UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Someone said this earlier, but I think the purpose of the release of this music video, and the way it was edited, is to kind of be a "trailer" for the Ritz Bluray, to show footage from many parts of it not just what was filmed during one song. It really doesn't look as "exciting" to have a video of the band simply performing the song straight through, that's why it was made more like a movie trailer.

That's it exactly. My only critique is that they should've released this video when the song was released instead of today.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

Having now watched the video (its been a busy day), I'm left wondering why they haven't made a bigger deal of the concert film.

This footage is golden and looks strong enough to have been a proper standalone release rather than just an added extra in a box set.

Dare I say it, but a limited cinema release would likely have been a success. 

I would pay to see this in the cinema, definitely hope there is a standalone 4K Blu Ray release.

I remember when Appetite for Democracy somehow "escaped" into a handful of cinemas, I'd be surprised if they made more than $1000 from that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

Not a conspiracy, just trying to figure out why one performance audio clip is being used over footage of various clips with wardrobe changes from band members, different guitars etc. when the performance of the same song with the same audio is being included in the box set as part of a single show. 

Probably looking for something more lively and less stock than your typical live performance clip, I'd guess a video like this gets more eyes than a standalone camera staring at the stage

The track itself is in an interesting unfinished state.. The recording is from May and the album dropped in Sept… slash and Axl are very much still trying stuff out… I’m guessing they’d probably cut the rhythm track already (Duff, Matt and Izzy sound like their parts are locked down, even though Izzy mortally fucks up the intro…) but they were probably yet to record guitar leads/overdubs and vocals. So Slash and Axl are still tweaking bits. 

Axl is pretty close, but it goes to show how much Clink knocked Slash into shape and helped him craft really memorable and definitive leads. Sounds like he’s feeling his way around at this point. Cool to hear stuff like this.

Izzy sounds spectacularly checked out. He comes in wrong, doesn’t make any real attempt to recover, and when he does work out where he is, his playing is seriously limp compared to the intensity the other 4 are playing with. Still… give me a checked-out Izzy over a keen Gilby any day.

Hope we see full live performances at some point… bit weird to see such a heavily cut/edited vid over a live track. Still cool.

I didn't really care for the video. I would have much rather preferred the actual footage that corresponds with the song, not the spliced together shots of Slash with different guitars, and Axl alternating between the purple leather jacket and bare chested.

Not a heck of a lot of Izzy in the clip, either. Was Dizzy Reed shown at all?

2 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

The track itself is in an interesting unfinished state.. The recording is from May and the album dropped in Sept… slash and Axl are very much still trying stuff out… I’m guessing they’d probably cut the rhythm track already (Duff, Matt and Izzy sound like their parts are locked down, even though Izzy mortally fucks up the intro…) but they were probably yet to record guitar leads/overdubs and vocals. So Slash and Axl are still tweaking bits. 

Axl is pretty close, but it goes to show how much Clink knocked Slash into shape and helped him craft really memorable and definitive leads. Sounds like he’s feeling his way around at this point. Cool to hear stuff like this.

Izzy sounds spectacularly checked out. He comes in wrong, doesn’t make any real attempt to recover, and when he does work out where he is, his playing is seriously limp compared to the intensity the other 4 are playing with. Still… give me a checked-out Izzy over a keen Gilby any day.

Hope we see full live performances at some point… bit weird to see such a heavily cut/edited vid over a live track. Still cool.

The tracks were already cut by the time they hit the road, Axl was probably still tweaking and maybe Slash was doing a few overdub? but I think the main thing once they hit the road was mixing and mastering. I think the looseness here is more to do with A) first time playing it live B) they probably hadn't heard it in a while and were forgetting the parts they played and the arrangement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Probably looking for something more lively and less stock than your typical live performance clip, I'd guess a video like this gets more eyes than a standalone camera staring at the stage

So then that's what we should expect from the blu-ray?

6 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I didn't really care for the video. I would have much rather preferred the actual footage that corresponds with the song, not the spliced together shots of Slash with different guitars, and Axl alternating between the purple leather jacket and bare chested.

Not a heck of a lot of Izzy in the clip, either. Was Dizzy Reed shown at all?

0:49 you see Dizzy in the wide shot playing with his tambourine, should have been louder in the mix😜

11 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

So then that's what we should expect from the blu-ray?

No, this is a promotional video. The blu-ray is a concert film and will be cut in a more traditional concert film way like Tokyo etc. Having said that, it's not uncommon if there's two nights recorded that the editors would use clips from night 1 and 2 in the same song even if there's different outfits/guitars (video, not audio) so, just saying it's not unprecedented for edits to be done.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wasn't it London 2012 that was played in a few random theaters, and then never officially released? :lol:

Shoulda released London 2012 instead of Vegas, seemed like a better show overall... what genius decided it needed to be in cinemas??? read the room🤣🤣

*Edit - just put it on and remembered the whole GNR asking a model agency to supply hot girls to stand in the pit🤣🤣 oh my! those were the days🤣

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

that was a reallly bad move from the band back in 2012 but we got 14 years!! lol

It was weird - seemed to be intended for release, then it was replaced with the Vegas show, then it was shown in some random theaters, now it's occasionally played on music TV channels. I wonder who actually owns the recording of that show?

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Shoulda released London 2012 instead of Vegas, seemed like a better show overall... what genius decided it needed to be in cinemas??? read the room🤣🤣

From what I remember it was scheduled for a theatrical release, but ended up with some one-time showings in random theaters :lol:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

The basic tracks (Matt, Duff, Izzy) were already finished by September 1990, then Slash recorded leads for about 2 months and Axl started recording vocals. The mixing started around December 1990 for the finished tracks, while there were still some vocals and maybe guitar overdubs to be done, but then, with about 2/3 of the albums being mixed, they fired Bob Clearmountain who was originally hired to mix them and hired Bill Price in March 1991. So by May 1991 the albums were almost finished - You Could Be Mine was definitely ready, since it was released as a single in June. The last vocals (partially Get in The Ring) were recorded on June 8, 1991.

I guess Izzy was "checked out" because it'd been a long time since he had been involved in working on these tracks, but also because he had slowly started to phase out after he got sober.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, UncleJosh said:

LOL.  We have certainly NOT had this shit. Almost none of the live tracks have been released before officially. I have been waiting for this type of stuff for 30 years.

Why post in this thread and not the new album one? I have zero interest in a new album but you don't see me posting about it in there. I only have interest in box sets or more specifically other archival live material.

I guess I don't understand the point of posts like this.

I guess I’m not allowed to have a negative opinion lol. I’m sorry for not joining the circle jerk over the box. 

The box is underwhelming and overpriced, but I see why people are excited for it.

Hopefully most people have learned not to pay full price for a GNR box set, though. I'll probably get the vinyl box in a few months when it's dropped to a reasonable price. I don't really care about the remasters, I just want some classic GNR shows on vinyl, and the blu ray, book, etc are bonuses.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

The tracks were already cut by the time they hit the road, Axl was probably still tweaking and maybe Slash was doing a few overdub? but I think the main thing once they hit the road was mixing and mastering. I think the looseness here is more to do with A) first time playing it live B) they probably hadn't heard it in a while and were forgetting the parts they played and the arrangement.

I’m pretty sure they played it months earlier at rock in rio, and I think the arrangement was as close to the official release as possible and better than this one other than Axls mic cutting out for a while.

30 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’m pretty sure they played it months earlier at rock in rio, and I think the arrangement was as close to the official release as possible and better than this one other than Axls mic cutting out for a while.

Ah you are correct, well that was also months apart so you can forgive them for having brain farts

• Like 1