10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Quite a lot different. 

Also you can prepare and stabilize your voice at any age, it would take considerable work and training though. If Axl wanted he could go work with a vocal coach for a few months learn essentially how to sing again and learn how to Mai Tai his upper register, bring back (some of) the body he'x lost from his voice and sing with his trademark rasp without killing himself. 

He does need to be taking bigger breaks between shows though. 2 in a row is a bad idea for a band playing over 1.5hrs each night. Gnr do 3.5hrs a lot of the time... It's not a great plan!

I literally don't think he can use that classic rasp anymore, not without straining so hard he blows it out. Its gone, RIP. You can't stablise something that left the building already.

His high clean vocals are there still but has been steadily getting more thin and slowly the top end has been getting more ropey. His voice just has wear and tear, and no amount of training is going to make his voice suddenly back to even 2016 levels. Each tour seems to make it that little bit more ropey, especially at the start and he is having to strain so hard to reach higher notes. 

Rather than just hoping one day it will come back (and spoilers, at age 60 wear and tear doesn't improve) it would be much wiser for Axl to take a different approach, particularly outside the hits. Sure use his higher voice for the classic hits that all the casuals expect as best as he can and save it for those moments (Jungle scream, high SCOM sections, etc) 

Edited by koldbeer2

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It seems the anxiety was caused by his vocal issues. It was before last night's show, actually, according to the article.

I took him staying over as a sarcastic remark

Journalists medical experts now? All he said was he was having vocal issues on top of technical difficulties.

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Quite a lot different. 

Also you can prepare and stabilize your voice at any age, it would take considerable work and training though. If Axl wanted he could go work with a vocal coach for a few months learn essentially how to sing again and learn how to Mai Tai his upper register, bring back (some of) the body he'x lost from his voice and sing with his trademark rasp without killing himself. 

He does need to be taking bigger breaks between shows though. 2 in a row is a bad idea for a band playing over 1.5hrs each night. Gnr do 3.5hrs a lot of the time... It's not a great plan!

Yep. Pretty much this (he should have been doing this anyway, seeing as he's being paid millions to sing). I don't expect him to do it though, so I think he will eventually just have to adapt his lower voice to the songs. 

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Edited by Jw224

6 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

I took him staying over as a sarcastic remark

Journalists medical experts now? All he said was he was having vocal issues on top of technical difficulties.

Didn't sound sarcastic to me . I think he was literal about sleeping there.

The article was published before Axl made the comment. They cited a "well-placed source".

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

Also I'd say if you think he's been sounding the same level recently as he has been the past few years then I'd say you haven't been listening. Shows of this tour have been quite dire even compared to the bad performances before. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Axl sleeping at the venue conjures up images of him snoozing in a camp bed and sleeping bag.

It's a really weird one, though. Why would he want to do that? I think I understand anxiety at some level but that's an odd outcome of it to me. 

20 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Axl sleeping at the venue conjures up images of him snoozing in a camp bed and sleeping bag.

Had the same thoughts.  Back of the limo would be better.  Maybe they brought in an RV.  How did that work?

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But how do we know that he doesn't prepare? I mean, we know that he doesn't rehearse much - although in the recent years he has rehearsed more than he used to. But he does do vocal exercises, warm-ups and warm-downs. I don't think Duff would make that up. I'm also sure that even if he didn't work with Ron Anderson systematically, he consulted him here and there.

From the videos I've watched on this tour it's clear to me that he's been trying really hard with what he has; it's just not there anymore.

out of likes!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

His dressing rooms have had a bed in them before, I'm sure I've read that somewhere. Seeing as they took over the stadium for 2 days I think that's the most likely option. Maybe his dressing room full of his own stuff feels more homely and comforting than a hotel room?

Plus what others said about it feeling mentally less taxing to stay put than go back and forth through London traffic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alfierose said:

His dressing rooms have had a bed in them before, I'm sure I've read that somewhere. Seeing as they took over the stadium for 2 days I think that's the most likely option. Maybe his dressing room full of his own stuff feels more homely and comforting than a hotel room?

Plus what others said about it feeling mentally less taxing to stay put than go back and forth through London traffic.

:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

No expert here, but I do have vocal lessons and A LOT of experience in anxiety.

To be able to sing in high pitch in a safe way you need to relax your vocal fold and have tons of air control on your chest muscles and diaphragm. Try to have both while having an anxiety panic knowing that thousands of fans paid to be there to watch you.

Don't think it has anything to do with him losing his high pitch voice, albeit it's more than normal to have deterioration with his age.

thanks for writing this!:wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I expected this to happen between 2011 and 2014 or after the touring with AC/DC. Is it really that much worse now?

I have not been checking the recent performances because I figured it'd be more of what we got in recent years.

Hope he gets over it, anxiety attacks are no joke.