CD II tunes, and we have a full record. Or do you think Slash would contribute to an album of some shitty leftovers? That’s not his style, and it’s not Axl’s style either. 
The trouble is, it’s downtime for now... And yeah, they’re not exactly online-release people, are they. 

I used to think it was true, and pretty obvious, until the locker leaks proved there's more. The only other hint was the publishing deal the band signed with...I want to say Sanctuary? It sold the copyright on 50 new unreleased songs, before Chinese Democracy was released. So they must exist.

46 minutes ago, SOH said:

I used to think it was true, and pretty obvious, until the locker leaks proved there's more. The only other hint was the publishing deal the band signed with...I want to say Sanctuary? It sold the copyright on 50 new unreleased songs, before Chinese Democracy was released. So they must exist.

Say what now? Not saying I don't believe you, but is there any proof of this? I seem to recall the publishing deal but not that part of it.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Do you mean they're working on recording? This would be the perfect time to do that.

I agree. But didnt slash say in the most recent interview that he is completely focused on doing Guns stuff at the moment?.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I agree. But didnt slash say in the most recent interview that he is completely focused on doing Guns stuff at the moment?.

He said they were doing GnR stuff but we thought that he could be doing other stuff too. His response left that as a possibility.

3 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Say what now? Not saying I don't believe you, but is there any proof of this? I seem to recall the publishing deal but not that part of it.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-catalog-to-generate-100-million-for-sanctuary/

This says "All future material" but I definitely remember something at the time from a news source that mentioned around 50 songs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

Slash can do a lot. Let's see if Axl takes advantage of his and Duff's talent and chemistry in Gn'R. There's still time to release a final album with the 3 of them. I think it's how it should end and I believe that with Slash, Axl will go for it.

I  don't know man... I really hope so but at the end of the day it depends all on Axl. Slash and Duff can record or re-record all they want. It's Axl who has to lay down his vocals and we know it's him who has to be satisfied with the whole thing. The Illusions lasted a while. With CD it took him years. I don't know if Slash and Duff are enough of a reason for Axl to find his creativity and his determination again.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He said they were doing GnR stuff but we thought that he could be doing other stuff too. His response left that as a possibility.

If SMKC is in the works right now then there are two possibilities IMO. Either Slash finished his work on a new GNR album completely and Axl's working on final touches for the record or there won't be no new record ever again with Axl and Slash.

13 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

If GNR aren't actually making proper efforts to make a record, there's no way Slash is at home twiddling his thumbs. GNR either finish their record or he goes and starts sending ideas to Myles. Realistically SMKC won't be able to tour properly until 2022 though, so I can't see Slash being in a mad rush just to release something! great time for an EP though! 

Again, this all depends on if Slash thinks GNR are or are not close to completing or at least "very seriously looking at" the new record. While GNR continue to say absolutely nothing concrete about anything, it's hard to call... but Susan (as strange as it is to say) has been the bringer of good news before, so I'm inclined to believe they are working on music... like I've said a thousand times, the release is another question altogether!!