The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

37 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Just thinking out loud here, but if Slash is releasing a new album early 2022, why would GnR, after 13 years of radio silence, release an album before this time, and likewise, why drop another single (HS) without an album. It doesn't make sense. Unless, the album that's been referred to doesn't need promotion and they're just cashing in on 5 years of touring, and they release a live album, or another best of album. Thoughts? 

Nothing makes sense in GNR county… 

• Like 2

At this point, anything can happen. Guns’ EU tour starts in June. If Slash wants to tour his record, I guess he’ll have to use the time until then. If Guns want to release anything – and surmising the record must have been finished by now, ffs – there is no reason not to release it by June. Then again, the plan may be completely different. Maybe all we’ll get is HS with no proper video again, and a new cover played live. Maybe Axl will be recuperating his voice, while fiddling about with "final touches". Fuck knows. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

What are the actual chances of "Going Down" with Axl on vocals makes it on the album?

Because I think that song is fantastic.

There was chat of Axl having recorded lead vocals for it, allegedly this was confirmed by Beta on Instagram, but no one was able to provide proof and we later assumed the person that said it was talking bollocks. Great song and Tommy sounds great on it, it's a shame it never got released while that era of the band was still together. It's the sort of song that would have showcased Axl's range incredibly well if he ever did record a lead vocal for it.

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Didn't GN'R sell or release the rights of that song? Sort of like what they did with Crash Diet.

It's not a bad song, and is radio friendly. Definitely needs Axl to lead, with maybe backing vocals from Tommy or Duff. GN'R has a weird theme of bass players who try to sing too. 

Tommy tried to get it back from them if they weren't going to be doing anything with it and was told no.

GNR really are an incredible band. The only band I know who take decades to finish albums, only for fans to discover that most of the material was leaked years before and then realise that most of the tracks have been needlessly saturated with overdubs and pointless intros. I don't recall any other band having this problem with leaks?

• Like 2

In latest Sweden rock magazine there is a page/advertisement with a date only on a black background: 10.9.21

Could tvis be related to GNR? It was part of this team who got Slash to speak about the reunion first, right? :blink:

Edit: Sorry, must be Metallica Black album anniversary

Edited by betterman
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Don't think this deserves a new thread, but Aerosmith just signed a deal with UMG to move their entire catalogue. 

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/rock-band-aerosmith-universal-music-group-sign-alliance-deal-2021-08-23/

This is important for GNR because it's an strategic move from Universal before the IPO in September. The French group Vivendi is getting ready to open it to the market. I'm guessing that if GNR is indeed planning something for this year, any announcement would be after that. Maybe the band (via Duff) could even buy some stake in order to have a more active whole? Maybe that's the perfect time to buy back their catalogue? Not sure, but you guys have way more knowledge than me, so I would be glad to read some of your thoughts.

Interesting point.

If I recall correctly, the back catalogue was sold to Sanctuary back in '05 or so right? Wonder what the net gains/loss would be? Surely would be at quite a big loss vs. the original deal as it seems that large hedgefunds/companies are picking up back catalogues en masse at the moment!

Sanctuary deal information:

The deal with music powerhouse Sanctuary Group covers both the back catalogue, which includes hits such as ‘Sweet Child Of Mine’, ‘Paradise City’ and ‘November Rain’, as well as Rose's future material, including dozens of new tracks he recently recorded for Universal Music.

After burning up charts and selling out stadiums around the world in the late '80s and early '90s, Guns N' Roses endured a bitter split, leaving only Rose and keyboard player Dizzy Reed to soldier on under the GN’R banner. Former members SLASH (Saul Hudson) and Duff (Michael) McKagan, now part of the band VELVET REVOLVER, filed a lawsuit against Rose last year over who controls the rights to the old GN’R songs. The suit is still pending.

McKagan's lawyer, Glen Miskel, expressed surprise when told of the Sanctuary deal. He said Rose, Slash and Duff were part of a partnership and "neither Sanctuary nor Axl Rose have provided the remaining partners with a copy of that agreement." He added Rose is trying to transfer copyright interests in songs which "are not owned by Mr. Rose." Guns N' Roses' manager Merck Mercuriadis, who just so happens to be CEO of Sanctuary Group, said he didn't want to comment beyond the announcement of the deal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Interesting point.

If I recall correctly, the back catalogue was sold to Sanctuary back in '05 or so right? Wonder what the net gains/loss would be? Surely would be at quite a big loss vs. the original deal as it seems that large hedgefunds/companies are picking up back catalogues en masse at the moment!

Sanctuary deal information:

The deal with music powerhouse Sanctuary Group covers both the back catalogue, which includes hits such as ‘Sweet Child Of Mine’, ‘Paradise City’ and ‘November Rain’, as well as Rose's future material, including dozens of new tracks he recently recorded for Universal Music.

After burning up charts and selling out stadiums around the world in the late '80s and early '90s, Guns N' Roses endured a bitter split, leaving only Rose and keyboard player Dizzy Reed to soldier on under the GN’R banner. Former members SLASH (Saul Hudson) and Duff (Michael) McKagan, now part of the band VELVET REVOLVER, filed a lawsuit against Rose last year over who controls the rights to the old GN’R songs. The suit is still pending.

McKagan's lawyer, Glen Miskel, expressed surprise when told of the Sanctuary deal. He said Rose, Slash and Duff were part of a partnership and "neither Sanctuary nor Axl Rose have provided the remaining partners with a copy of that agreement." He added Rose is trying to transfer copyright interests in songs which "are not owned by Mr. Rose." Guns N' Roses' manager Merck Mercuriadis, who just so happens to be CEO of Sanctuary Group, said he didn't want to comment beyond the announcement of the deal.

Yeah, like the article says, only the part of Axl's publishing rights to the back catalogue was leased to Sanctuary (Slash and Duff retained their publishing) and also Axl's rights to future material. With that deal, Axl's publishing company, Black Frog, became affiliated with Sanctuary.

After Sanctuary went bankrupt, it was bought out by UMG Publishing, so UMG bought Axl's deal, too. UMG still has Axl's publishing, unknown if it's the same deal they bought from Sanctuary or a new deal.

Note: As I understand it, the publishing (the rights from songwriting) which was what the deal with Sanctuary was about is different from the rights to the master recordings (usually owned by the record label the artist is signed with). It seems the Aerosmith deal is about the master recordings.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Any info on that?

4 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Never heard this before, where has this come from? Sources/links?

I believe it was an interview that appeared on YouTube a few years back while NITL was in full swing. I'm not digging for it, but if you use the search feature on here, I'm pretty sure it'll have been discussed on here previously.

6 hours ago, betterman said:

In latest Sweden rock magazine there is a page/advertisement with a date only on a black background: 10.9.21

Could tvis be related to GNR? It was part of this team who got Slash to speak about the reunion first, right? :blink:

Edit: Sorry, must be Metallica Black album anniversary

Metallica was released in August. 

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, but the anniversary release has been announced for Sept. 10, 2021:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/metallica-black-album-anniversary-reissue-covers-1187571/

Thought Metallica really dropped the ball with their 80's reissues (especially And Justice) when they opted for remasters instead of full remix's. Luckily for them the Black Album was produced perfectly so a simple remaster is all that's needed here.

10 hours ago, Dean said:

Tommy tried to get it back from them if they weren't going to be doing anything with it and was told no.

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Ah, that's rather savage of GN'R! This implies they have interest in releasing it.

2 hours ago, Pele said:

Any info on that?

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Never heard this before, where has this come from? Sources/links?

Here is something about it (he said he wished he could get it back, although it doesn't seem he mentioned trying to get it back):

Also here:

TS: No, because I didn’t sing any Replacements stuff. I’d be stupid getting up there trying to fucking sing fucking “Alex Chilton.” I didn’t sing that. I played bass on it and helped write it. I was part of writing I suppose. No, no, I wouldn’t do that. The only Guns N Roses song I would sing would be the one that I fuckin’ wrote that apparently has leaked all over the internet the past 15-20 years. Whatever.

https://nysmusic.com/2019/12/10/interview-tommy-stinson-gives-himself-some-breathing-room/

And in this interview with Brando from April 2018 he said he didn't know what was going to happen with the song and if Axl would want to do anything with it (24:32 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jljWbch4q2M

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Since we're at it, a reminder of this Tommy Stinson quote (2017):

Incidentally, Stinson says there’s a wealth of recordings Guns N’ Roses made during his tenure that have yet to be released. “There’s some stuff with lyrics, some without,” he says. “We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it. There’s also stuff that was held over from [the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there’s some stuff that should someday see the light of day.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/how-tommy-stinson-moved-on-from-replacements-and-guns-n-roses-116429/

• GNFNR 4

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Thought Metallica really dropped the ball with their 80's reissues (especially And Justice) when they opted for remasters instead of full remix's. Luckily for them the Black Album was produced perfectly so a simple remaster is all that's needed here.

Gotta say I totally disagree. I have each of the boxes and reckon they have been almost perfect - they should have had a 5.1 mix like the AFD set.

I totally get the Justice argument but never expected to see a remix. And TBH - the rough mix disc in the set has the bass turned up anyways (I’d caveat that a few tracks have missing extra guitars/some vocals).

If I recall correctly someone from this forum said they went to one of Tommy’s garage gigs/ meet-and-greets in like 2016/2017 and said that Tommy told him that he tried to get Going Down back from GnR but they said no, even though they also told him that they’re not planning to ever use the song anyways. Damn shame, if true. It should be a Tommy song. That 2000 demo he did on his own at Village was awesome.

Edited by rocknroll41

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

If I recall correctly someone from this forum said they went to one of Tommy’s garage gigs/ meet-and-greets in like 2016/2017 and said that Tommy told him that he tried to get Going Down back from GnR but they said no, even though they also told him that they’re not planning to ever use the song anyways. Damn shame, if true. It should be a Tommy song. That 2000 demo he did on his own at Village was awesome.

Yes, it's in the first link in my post above the one with the RS quote.

• Like 1