Fortus says there was only a "brief moment" of chemistry in NuGNR

5 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

In fairness he doesn't really shit on Bumblefoot. He simply says that the dynamic that was there in rehearsal prior changed. That's natural in any band when you have different people come in out.  

I would love to know his (and everyone's) status in that band as of now. Are they all just contract for hire workers (excl. Axl) or is he a fully fledged member with an actual stake in the band. I'm not sure if this has even been disclosed publicly for Slash and Duff.

The status has been disclosed in the recent brewery lawsuit and in the trademark office documents: GNR is a partnership of Axl, Slash and Duff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sidoris has creative freedom; he came up with all his parts on LTD. Slash didn't dictate to him what to play for each song.

Oh no way! I didn’t know that. That’s really cool to hear.

Honestly I just assumed Slash tracked the rhythms. If that’s the case I wish he’d talk more about his creative process.

hey frank 👋 

Edited by Ant

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I’d rather have Richard re-record Buckets parts than Slash. Richard is the technically superior guitarist in the band now. 

I personally would rather have Slash do a full reworking of the solos and parts and Slashify them just in my own opinion if I could selfishly imagine my vision for a GNR album.  To me that is the perk of getting Duff and Slash back, bringing in a lot of the sounds that made AFD and the Illusions so great.    

I know Slash goes into shred mode live a lot the fast few years, but he still has the goods of a brilliant signature sound and that sound to me is just as GNR as Axl's voice so I hope they milk Slash's guitar for all its worth on this next album

Although it is probably all moot talking about a "next album" anyways though cause y'know this is GNR we are talking about :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Well, I could totally see Slash's and Buckethead's guitar solos combined if Axl and Caram Constanzo continue to record like they did on Chinese Democracy :lol: 

Cut and paste using protools like metallica did recording st anger.

Edited by Sydney Fan

4 hours ago, Ant said:

Oh no way! I didn’t know that. That’s really cool to hear.

Honestly I just assumed Slash tracked the rhythms. If that’s the case I wish he’d talk more about his creative process.

hey frank 👋 

Slash did the rhythms for WOF, Myles did them for Apocalyptic Love. I'm sure he showed Frank stuff as suggestions but he didn't tell him note for note what to play. At the same time, if you watch the live videos Frank stays true to the original parts on the GnR, VR, Snakepit stuff along with the SMKC stuff that he didn't record on. The reason for that is that he realizes it's not his place to start improvising and trying to play leads where they don't belong/are going over Slash's parts and just showboating in general (unlike 4tus).

In that band there's none of this "I need to insert my own style/personality and make the songs my own" ego when playing the older material; they bring their own character and make it their own just by playing those songs and doing it well. That's one thing I really like about SMKC which irritates me about 4tus and Frank Ferrer.

• Like 2

I'd rather have Slash not "rework" anything - Axl should just send him the basic chords played by him on piano, accompanied by vocals. This way, Slash would be zero influenced by the previous musicians, and we'd get a completely original approach. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Slash did the rhythms for WOF, Myles did them for Apocalyptic Love. I'm sure he showed Frank stuff as suggestions but he didn't tell him note for note what to play. At the same time, if you watch the live videos Frank stays true to the original parts on the GnR, VR, Snakepit stuff along with the SMKC stuff that he didn't record on. The reason for that is that he realizes it's not his place to start improvising and trying to play leads where they don't belong/are going over Slash's parts and just showboating in general (unlike 4tus).

In that band there's none of this "I need to insert my own style/personality and make the songs my own" ego when playing the older material; they bring their own character and make it their own just by playing those songs and doing it well. That's one thing I really like about SMKC which irritates me about 4tus and Frank Ferrer.

Yeah man.

how a guitarist approaches the Izzy Nightrain solo will tell you all you need to know about them

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, Creed said:

NuGnR was never a real band and you can hear it on a lot of tracks. If you read between the lines Fortus is just saying that between 2004-2006 there was a clique of him, Robin and Brian. He is not mentioning Stinson and Pitman. So what he is actually saying is: the maximum of 3 people got real tight through all the years.

In 2006 Robin was so good that he could have been the new lead guitarist, but Axl decided to add BBF for the Bucket parts...it was a super dumb move by Axl.

It was even sillier given the fact the Fortus was fully capable of covering most of bucket’s parts. Was never a big BBF fan myself, he’s a great guitarist & vocalist just not a good fit for GNR. I’m not a big robin fan either but his style/vibe fit the band better.

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The status has been disclosed in the recent brewery lawsuit and in the trademark office documents: GNR is a partnership of Axl, Slash and Duff.

Partnership, interesting!

Now I am assuming that Axl is still the majority partner, but it's good to know there is some heavies around him that can get things done (in theory). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks. Interesting that the likes of Dizzy who's been part of the band for 30 years, contributed to multiple albums is still a hired hand so to speak with no stake or share in the band.

20 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I don't see why anyone would think that 4tus has a partnership stake as well. He's a hired hand, same as the others (including Melissa).

Ha! there's like 0% chance that Richard is a partner. Anyone who honestly thinks that's possible has no idea how these huge bands are run😄

Richard is on a pretty nice salary, we're not talking millions per tour but hundreds of thousands... he is still a hired musician, and there's nothing wrong with that. Joe Walsh is a hired musician in The Eagles! but when you think of The Eagles you probably think of him as one of the key members... not saying Richard is a key member, but he has his role! I wonder are the hired members paid a base fee across the board? I would have thought the more senior members would be on an upper tier of pay? but who knows! certainly none of the members outside of Axl, slash and duff are partners.

15 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think what Sidoris does is more arrangement. The basic songs are most likely written by Slash and the guys work them out together. I do think Sidoris has some freedom but  in a limited, directed kind of way :lol: don't know how to explain it better.

8 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

Thanks. Interesting that the likes of Dizzy who's been part of the band for 30 years, contributed to multiple albums is still a hired hand so to speak with no stake or share in the band.

Nah. That's not interesting. That's a given. He's an add on by Axl, who actually didn't add anything. He's lucky to be there. And that only because he's a yes man going under the radar, not causing any problems.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Fortus is good for Bucket leads because he's been around for the entire ChiDem era ... Slash does not do ANYTHING from ChiDem good IMO 

IMO I think he plays good on CD and Better. If he sat down and decided to write new solos for TIL and TWAT like he did on Better, I think he can make those songs his own. Though I really love Robin's solo on TIL and Robin/Bucket's on TWAT.