DeadSlash

"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Only single gig(s) have been mentioned so far; it does not have to mean a whole tour. They said no huge tour before the record. Hope they'll stick to it. 

On 7/24/2019 at 4:25 AM, J Dog said:

OMG to me is probably the best nu-Guns song. Idk, maybe Better. But whatever Axl was going for, they kinda nailed it on Oh My God.

Funny, was just talking to @ZoSoRose about OMG and how I paid for the End of Days version on iTunes years ago. Now that whole soundtrack is gone off iTunes along with Oh My God :/

But weirdly, it was uploaded to YouTube Music back in December from GNR:

Just removed a couple of posts. Please see @downzy's message in this thread where he says we're closing that discussion for the time being:
http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/222522-unreleased-material-speculation-discussion-no-posting-or-asking-for-links/?page=105

There's 105 pages of discussion there which is more than enough especially considering the fact that it would appear no new information is coming any time soon. I was disappointed to see a couple of users carry the discssion over the this thread but I removed those posts and I'm reminding everyone to see Downzy's message above. Please do not start new threads or carry the discussion over to other threads. If and when there is anything further to discss about the topic, we will re-open it. 

I feel myself and the rest of the staff have done our absolute best regarding all of the extra work that came our way over the past week. As I said, there was 105 pages of discussion so it's not like everyone wasn't afforded the opportunity to have a say while new information was coming in. However, there's just nothing new to speculate on currently so we've closed discussion on here for now. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 4:22 AM, Amir said:

Not available in my country :( 

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Not available in my country :( 

Weird, you in the UK? YouTube Music is available there now. I'm in Mexico currently which is also among the countries that YouTube Music is provided to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube_Music

But it could be there are different distribution rights in the UK. I think I looked for Oh My God while in Australia on YouTube a few months back and it wasn't there either (my iTunes is set to Australia which is why I likely don't see it there as well).

• Like 1

What was the general reaction when Oh My God was released?

Nowadays it's just a footnote it seems like. I remember back in the "dark days" between 02 and 06 lots of chatter about it. But nothing too concrete is sticking out to me other than they were calling it a demo for some reason.

5 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

Nowadays it's just a footnote it seems like. I remember back in the "dark days" between 02 and 06 lots of chatter about it. But nothing too concrete is sticking out to me other than they were calling it a demo for some reason.

At least in my country there werent any talks about it. 

I remember getting a magazine from the biggest rock radio at the time and they mentioned it, but I didnt see anything aside it. No airplay, nothing. 

57 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

There was no reaction in the US either.. I remember I was excited and went out and bought the EOD soundtrack but I didn't know anyone else who was excited about it.  

On 7/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, Amir said:

Funny, was just talking to @ZoSoRose about OMG and how I paid for the End of Days version on iTunes years ago. Now that whole soundtrack is gone off iTunes along with Oh My God :/

Man, I would really like this track if it had a better mix, the drums are really cranked up and it takes away from the guitars and Axl. I think the dynamic range is just bad, doesn't feel like there's any separation on the instruments and the track is brickwalled

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bumbleslash69 said:

Got played once per day for a few weeks in a top 20 countdown. Prob means Interscope “paid” for some promo behind it to see if it stuck. It didn’t stick

Edited by guitarpatch

3 hours ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I can tell you like it was yesterday. I got a advance copy of the cd, i usually stick around & shoot the shit with the guys, but this day was different..i popped the cd in the cd player, skipped to the song & was shocked at how bad the production was on it.  I swear i sat in that parking lot for about 10 minutes till it got playable. Anyway i went to mcdonalds to celebrate & bump. These snotty girls asked "what a you listeng too"? I responded gnr.  They laughed & said i didnt know they were still around. Their guys came up & said "i dont care who that is, it sounds terrible, turn it off!!!!!

That was my long winded response. I know they played it on K-Rock 106.7 here and the DJ Nicole Alvarez said she didn't like it at all. And then I don't remember it being played again

• Like 2

They played it on Mary Anne Hobbs' Radio 1 Rock Show here in the United Kingdom and I recorded it on a cassette which became my default copy for a number of years until I finally mustered enough energy to purchase the soundtrack (it was full of new metal rubbish so I wasn't in much of a hurry). Pertaining to popularity, the song sunk without a trace. Rose did two long interviews for Rolling Stone and Kurt Loder about the same time; these were the interviews where all of those song titles were leaked, and the comment ''Physical Graffiti re-mixed by Reznor'' appeared; to all and intents and purposes it was the beginning of the ''new gnr'' thing, the initial media blitz preceding even HoB/Rio3. Well, taking collectively - two interviews and ''Oh My God'' - all of this generated a bit of gossip among the GN'R cognoscenti but little excitement in more mainstream circles. Commercially the song tanked, and the film it was saddled with was not exactly the greatest Arnie vehicle. 

I found a version  where someone brought the guitars up front where you could actually hear them and it made the song 100 percent better. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bumbleslash69 said:

The geneal reaction was „Oh my god!“. 

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

The geneal reaction was „Oh my god!“. 

I can't deny this

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I can't deny this

I've been taught just to kill and fight this.

I still think that the line-up from 1998/99 had the potential to release something as big as UYI. 

13 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I still think that the line-up from 1998/99 had the potential to release something as big as UYI. 

If you mean "big" as in commercially successful, idk. If it was released in 1999 my guess is it could have sold 5 million copies maybe even more. 7 mill if they promoted it like crazy and it had a hit single.

UYI had Estranged, November Rain, YCBM, Civil War, etc. Huge guns. I prefer the 2002 line up mostly because Brain and Bucket joined. I think Bucket especially made it more interesting but I still think Paul helped Axl a lot when it came to coming up with a good foundation for a song and was probably a very important element in new Guns.

To answer the OP's question:

I remember watching the movie thinking it was really boring and a waste of time but then when it was over and Oh My God started playing during the end credits I thought it sounded pretty cool. After listening to it again I felt that Axl had something. I could get on board with this musical direction. I love this tune and still listen to it today.

I think perhaps Axl got a little too excited and released it cause Jimmy Iovine told him he should or some shit. This tune actually needed more work imo and should have been included on the album. Great drum parts by Josh and Dizzy got to help with the chorus hook which is neat.

Great Axl vocals with a killer delivery and the lyrics are pretty dark. Also got that classic drama fueled Axl vibe like a car chase which I like.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Personally, I love “Oh My God”. Probably one of my Top 10-12 Guns songs. Very unbridled- and I think does represent the sound Axl was pushing for- and therefore has a certain courage/honesty to it artistically IMHO. Certainly can’t argue with the personnel (Navarro, Freese, Finck, Stinson, etc.)- particularly from a late 90s POV.

Unfortunately, it was mostly panned by critics upon release, and Axl was not inclined to really stand behind it for whatever reason. I guess much like Chinese itself- it seemingly caught the band in a weird spot with Finck having returned to NIN, and with no plans to tour. So it was never really clear how they were supposed to build on it if they even wanted to. It was cool to hear it played at RIR III though. Thought the Bucket line-up did a good job with it...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2019 at 4:22 AM, Amir said:

I wanted to listen to this but it's not available in the UK. I'm assuming its a higher quality version than ones on YouTube. It's not available on Spotify either. :shrugs:

39 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

I wanted to listen to this but it's not available in the UK. I'm assuming its a higher quality version than ones on YouTube. It's not available on Spotify either. :shrugs:

GN'R streaming is so odd. OMG is available on Spotify in the US but not in other countries. Then songs like Bad Obsession come and go now and then from the US Spotify but seem to be constantly available in other countries. So weird. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

GN'R streaming is so odd. OMG is available on Spotify in the US but not in other countries. Then songs like Bad Obsession come and go now and then from the US Spotify but seem to be constantly available in other countries. So weird. 

Correct. The End of Days soundtrack only has 4 songs available in Brazil Spotify, OMG is not there. And this YouTube video is not available to me either.

For some reason, I couldn't find the Live Era album in the GNR profile on Spotify. But if I search for the album, it's still available there.

• Confused 1

The first time I heard omg first thought was “he should have had me mix and engineer this” And then I thought about how hyped it was that Navarro played the solo... but to this day I don’t hear a guitar solo!!?? Do I have the official version? I hear that section where there’s Load-era Hammett “adding colours and vibes” shit, but no solo

1 hour ago, soon said:

The first time I heard omg first thought was “he should have had me mix and engineer this” And then I thought about how hyped it was that Navarro played the solo... but to this day I don’t hear a guitar solo!!?? Do I have the official version? I hear that section where there’s Load-era Hammett “adding colours and vibes” shit, but no solo

The solo is short, mudded in the mix and kinda weak, but as far as I know, it's still there.

• Thanks 1