NITL live videos on youtube

8 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Haven’t watched yet but I do think it’s lame they’re already repeating songs in these selects. They played something like 50 songs in this tour but here comes RQ & ISE again.

I am glad they did, because the last versions were absolute garbage.. These ones are actually ones I would and have already shared with people.. Watching again right now for the third time.. I just wish there were more shots of the crowd and stuff but maybe they are saving that for a DVD. With no tours, this would be a perfect time for a DVD/Blu Ray/Stream...

• Like 2

It was better than most of the other Selects, but that's not a very high bar. The first 3 songs were pretty good and the last 3 were just ok.

It's So Easy was good.

WTTJ was pretty much an average performance from 2016, pretty good and definitely better than 2017-20 performances.

Sorry was good overall but Slash's solo was pretty bad... just noodling his way through it.

RQ was definitely better than the Download Select... not great but passable. I went for a smoke during the extended solo.

UTLH... every performance I've heard of this song on the NITL tour was kind of a mess.

Nightrain was kinda weak but the 2nd half was solid.

43 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Being a singer, I love it when Axl sings those low parts like in ISE. It's powerful and effortless for him because it's his natural range. 

Indeed, and his overall tonality in his natural register is still great. So many of the songs would sound totally fine if he readapted then to fit his natural voice. Different, but fine, and he'd knock it out of the park every time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Indeed, and his overall tonality in his natural register is still great. So many of the songs would sound totally fine if he readapted then to fit his natural voice. Different, but fine, and he'd knock it out of the park every time.

Only way that works is if the band completely change the arrangements, but then they are new songs and I don't think the audience want to hear reinterpretations of SCOM, NV, Jungle, Estranged etc. I'd rather have him swing for the fence rather than ducking out. The guy just needs to work his ass off. He hasn't lost his voice he's just not motivated for whatever reason & I think he still sort of believes he can go out there with the same prep he put in 30yrs ago... and that's just not the case.

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Only way that works is if the band completely change the arrangements, but then they are new songs and I don't think the audience want to hear reinterpretations of SCOM, NV, Jungle, Estranged etc. I'd rather have him swing for the fence rather than ducking out. The guy just needs to work his ass off. He hasn't lost his voice he's just not motivated for whatever reason & I think he still sort of believes he can go out there with the same prep he put in 30yrs ago... and that's just not the case.

Nov Rain could be stripped right down to a Skin N' Bones style arrangement with Axl singing in a lower voice, then the band comes in at the end and he can scream the outro. Zero (or minimal) Mickey vocals and it'd still be recognizable to the audience.

Estranged he could use his speaking voice, or the kind of voice he used on Marseilles in 2014, or that nasally kind of voice that he uses on Sorry... there's no reason to use that weak grandma voice.

SCOM is kind of a lost cause at this point though :lol:

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Nov Rain could be stripped right down to a Skin N' Bones style arrangement with Axl singing in a lower voice, then the band comes in at the end and he can scream the outro. Zero (or minimal) Mickey vocals and it'd still be recognizable to the audience.

Estranged he could use his speaking voice, or the kind of voice he used on Marseilles in 2014, or that nasally kind of voice that he uses on Sorry... there's no reason to use that weak grandma voice.

SCOM is kind of a lost cause at this point though :lol:

As long as they don't turn into the fucking foo fighters and do an acoustic intro for every song that might be OK (I despise this method). You never know until you hear it. But certain songs just won't improve. There's a reason he used that voice on the recording instead if singing low or some other way. 

The grandma voice should go and stay gone, but the answer is Axl going to a vocal coach and learning his way around his current ability. If he starts singing low more often, then he'll be fucking bon Jovi and that's a great example of how it sounds when a singer who sings high suddenly changes into their "natural voice", and we can all agree BJ  sound awful now, even with the background singers singing the high notes. Best I've seen it done is Aerosmith who hired a keyboard player with a similar tone to Stevens voice.

19 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

As long as they don't turn into the fucking foo fighters and do an acoustic intro for every song that might be OK (I despise this method). You never know until you hear it. But certain songs just won't improve. There's a reason he used that voice on the recording instead if singing low or some other way. 

The grandma voice should go and stay gone, but the answer is Axl going to a vocal coach and learning his way around his current ability. If he starts singing low more often, then he'll be fucking bon Jovi and that's a great example of how it sounds when a singer who sings high suddenly changes into their "natural voice", and we can all agree BJ  sound awful now, even with the background singers singing the high notes. Best I've seen it done is Aerosmith who hired a keyboard player with a similar tone to Stevens voice.

Songs that don't require either his raspy highs or his grandma voice wouldn't require much rearranging. I don't mean go all acoustic or anything like that, but he Mickey's so many parts of songs that were quite literally sang in his natural voice on the album and it's puzzling.

Look at how he approached November Rain in 2002 where it didn't sound like Mickey/Grandma at all but still sounded like the song. Live and Let Die, the bulk of Estranged, Used To Love Her, and so forth are all songs that would sound far better in his natural register than whatever it is he is currently doing on those tracks. There's no shame in dropping a high note here or there if it helps preserve his voice in the grand scheme of things. I didn't mean to imply that they should do all these as acoustic arrangements or Bon Jovi fake outs, but rather Axl just needs to change his approach.

Save the rasp and piercing highs for the songs that count, choose some other songs that work in his natural voice, and then we'd have a tighter sounding set. Pretty Tied Up was an inspired choice and sounded great in the soundcheck clip for that very reason. Plus the backing vocals in the chorus can help beef up the Mickey if he slips into it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Songs that don't require either his raspy highs or his grandma voice wouldn't require much rearranging. I don't mean go all acoustic or anything like that, but he Mickey's so many parts of songs that were quite literally sang in his natural voice on the album and it's puzzling.

Look at how he approached November Rain in 2002 where it didn't sound like Mickey/Grandma at all but still sounded like the song. Live and Let Die, the bulk of Estranged, Used To Love Her, and so forth are all songs that would sound far better in his natural register than whatever it is he is currently doing on those tracks. There's no shame in dropping a high note here or there if it helps preserve his voice in the grand scheme of things. I didn't mean to imply that they should do all these as acoustic arrangements or Bon Jovi fake outs, but rather Axl just needs to change his approach.

Save the rasp and piercing highs for the songs that count, choose some other songs that work in his natural voice, and then we'd have a tighter sounding set. Pretty Tied Up was an inspired choice and sounded great in the soundcheck clip for that very reason. Plus the backing vocals in the chorus can help beef up the Mickey if he slips into it.

Oh yeah, I agree! 

I think you have to hear it before you know, but some of those would sound good with that don't cry style. I would definitely miss the kick in 'Estranged' when it goes to "I see the storm is getting closer", maybe it would be better though? 

Man, I listened to some of this in the car today and it sounded pretty awesome.. Axl sounded as good as he is gonna get.. And we would be lucky to hear him sound like that again but I doubt it.  Listening without the video did make things like the fast tempo and Franks unfortunate drumming more apparent but when Axl sounds good, it more than compensates for that.. When he isn't good, the whole thing is pretty abysmal..

And as for someone who has only heard the studio version of Sorry once or twice, I think Slash sounds great on it. That is one of the few CD songs I don't mind.. I am not sure I heard it until the Apollo show and and liked it then.

Now that someone has finally taken these things seriously, it would be awesome if they threw in a "Selects Classic" once in awhile. Something from a re-mastered bootleg, the vault or even remastered television appearance would be cool. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Man, I listened to some of this in the car today and it sounded pretty awesome.. Axl sounded as good as he is gonna get.. And we would be lucky to hear him sound like that again but I doubt it.  Listening without the video did make things like the fast tempo and Franks unfortunate drumming more apparent but when Axl sounds good, it more than compensates for that.. When he isn't good, the whole thing is pretty abysmal..

And as for someone who has only heard the studio version of Sorry once or twice, I think Slash sounds great on it. That is one of the few CD songs I don't mind.. I am not sure I heard it until the Apollo show and and liked it then.

Now that someone has finally taken these things seriously, it would be awesome if they threw in a "Selects Classic" once in awhile. Something from a re-mastered bootleg, the vault or even remastered television appearance would be cool. 

I think that particular version is awesome too. The whole band sound ‘on it’ and absolutely one of the highlights of that gig.

I thought Axl looked and sounded fantastic. The band were great. You’re a serious nit-picking wanker if you have to look for the bad in this latest release. Just enjoy one of the all-time great rock voices and rock guitarist as they are still going and giving their performances for all to see. 

On 4/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, Tom2112 said:

Yea, I wouldn't want them to rearrange every song... there's plenty of stuff they could simply replace :P

I agree that Axl would have to go to a vocal coach and re-learn the songs for any real difference to happen. I still think they could do a full 2+ hour show considering Axl's current abilities, but I'm probably in the minority of people who would rather hear a good performance of Bad Obsession or Down On The Farm, than a bad performance of YCBM or Rocket Queen...

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 5:05 PM, Tom2112 said:

Oh yeah, I agree! 

I think you have to hear it before you know, but some of those would sound good with that don't cry style. I would definitely miss the kick in 'Estranged' when it goes to "I see the storm is getting closer", maybe it would be better though? 

I think he could still bring it for that part and let it rip. It's the first half of the song that he seems to Mickey for no real reason. The opening lines are the biggest crime! Likewise with Live And Let Die. Why he slips into Mickey for the intro is beyond me. It's not like those are notes out of his natural register.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 1:34 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I really like Slash's take on this Sorry and of course I prefer him over Buckedhead on guitar, but I have to admit that Buckethead's original solo is even greater and it's one of the view wow-moments on CD for me.