NITL live videos on youtube

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

He sounded decent for the most part. Nightrain and Sorry were a bit wobbly... overall he was still trying, and in parts he sounded great. But you can hear the 2017 sound here too. I knew a pro shot of this year wouldn't be as good as the hype. Maybe some shows, but the year as with all years where guns are on tour has its ups and downs vocally. This was still good, but not great. 

Mix was no better and no worse. I guess it's a miracle to get this stuff so I guess you just have to suck it up😅 crowd shot or two would have been icing on the cake.

One thing I thought was that Nightrain is too fast for that point in the set. Maybe 3 songs in Axl is fit for that pace? But by there (and a lot of other shows) at this show he was gassed and the vocal dip was noticeable, 2nd verse he had zero air and couldn't even project enough for the mic to elevate to even be level with the band in the mux, nevermind where it should be *front and centre and clear* they need to put a (another) compressor to even him out on some of these dips.

Outro of RQ was seminal... this is the way!

Overall grand, I enjoyed over half of it. 

Come on man, we all know Axl doesn't sound like in the 90s anymore but that's the best you can get from this line up. On most other Selects he sounds like a bad parody of his former self. This one is really good imo... I mean really really good compared to the 2018 and 2019 legs of the tour.

I enjoyed this one.

Slash on fire as always. These songs just need a true rock n roll guitar rather than the virtouoso-esque guitar playing by Bumble or Bucket. After 35 years Axl (in good shape) and Slash are still an untouchable combo in music history. It only needed a good recording to prove that. 

Buckethead did an amazing job on Sorry though, I have to give him that, but this Slash performance was excellent too. Way better than I expected him to sound like, based on the live streams and the bad sellphone recordings we heard so far.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

This was a pleasant surprise. If only the Selects the entire time had lived up to this quality here then I think we would have seen far less complaints. It also shows how ridiculously easy it is to please the fans and let the negativity dissipate slightly by putting out something actually decent.

Much better versions of ISE and RQ than we had previously. RQ was pretty listenable overall thanks to a pretty decent outro from Axl and I thought the jam in the middle seemed to drag less than usual. Tasty licks from both sides.

Nightrain saw his voice on the verge of total break-up but he held it together. Kind of reminded me of those voice losses from 1991 with the out of control rasp. Also fun to see them having a blast in the rain unlike a certain other concert from 2011 when the rains hit!

Jungle was really tight. There are probably better versions from earlier in 2016 but nothing to complain about. Just your average Jungle from the 2016 tour, and that's a good thing.

I wish Axl would just sing all of UTLH in his low register and forget the highs if he's going to slip into Mickey, but not bad. Slash's solos have been better. A somewhat lifeless version and the weakest of the songs in this set.

Sorry was a pleasant surprise. Some of Slash's better solos where I feel he hit the mark on the improv. Good stuff!

But yeah overall, pretty darn good. Even the stuff I criticized is more just nitpicking than anything. The overall package this time was good. Audio, angles, song selection, and 2016.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Come on man, we all know Axl doesn't sound like in the 90s anymore but that's the best you can get from this line up. On most other Selects he sounds like a bad parody of his former self. This one is really good imo... I mean really really good compared to the 2018 and 2019 legs of the tour.

I enjoyed this one.

Slash on fire as always. These songs just need a true rock n roll guitar rather than the virtouoso-esque guitar playing by Bumble or Bucket. After 35 years Axl (in good shape) and Slash are still an untouchable combo in music history. It only needed a good recording to prove that. 

Buckethead did an amazing job on Sorry though, I have to give him that, but this Slash performance was excellent too. Way better than I expected him to sound like, based on the live streams and the bad sellphone recordings we heard so far.

I enjoyed it too, I just thought some things were excellent & some things were really shakey. I would never expect him to sound like the 90s (I'd prefer 06 anyway😉) and I wouldn't expect 06 either! Time marches on yada, yada and his voice will adapt (or not) accordingly. It is good and in comparison to what came after this, it's next level stuff, not arguing otherwise! But...if you compare RQ and Jungle from a closer comparison piece AFDdemocracy (which was slated here), he doesn't sound half as good in 2016... 4yrs is not a long time!

Jungle sounded great all the way through, ISE great, RQ the outro was  really great (although Richard at 26:10🤣🤣) Sorry was reasonable but one of the less good versions they did, although Slash played a nice solo... the doodling during the verse was bit much though. UTLH was surprisingly enjoyable too!

Nightrain was the weak link and it's normally pretty good (even the later years). T'was ok in spots but from verse 2 "I got one chance left" on he was gassed... I think that it's fair to say it sounded rough. He did finally show up after the first solo section though, thankfully. The other selects version of Nightrain was much stronger IMO, and he had adapted the verses with a new style to suit his current ability.

End of the day this is one live show, so it's totally fair that he might shit the bed in a spot or two! I have reasonable expectations of the near 60yr old Axl. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I enjoyed it too, I just thought some things were excellent & some things were really shakey. I would never expect him to sound like the 90s (I'd prefer 06 anyway😉) and I wouldn't expect 06 either! Time marches on yada, yada and his voice will adapt (or not) accordingly. It is good and in comparison to what came after this, it's next level stuff, not arguing otherwise! But...if you compare RQ and Jungle from a closer comparison piece AFDdemocracy (which was slated here), he doesn't sound half as good in 2016... 4yrs is not a long time!

Jungle sounded great all the way through, ISE great, RQ the outro was  really great (although Richard at 26:10🤣🤣) Sorry was reasonable but one of the less good versions they did, although Slash played a nice solo... the doodling during the verse was bit much though. UTLH was surprisingly enjoyable too!

Nightrain was the weak link and it's normally pretty good (even the later years). T'was ok in spots but from verse 2 "I got one chance left" on he was gassed... I think that it's fair to say it sounded rough. He did finally show up after the first solo section though, thankfully. The other selects version of Nightrain was much stronger IMO, and he had adapted the verses with a new style to suit his current ability.

End of the day this is one live show, so it's totally fair that he might shit the bed in a spot or two! I have reasonable expectations of the near 60yr old Axl. 

We don't really disagree here. Not saying Axl sounded perfect. Even at the beginning of the RQ outro he's struggling with his clean voice.

It's more like, we are on a point where we criticize them a lot. Kinda for everything. I mean, yeah, it's what they asked for after so many years of misleading this great band, but I feel like, if something's that good, we shouldn't point out every little mistake but appreciate one of the very few situations where they gave us something to enjoy, something that's even great, at least partly.

On Nightrain... maybe it was one of the weaker ones during the verses but both, Axl and Slash, nailed the most important part of the song. From the first solo on through to the end, that's what makes this song so special, that's greatness IMO. 

Maybe I'm way to easy to please but there will be enough opportunities to criticize them for future actions... and future missing actions ;)

Edited by Free Bird

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The shots at 34:40 is obviously from another show because within seconds Duff has taken off his leather jacket and put on a caps and seconds later he has put the leather jacket on again -- all while outroing Nightrain.

:lol::lol:

Didn't notice that before.

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He sounded decent for the most part. Nightrain and Sorry were a bit wobbly... overall he was still trying, and in parts he sounded great. But you can hear the 2017 sound here too. I knew a pro shot of this year wouldn't be as good as the hype. Maybe some shows, but the year as with all years where guns are on tour has its ups and downs vocally. This was still good, but not great. 

Mix was no better and no worse. I guess it's a miracle to get this stuff so I guess you just have to suck it up😅 crowd shot or two would have been icing on the cake.

One thing I thought was that Nightrain is too fast for that point in the set. Maybe 3 songs in Axl is fit for that pace? But by there (and a lot of other shows) at this show he was gassed and the vocal dip was noticeable, 2nd verse he had zero air and couldn't even project enough for the mic to elevate to even be level with the band in the mux, nevermind where it should be *front and centre and clear* they need to put a (another) compressor to even him out on some of these dips.

Outro of RQ was seminal... this is the way!

Overall grand, I enjoyed over half of it. 

The footage of Houston (July/August?) and the bootlegs of gigs around that time show THAT is where the band were fully firing on cylinders. If we were to get a pro-shot from those months we would all be extremely happy.

• Like 1

This selection was such a gem compared to the other selects.  They really had it going on in 2016 then.  Axl is more confident, moves less dad like and they are enjoying themselves and each other.  Oh and I know this may be irelevant to some but Axl has a bit of his sexiness back!

As a newish fan I have not attended a concert and was not going to bother going to next years shows but now, after seeing this, I may well change my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

this welcome to the jungle is the perfect exemple of how to adapt a song to axl's current vocal capability. He is changing from high driven voice to a mid range similar to what he uses in chinese democracy.

That video is from 2016, Axls current vocal capability is nowhere near his vocal capability in this video, or at least from 2018 onwards it wasn’t 

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

That video is from 2016, Axls current vocal capability is nowhere near his vocal capability in this video, or at least from 2018 onwards it wasn’t 

he sang welcome to the jungle just like that in 2011 for exemple and then sounded bad for while, his stage performance does not always express his vocal capabilities

An obvious off-night for Axl, but overall good, I mean sort of 2016 good. Or as someone said, the 2017 is already there. Nightrain has been generally ruined with the over-accelerated tempo. Sorry has nothing to offer if not done with rasp, but Slash is always there to save the show…

Otherwise, I don’t really know what to say. Thanks for another bit after 5 years, instead of a DVD that we should have gotten years ago? I’m definitely grateful for a 2016 footage, but overall, it still sucks. The quality, the mix, everything. However, this has been the GN’R standard for years, so I guess I should already be used to it and quit complaining. Disgruntled bastards we are, huh. 

Maybe I’m too jaded. 
I just can’t stop thinking about other bands’ standards…
So thanks, I guess. This is as good as it gets. 

Nobody owes you not one goddamn thing etc. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3

Really enjoyed this Brasilia one! I dont know why but I got quite emotional watching Rocket Queen outro.. Axl makes or breaks it with this lineup. Its so powerfull and great when he is on fire! 2016 was a great year.. super hyped and positive that reunion happened and got to see AxlDc that year in May. Amazing. Thanks Fernando for putting this out.

54 minutes ago, jamillos said:

An obvious off-night for Axl, but overall good, I mean sort of 2016 good. Or as someone said, the 2017 is already there. Nightrain has been generally ruined with the over-accelerated tempo. Sorry has nothing to offer if not done with rasp, but Slash is always there to save the show…

Otherwise, I don’t really know what to say. Thanks for another bit after 5 years, instead of a DVD that we should have gotten years ago? I’m definitely grateful for a 2016 footage, but overall, it still sucks. The quality, the mix, everything. However, this has been the GN’R standard for years, so I guess I should already be used to it and quit complaining. Disgruntled bastards we are, huh. 

Maybe I’m too jaded. 
I just can’t stop thinking about other bands’ standards…
So thanks, I guess. This is as good as it gets. 

Nobody owes you not one goddamn thing etc. 

Thanks. The video is cool and all, but I'm not gonna praise "management" for throwing us half of a cold pizza instead of giving us something real. Just release a goddamn full show. How hard can it be?

If anything, this videos proves how lazy fernandont is. Coming up with a few more songs within months. Wow. What have you been doing the rest of the year?

• Like 4