Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Virgin radio Italy played It some ho

24 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Really cool hearing promotion for this new single in the form of snippets this morning on the radio while driving in the car. Triple M here in Brisbane (Australia) are building it up and saying they are excited to be playing the new song in a few hours at 11:30am. Triple M is a big radio station around Australia. I’m thinking this is all leading up to the bigger picture. Who knows? I don’t remember Absurd receiving similar attention here when it dropped.

urs ago! 

• Like 1

Well after Silkworms I'm not surprised they went with the vocals from the demo. But I don't know what I think about this. It's not bad and Slash has some great moments here, but I'm still holding out for something the current band wrote themselves. 

Buuuuut, it's a lot better than that whole lot of nothing we had since 2008.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

There is nothing more amusing than people who know nothing about mixing or producing complaining about things being copied and pasted or things being compressed or drum replacement etc. THE SOLO TO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN WAS CUT AND PASTED TOGETHER FROM DIFFERENT TAKES. DRUMS HAVE HAD SAMPLE REPLACEMENT/SUPPORT SINCE THE 80'S. Loudness/compression wars started in the late 90's, but really with the advent of the CD. Your favorite records contain all the things you are whining about.

The solo you mentioned doesn't sound like that. Or drums can sound good no matter how sampled and fake they are. It really doesn't matter what is happening behind the scenes, what matters is what you can hear on the finished product. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Well after Silkworms I'm not surprised they went with the vocals from the demo. But I don't know what I think about this. It's not bad and Slash has some great moments here, but I'm still holding out for something the current band wrote themselves. 

That doesn't seem to be an aspiration.. They can't even cohesively re-record an already existing song together as a band..

I’m a little worried that the CD era stuff we haven’t heard (the general, etc) is going to get the same treatment as this and leave us wondering if the early 00s versions would have been better left alone.

Having now re-listened to this version of hard school on a decent stereo I can honestly say the mix is abysmal. It has no “punch” if that’s the right word.

The drums suck. Axl sounds like he’s singing from behind a wall… are TB producing now as well as managing?

it’s still an ok song I guess but doesn’t touch anything from their glory days but I guess that wasn’t gonna happen anyway.

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

Virgin radio Italy played It some ho

urs ago! 

Nice one! I managed to time it right and was driving in the car when the radio station played it here, it was cool to jack up the volume and listen to it loud. It sounded awesome as I only listened to it these past 12 hours on my phone.

The boys did a great job re-working this song!

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, ElectricTear said:

The solo you mentioned doesn't sound like that. Or drums can sound good no matter how sampled and fake they are. It really doesn't matter what is happening behind the scenes, what matters is what you can hear on the finished product. 

And I am pretty sure the solo to Stairway to heaven was recorded in the same decade as the rest of the song lol.. And you knew who the drummer was 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Look buddy.. I just asked what they recording process sounded like and made a couple replies to quotes.  I don't fucking talk shit to or judge anyone on here for what they like or don't like. Don't be offended that I am not excited about hearing the song.. You don't have to be be an asshole about it. 

I haven't commented, because I haven't heard it yet.. After Absurd I have no desire to seek it out.. 

Man, imagine being so invested in how something was made vs how it sounds. You must be fascinated by cheesecakes.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxlUlrich said:

I prefer the version recorded during the CD sessions. 
I only listened to the new version once and did not hit replay

I stopped midway. Guess I'm a bigger fan of the demo than I thought ;)

Oh, well. They released a version of the song, which is fine and well. Hope the most of you get a kick out of it.

21 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The official video is not up yet. The music videos with the disabled comments are automatically uploaded by Youtube and no one can comment on those

I’m in Australia and it’s been on the official GnR YouTube for 13 hours. Comments are turned off although I’ll admit I have no idea or care how all that shit works

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Right......that's what I just said.... 

I was responding to someone who said they thought it was weird there was no promotion for HS today. There was no promotion for HS today because it's not being released until tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just my take, but I don't hear any evolution in Absurd.. It sounds like it could have been on Chinese Democracy which came out 15 years ago.. The soundchecks from Hard School that I heard just sound like a typical hard rock song.. Even with some 80's Guns flavor.. Didn't sound like they were re-inventing the wheel there either.. Not that I personally expect or want them too.. 

Why would anyone want to reinvent a wheel?

1 minute ago, denin said:

I stopped midway. Guess I'm a bigger fan of the demo than I thought ;)

Oh, well. They released a version of the song, which is fine and well. Hope the most of you get a kick out of it.

It was a hard listen for me, cos I love the demo. Give it a few more spins, it's alright, but I prefer the demo still.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’m in Australia and it’s been on the official GnR YouTube for 13 hours. Comments are turned off

If it has the "Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group" in the description, then it's an automatically generated video, not uploaded officially by the account owner.