You're Crazy vs You're Crazy (Acoustic)

As the title states, do you prefer the Appetite for Destruction version of You're Crazy or the GNR Lies version of You're Crazy thats acoustic and the version they've done live since until they brought back the AFD version last year?

I've always preferred the original as a speed metal type song and think the Lies version sounds retrofitted to work as an acoustic song.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Acoustic, and it's not even close. For me, the Lies version of You're Crazy is a top 10 GNR song.

I like the original but I can admit that the acoustic version has a real groove to it and has some of Axl's best vocals. I just prefer the chaos of the AFD version.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mystery said:

I like the original but I can admit that the acoustic version has a real groove to it and has some of Axl's best vocals. I just prefer the chaos of the AFD version.

The electric version fits the vibe of AFD, but yea the acoustic version has a way better groove. The live versions from '88 where they started with the slow version and it morphed into the fast version were great.

• Like 2

Acoustic all the way. But some of the live versions they did over the years, where it was electric but slowed down into the acoustic style? That version is pretty close. Especially the few times Axl really nailed the vocals.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 3

I love both the Appetite and Lies versions. But the mostly acoustic version on Lies gets my vote. The slowed down groove is just perfect. It's for me one of Axl's best vocal performances and showcases for what he could do in his prime.

I like the Live Era and other versions where they play it slowed down but electric too.

And of course the Appetite version is great when you want to let off steam and just want to listen to fast angry music.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

They should have added SOYL or YCBM instead of the fast YC on AfD.

There's definitely merit to replacing You're Crazy on AFD with SOYL and saving it for Lies. Both songs are roughly the same length and tempo and I think one of the reasons SOYL wasn't on Appetite is sharing a writing credit with Paul Huge when there's 2 other songs with shared credits on the album.

acoustic version.  which I believe is how it was originally written, but then sped up for AFD. 

I can't remember where I heard this, so I could be wrong.  

I love the afd version too, but if I'm picking just one, its Lies version. 

Edit:  here's where slash says it's originally acoustic.  in case anyone is interested.  https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-youre-crazy/

Edited by Chester 524
m
  • Like 2

Ooooorrrrr... the electric version of the acoustic version that's on the AFD re-release. I like all versions, it depends what mood I'm in, but if I had to pick one, it'd be that.

I'm actually digging the live version on the Hard Skool EP right now. I also liked it when they played it in London last year and the intro was a bit messed up, ha

my rating

1. You're Crazy - GN'R Lies
2. You're Crazy - Live Era '87 - '93 (Tokyo 1988)
3. You're Crazy - Acoustic Version (GN'R Lies Session)
4. You're Crazy - Appetite For Destruction
5. You're Crazy - Electric Version (Sound City Session)
6. You're Crazy - Hard Skool EP (Live 2021)
7. You're Crazy - Acoustic Version (Sound City Session)

• Like 1

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

If I'm not mistaken, all of Appetite was written on acoustic.

But slowed down You're Crazy is way better and as others have stated, is arguably the best performance from GnR in the catalogue. 

I'd like to hear the slowed down acoustic version of Anything Goes with those lyrics.