Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

I saw every North American tour nu-Guns did. Have hung with Bumble and Tommy many a time, I was a very earnest supporter of Axl's vision. This is ridiculous what he's doing at this point. The bastardization is too fucking painful. He should've kept all that stuff very separate and found the nerve to compose with the boys.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I don't mind the bell. It's a little tongue in cheek which shows the band, and I mean the song has "Skool" in the title. They don't seem to be trying to be overly serious which is nice. It's fun and will be a funny thing live.

Yeah, I’m just excited there’s an actual new song like this and I really do like it as a kickass rocker with a cool chorus. There’s a little gnawing feeling like the title and imagery is quite cringey (especially for someone like Axl who is very close to 60) but hopefully it’s meant as a joke and people take it that way. I’d prefer less jokey stuff like this and Absurd but I’ll take what we get at this juncture.

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The way Duff & Slash have described it, Izzy was the guy who would create the early sketches of songs and the other guys would build on those sketches to turn them into real songs. Ever since he left, it sure seems like they have a hard time creating new music without him. 

I know all of this. I know all of Izzy's solo material. I know an Izzy song when I hear one. "Seems to Me" by him is one of my favorite songs of all time.

After back to back repeated listens and trying to get excited 

I like duffs bass intro thing

but it’s just same ol tired slash wankery on a 20 year old song that was ready 20 years ago and better.

but until these guys get in a room and want to actually inspire each other again I guess this is as good as we get

silkworms was best 2001 rio

hard skool was better put out 20 years ago

i like it only because my old iPod and iTunes don’t communicate and I have no way to get the village demos on my phone 

otherwise wasted a night hoping like a normal  band they’d play their new single 

these guys are morons 

but I love them and that’s on me

hard school lessons over and over lol

• Like 1

Finally got to listen to it a couple times. It's not bad...but it isn't great either, maybe it will grow on me some. It has a catchy chorus,  I dig the bass intro to it and Slash's slide solo is real nice. But it doesn't move the needle for some reason. 

I am glad they put it out though, I mean fucking hell after going on over 5 years since they reunited the fact we've gotten 2 songs out of them this calender year feels like a monumental Win, even if its largely re-worked, pieced together songs that are 20 years old. 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think you're dead on here. I really do think the band takes this wayyyyyy less serious then all of us do. And they should! It's cliché to say it, but it's only rock & roll. 

I get that stuff like Coma and Estranged are E P I C but not everything had to be that. There needs to be room for some fun. If nothing else, the release of Absurd was the most *FUN* I've had involving GN'R in years and years.

This goes back to my last thread about GNR being serious post-breakup, these two tracks are just fun, non-epic rock songs and especially in 2021 I can use more of that!  I dig both Absurd and Hard Skool

• Like 3

I like it a lot.  I like some parts of the demo better but whatever.  It’s still new music and it’s a cool banger to blast in the car with an old school gn’r vibe.  As others have mentioned, the beginning of the song is definitely the end of a prior song, so that stupid tracklist from me the GNFNR EP wad total BS (thank God).

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think you're dead on here. I really do think the band takes this wayyyyyy less serious then all of us do. And they should! It's cliché to say it, but it's only rock & roll. 

I get that stuff like Coma and Estranged are E P I C but not everything had to be that. There needs to be room for some fun. If nothing else, the release of Absurd was the most *FUN* I've had involving GN'R in years and years.

Yep. Fans forget about all the joke songs and quick little non serious songs the band has recorded previously. GN'Rs just wanna have fun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It grew on me a bit. But I still find it loses compared to UYI rockers like Shotgun Blues or even TSI cuts like Hair Of The Dog. Not sure what, but I'm thinking a lot has to do with the mix. The leak was mixed a lot more "sturdy" sounding

On those tracks you are hearing an actual band. This is fragments of different bands over a large span of time. Shotgun Blues pisses all over this fucking tune any way you slice it.

Edited by bumfarce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bumfarce said:

On those tracks you are hearing an actual band. This is fragments of different bands over a large span of time. Shotgun Blues pisses all over this fucking tune any way you slice it.

I fucking hate that some kids will hear this as their first Guns tune. These guys should know better. They should be cutting proper recordings, as a band, showing the weak-kneed fools of the age how it's done.

5 hours ago, Pele said:

It wou;dn't matter at all if there was a vault of recordings over the last two decades.

There isn't, so they are scraping together the last of what he did and the people here are falling for it.

They have literally pasted a scream from 'Eye On You' into the middle of this. 

We'll get the 'woo woo' from Quick Song pasted into Atlas next lol

Well... so what?! Surely that is their issue to deal with! If this is all they have, then fair enough, that's it. I cannot understand why you appear to be so bothered about this when I assume it has little to zero impact on the day to day running of your life! 

For what it is worth (and it ain't worth much I can assure you), I likely agree with you on a few points - I don't think there is a huge vault of completed unreleased material but more a load of jams. But this assumption (and I stress assumption) is based on the lack of released material and that the band have just released two reworked already known songs. I could be wrong and I am open to that possibility. Second point I agree with you on is this copy and paste approach to recording... it sucks big time! But you know what... fuck it who cares. I don't very often listen to Chinese Democracy because on the whole (but not totally) I think it is crap!

Maybe focus on other bands would be my suggestion. Peace oot!