2023 WORLD TOUR

I find it baffling that they're mounting a stadium tour without any announcement of the support acts.  Makes no sense unless the decision-making will be made later based on (lagging) ticket sales and demand.  Suggests that they want to low ball and money grab.  Just terrible tour management - such a surprise (not!).  Hottest stadium tour this year is Taylor Swift's - and she has support from a number of bands/artists who headline tours on their own.   It's greed, hubris, insanity or any combination of the three.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steelestar said:

I find it baffling that they're mounting a stadium tour without any announcement of the support acts.  Makes no sense unless the decision-making will be made later based on (lagging) ticket sales and demand.  Suggests that they want to low ball and money grab.  Just terrible tour management - such a surprise (not!).  Hottest stadium tour this year is Taylor Swift's - and she has support from a number of bands/artists who headline tours on their own.   It's greed, hubris, insanity or any combination of the three.

Geez. The criticising of this band by all these forum experts is getting beyond ridiculous now. Just anything to criticize, huh? Why is it baffling?? Who the hell buys 300 $ tickets because of support acts?? Who announces support acts the minute shows go on sale?? When have they announced support acts with the tour announcement? More often than not you have no clue who's gonna support until some weeks before the show. And really, it makes way more sense to see how the shows are selling, then they can decide where it would make more sense to maybe have a more profile support act. Also then they can make another press release some weeks down the line announcing the support acts. So they can twice draw attention to the tour.

So, really. It is none of the three. More often than not, support acts are announced sometime down the line and not when the tour gets announced.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

Well, yeah. Those prices are for FOS1. I imagine though they could also add platinum tickets for FOS2.

Oh ok. Yeah FOS1 for me. I cant risk esp if FOS1 is too long. For Red Hot Chili Peppers, I got FOS2 cuz they are my #4 band. Not in my top 3. Top 3- front or I wont attend!!!

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Geez. The criticising of this band by all these forum experts is getting beyond ridiculous now. Just anything to criticize, huh? Why is it baffling?? Who the hell buys 300 $ tickets because of support acts?? Who announces support acts the minute shows go on sale?? When have they announced support acts with the tour announcement? More often than not you have no clue who's gonna support until some weeks before the show. And really, it makes way more sense to see how the shows are selling, then they can decide where it would make more sense to maybe have a more profile support act. Also then they can make another press release some weeks down the line announcing the support acts. So they can twice draw attention to the tour.

So, really. It is none of the three. More often than not, support acts are announced sometime down the line and not when the tour gets announced.

Say what you want pal, this is still a cash grab.

The band looks bored AF playing the same ol’ songs in the same ol’ order.

The most energy I’ve seen from them is when they play Absurd and HardSkool. At last! Something new to break the monotony!

If only they’d release a few more…

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If Corey Taylor had done an album with Velvet Revolver, it would probably be regarded as the best 'GNR side project' album. Hopefully we hear some of those demos someday. He's played It's So Easy with Slash a few times and it sounded great, I think he's done a couple other GNR covers too.

Yes I would certainly love to hear that. I'm sure they recorded a good chunk of tunes

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If Corey Taylor had done an album with Velvet Revolver, it would probably be regarded as the best 'GNR side project' album. Hopefully we hear some of those demos someday. He's played It's So Easy with Slash a few times and it sounded great, I think he's done a couple other GNR covers too.

I was listening to Stone Sour cover Outshined after Chris Cornell died and Corey Taylor did a great job on it, he's a great singer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

The most energy I’ve seen from them is when they play Absurd and HardSkool. At last! Something new to break the monotony!

Hopefully there will be a new single or 2 and they play those, keep Absurd and HS and replace covers with the new ones.

6 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

A cash grab it will be, once they start playing 90 minute shows. As long as they play 3+ hours it surely is no cash grab.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gnrcane said:

Hopefully there will be a new single or 2 and they play those, keep Absurd and HS and replace covers with the new ones.

That was the hope last year but nothing happened. They're a band that really doesn't care that they're just touring for money, there's no purpose attached to it that makes it truly necessary when they've been touring every year since 2016. They even managed to play some shows right up to the COVID lockdown in 2020. 

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

I respectfully disagree and am open to examples supporting your position.  High-priced stadium ticket sales are driven by initial tour announcements and on-sale dates - absent significant price discounts, sales tend to drop-off considerably as time goes by.  Repeat business from more casual fans typically requires the perception of something new or enhanced value for the high prices being paid.  Again, I'm open to examples that would indicate otherwise.  Particularly for a "legacy" (and I hate that characterization) band that tours with predictable regularity with essentially the same setlist and show.  

On for the record, I love the band.  That does not mean I have to give up the right to cast a critical eye.  I've been to 15 shows since the '16 reunion and have EE pit tix for San Diego.  My criticism is with regard to how the tour is being managed - they intend to sell out stadiums with a tour that brings absolutely nothing new to the table - they no longer even feel a need to suggest otherwise.  There is no attempt or perceived need to enhance value or interest in the band or tour.  And again - it's all about context - for arenas, I think it works just fine.  But when you're intending to double or triple capacity at much larger venues with high ticket prices, it becomes something else entirely.

I  would love to see deep cuts like Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied up and could do with less covers...but I  keep going to shows to see Slash play the songs that mean so much to me.

I pay and will continue to pay to see Slash do his magic. I  personally have always got a good show from Axl.

If I could go to every single show I would even if they play the same set list every time.

• Like 4

On 2/22/2023 at 11:29 PM, Subtle Signs said:

All that's left for the first New Jersey show is official platinum. To me,if there aren't standard tickets left, it's sold out. I guess no show is ever truly sold out then since there's official platinum and fan to fan resale along with StubHub, Seatgeek etc 

Point stands that new music from most legacy acts isn't gonna move tickets. 

And using Metalica as evicence that new music doesn't move tickets is a poor choice, they literally have a new song out and album coming in April. 

3 hours ago, steelestar said:

I respectfully disagree and am open to examples supporting your position.  High-priced stadium ticket sales are driven by initial tour announcements and on-sale dates - absent significant price discounts, sales tend to drop-off considerably as time goes by.  Repeat business from more casual fans typically requires the perception of something new or enhanced value for the high prices being paid.  Again, I'm open to examples that would indicate otherwise.  Particularly for a "legacy" (and I hate that characterization) band that tours with predictable regularity with essentially the same setlist and show.  

On for the record, I love the band.  That does not mean I have to give up the right to cast a critical eye.  I've been to 15 shows since the '16 reunion and have EE pit tix for San Diego.  My criticism is with regard to how the tour is being managed - they intend to sell out stadiums with a tour that brings absolutely nothing new to the table - they no longer even feel a need to suggest otherwise.  There is no attempt or perceived need to enhance value or interest in the band or tour.  And again - it's all about context - for arenas, I think it works just fine.  But when you're intending to double or triple capacity at much larger venues with high ticket prices, it becomes something else entirely.

The band and there management don't control the touring aspect nor ticketing prices. 

The band have a booking agent, a tour promotor or promotors and those promotors will have a relationship with a ticketing agency. 

A tour is dictated by supply and demand and the financial risks lie with the promotor. 

If the tour sells poorly the promotor loses financially interms of covering overheads and reduced revenue. The band gets paid regardless. 

A promotor would have seen a demand, approached the bands booking agent, and made a financial offer (guaranted upfront payment to the band). 

The bands management would have been presented that offer, either accepting or declining the offer.. 

Most people don't understand.. There is a demand for people to see this band live and it's making a profit for all involved from the promotors to the band itself. 

Playing in stadiums, arenas or when to announce support acts don't matter in the grand scheme of things. 

We on this forum are a small manority compared to the majority, who are more then happy to pay money to see the band, who don't fret over the set list, the venue the band plays in, Axl's vocals or new music being released. 

The causal fan is causing the supply and demand for the band to tour.. not us on this forum. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 4

Decided to bite the bullet and get tickets for the Vancouver show. Family wants to go and the price was a bit more reasonable than I expected, $125 before fees. Should get decent sound, I'm in the lower bowl kind of behind the mix board.

Being the last show of the tour, it will probably be one of Axl's better nights, and the setlist might have some extras. And if they're gonna release music this year, I'll probably hear it live, even if they release it near the end of the tour like Hardschool. I bought these tickets knowing it will be my last GNR show, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Decided to bite the bullet and get tickets for the Vancouver show. Family wants to go and the price was a bit more reasonable than I expected, $125 before fees. Should get decent sound, I'm in the lower bowl kind of behind the mix board.

Being the last show of the tour, it will probably be one of Axl's better nights, and the setlist might have some extras. And if they're gonna release music this year, I'll probably hear it live, even if they release it near the end of the tour like Hardschool. I bought these tickets knowing it will be my last GNR show, though.

That's how I'm approaching it. It's been six years since I last saw the band, and unless something drastic changes with new music this could very well be my last time seeing them (as far as my personal interest/investment in the band goes). At only $100 plus fees for Montreal I couldn't say no.

In general I'm just seeing a lot less concerts these days due to the ever inflating prices so when I do go I'm far more selective about who I'm seeing in relation to price and venue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

That's how I'm approaching it. It's been six years since I last saw the band, and unless something drastic changes with new music this could very well be my last time seeing them (as far as my personal interest/investment in the band goes). At only $100 plus fees for Montreal I couldn't say no.

In general I'm just seeing a lot less concerts these days due to the ever inflating prices so when I do go I'm far more selective about who I'm seeing in relation to price and venue.

Yup to everything you said. I practically saw them for free when they came in 2021, why wouldn’t I go given the chance? It’s GNR and even if they aren’t close to even 2016, it’s better than staying at home. 

I go to way less shows now as I get older, too

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think it was Slash that said they recorded 10 songs with him, and he was the closest they got to a replacement for Scott.

The first song on Cherrie Curries latest album, produced by Matt Sorum, is a VR leftover instrumental. It has Slash, Duff and Matt on it. I wonder if it’s one of the songs they did with Corey. 

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Are the $100 tickets on the floor or lower bowl? I thought about getting cheaper seats but the sound at the back of the upper bowl in BC Place will probably be echo-y as fuck. I don't really wanna travel to Van just to hear 3 hours of mud... so these are what I got:

Screenshot_20230224-101014_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.707b94fe2c680c11078cc66ef81f0b3e.jpg

I'm also going to way fewer shows than I used to, and there's still a few other bands I'd like to see this year, but it's been 6 years since I've seen GNR and there's still a handful of songs that sound good. Hopefully they keep playing the slow version of You're Crazy.

• Like 1

I’ve been to close to 20 GNR shows. Last show I saw was on the first NITL tour. Only way I’d ever see them again(especially since the performance level has decreased so much) is based on the opening band and new material.

You will always have fun at a GNR show, but I can’t pay for the same GNR playlist with bad interchangeable covers. If NuGuns was back I’d be more than happy to pay any amount of cash. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

32 minutes ago, circusboy666 said:

I’ve been to close to 20 GNR shows. Last show I saw was on the first NITL tour. Only way I’d ever see them again(especially since the performance level has decreased so much) is based on the opening band and new material.

You will always have fun at a GNR show, but I can’t pay for the same GNR playlist with bad interchangeable covers. If NuGuns was back I’d be more than happy to pay any amount of cash. 

NuGNR did seem to have more energetic shows and crowds. 2016 and even 17’ was on par, but it has gone done quite a bit since then. But hey, they are all 60+ these days, so that’s to be expected. The last time I saw Ozzy, I was just glad to see him on stage trying, still had fun. I’m hoping GNR will continue to tour like The Rolling Stones. A few years ago I was at a stones show and we were talking about how the average fans were all in their 50’s-60’s and we were the youngsters in our early 30’s. I said then, I hope to still be able to see GNR and Motley Crue when I’m in my 50’s. Still have some years to go, but it seems possible for GNR. Not so much for MC. This current tour isn’t selling well in the US and since Mick is gone, I bet this will be the last go-round for them

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

And using Metalica as evicence that new music doesn't move tickets is a poor choice, they literally have a new song out and album coming in April. 

They have Pantera/WVH and INK/FFDP opening along with reasonably priced two night tickets. The draw was that and a completely different set each night of the weekend. I doubt people are flocking there to hear lux aeterna.

Edited by Subtle Signs