Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

9 minutes ago, Gackt said:

but it's safe to assume Slash would have loved Axl singing on them instead of Myles.

Not at all. Slash loves working in that band and loves working with Myles. Just because the fanbase wants one thing, it doesn't mean that those involved are thinking the same way.

At the end of the day, it was Axl that got the ball rolling on the reunion. If Slash was yearning for Axl to sing his songs, he'd have made the first proper move long before 2015. As it turns out Slash never seemed that interested (at least not publicly) before they got back together.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Exactly this

Ashba was a hot catch at the time coming off of working with Motley Crue and Sixx AM; if Axl rejected songs from Ashba, he's not going to give any of Slash's new bangers the time of day.  Slash can say all he wants that SMKC songs are separate from GNR, but it's safe to assume Slash would have loved Axl singing on them instead of Myles.

This argument takes as given that Axl would (or should) be only interested in making/releasing songs for mainstream radio, which doesn't seem to be the case (see Silkworms/Absurd).

18 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

If Slash was yearning for Axl to sing his songs, he'd have made the first proper move long before 2015. As it turns out Slash never seemed that interested (at least not publicly) before they got back together.

When he was promoting his album with all the guest singers, didn't he say the only two that he wanted but couldn't get were Michael Jackson and Axl?

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The partnership thing is complicated. It was active when Slash and Duff were out of the band only in regards to the rights to the back catalog (which all three of them jointly controlled). Now they're apparently partners in the current business.

Interesting 🤔 I guess they are in GNR then kinda sorta 🤣 complicated is the best word to describe anything gnr

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno, if I was Slash I would not be so eager to make the first move after hearing Axl "cancer comments" about him back in 2009 lol I would say at that point it isn't a matter of Slash seeming interested as it was, not even knowing things could be patched up personally until Axl simmered down and randomly decided it was time

Slash: You know, I will be honest with you, even at the sake of it going public, when I was in the middle of this process there were a lot of singers names who flew through my mind during the process. You are living in Singer Land so all you are thinking about is singers. The thought of [Axl] crossed my mind at one point. I thought, “Axl could sing the shit out of any of these songs.” I, obviously, never made the phone call because I wanted to put the record out in this millennium.

Jeb: Hell, he may have never showed up.

Slash: Exactly.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6385-2010-09-26-classic-rock-revisited-slash-dangerously-beautiful

I don't know about currently, but I think Slash must have often thought how his songs would sound like with Axl.

And it may have been the same with Axl. He must have thought how Slash would have played on this or that CD song. Or when he listened, for example, to some VR songs, Fall to Pieces in particular, I can imagine him thinking what he would have done with the vocal melody etc.

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

When he was promoting his album with all the guest singers, didn't he say the only two that he wanted but couldn't get were Michael Jackson and Axl?

Yes, I just posted the quote :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Also unpopular opinion but I think Pele is spot on with most of his comments. Not saying he’s an insider but he’s reading the writing on the walls very well IMO

Can you imagine the meltdown here when 'the songs Axl had lying around' turn out to be Atlas, Perhaps, General and OMG.

3 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Why are you leaving out KOHD?

That'll only happen if they actually go ahead with a full physical release.

Slash says "we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid."

IMO - probably equals probably wont.

5 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Also unpopular opinion but I think Pele is spot on with most of his comments. Not saying he’s an insider but he’s reading the writing on the walls very well IMO

I agree. There’s nothing ‘crazy’ about Pele’s claims at all. The next 2 songs will obviously be ‘Atlas Shrugged’ and/or ‘Perhaps’ with old Axl vocals and guitar and bass by Slash and Duff and I doubt they’ll even come out until the tour starts, which is what, May?! I think these singles are really just to maintain some interest in the band and the never ending tour.

I don’t think we’ll get an album and I don’t think ROSE has any intention of entering a studio ever again in his life unfortunately. The whole ‘Chinese Democracy’ process probably took a massive toll on him mentally, his voice is shot and when he’s not touring he probably just wants to relax at his age, not do more work. My guess is a couple more of these leftover songs as standalone singles, then a farewell tour. Obviously I would love to be proven wrong.

I just don’t get how this Slash interview is making some people optimistic for new songs written with this lineup, when he clearly states they’re working on the stuff Axl has lying around. I’m with Pele in thinking that there isn’t much of that left (with Axl vocals) either…

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash: You know, I will be honest with you, even at the sake of it going public, when I was in the middle of this process there were a lot of singers names who flew through my mind during the process. You are living in Singer Land so all you are thinking about is singers. The thought of [Axl] crossed my mind at one point. I thought, “Axl could sing the shit out of any of these songs.” I, obviously, never made the phone call because I wanted to put the record out in this millennium.

Jeb: Hell, he may have never showed up.

Slash: Exactly.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6385-2010-09-26-classic-rock-revisited-slash-dangerously-beautiful

I don't know about currently, but I think Slash must have often thought how his songs would sound like with Axl.

And it may have been the same with Axl. He must have thought how Slash would have played on this or that CD song. Or when he listened, for example, to some VR songs, Fall to Pieces in particular, I can imagine him thinking what he would have done with the vocal melody etc.

Yes, I just posted the quote :lol:

I know this is about his solo stuff but it would have been very amusing if Axl left Guns N' Roses and joined Velvet Revolver.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This argument takes as given that Axl would (or should) be only interested in making/releasing songs for mainstream radio, which doesn't seem to be the case (see Silkworms/Absurd).

I can't even imagine what a radio friendly version of Absurd would be!

I guess 2 Live Crew did it back in the day with their raunchy lyrics so anything is possible.

49 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

What? Are you sure you've been reading this forum? There hasn't been even one post in this thread saying that Slash's comments might mean that there will be an album of brand new songs written by the current lineup.

Just like @Pele, you argue over points that no one has made. No wonder why you two agree :lol:

I’ve definitely read posts on this forum and elsewhere from fans who believe there will be new material at some point from the current lineup. Some (in this thread) have even alluded that this material will come after they get the CD leftovers out of the way. To summarise, what I’m saying is that I don’t think that will ever happen. I think it’ll just be the CD leftovers, of which I don’t think there are many with vocals. I’m not ‘arguing’ either, I’m just stating my thoughts and opinion on the topic.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Gackt said:

Exactly this

Ashba was a hot catch at the time coming off of working with Motley Crue and Sixx AM; if Axl rejected songs from Ashba, he's not going to give any of Slash's new bangers the time of day.  Slash can say all he wants that SMKC songs are separate from GNR, but it's safe to assume Slash would have loved Axl singing on them instead of Myles.

You think Axl would choose DJ’s songs because of his five minutes of fame with SixxAM and Motley, over Slash’s songs that have become iconic rock songs that stand the test of time? You guys are absolutely delusional…

:lol:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

You think Axl would choose DJ’s songs because of his five minutes of fame with SixxAM and Motley, over Slash’s songs that have become iconic rock songs that stand the test of time? You guys are absolutely delusional…

:lol:

What Slash songs have become iconic rock songs that stand the test of time?

2 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

I agree. There’s nothing ‘crazy’ about Pele’s claims at all. The next 2 songs will obviously be ‘Atlas Shrugged’ and/or ‘Perhaps’ with old Axl vocals and guitar and bass by Slash and Duff and I doubt they’ll even come out until the tour starts, which is what, May?!

My disagreement with Pele has been 1) That he claims Axl hasn't recorded any vocals after 2001 that we haven't heard, and 2) That we will never get another album. I have even explicitly said that his opinions on those two points aren't 'crazy', but what is crazy is the zeal to which he argues points that no one of us can know for sure. The weird conviction and the somewhat creative arguments he will put together to support his beliefs.

Then it seems like Pele has wanted to make it seem like the disagreement has been around what the next two singles will be, with him feverishly arguing that it will be Atlas and Perhaps - something I don't think anyone really finds implausible, including me - perhaps to move the goalposts away from 1 and 2 as his opinions on those points become increasingly unlikely. I can just imagine the reaction from him when Atlas is released - celebrating having "won" a game no one else played.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This method isn’t ideal but it’s something, and with this band that’s all we can really hope for. If we get a single or two a year it’s honestly not too bad. I’m just glad there’s SOME activity happening and we’re going to hear at least bits and pieces of the leftovers.

Im hoping the next is a song we haven’t heard just to fuck up Pele’s day

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Um… pretty much most of AFD, and a big chunk of UYI as well. 

Did I really have to tell you that? 

Oh, I don't consider those Slash songs at all, but GN'R songs. Maybe I missed your point?

3 minutes ago, mystery said:

I'm still surprised they managed to release 2 singles last year and actually performed them live. Especially Hard Skool which had a real push from die-hard fans to be performed live after the 2019 leaks.

Yeah, and more to come :) And a UYI box set. And an EP. And a tour. 

But you know, nothing to talk about, as so many say :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1