Unpopular GNR confessions

1 minute ago, daile1bm said:

I can't say I disagree.

Didn't he say it's partly because he gets a dry signal mix in his in-ear monitors now, so he can't hear how his effects are shaping the sound? So now that he doesn't have the benefit of hearing the feedback/FX/etc, he noodles more to compensate or something?

Did he say that? Because I assume this would be a really easy thing to fix. 

I don't mind that there is no new music or that it takes years (or decades) in between album releases. I'd rather listen to something the artist thinks is ready to be released and they don't owe the fans anything. I just enjoy what we've already been given and I'm thankful they're still alive and touring which gives me a chance to see them live. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BellaRogers said:

I don't mind that there is no new music or that it takes years (or decades) in between album releases. I'd rather listen to something the artist thinks is ready to be released and they don't owe the fans anything. I just enjoy what we've already been given and I'm thankful they're still alive and touring which gives me a chance to see them live. 

Getting the 'they don't owe the fans anything' cliche in on the very first post you ever made....good work! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BellaRogers said:

Well that's why I chose an "unpopular opinions" thread to say it in. 

It just usually takes brand new posters a while to warm up and get into the old ' they don't owe fans anything', 'just grateful they're all still alive', 'enjoy what we've already been given' and 'thankful I get to see them live' territory. 

Unusual to see it as a very first post! 

Edited by allwaystired

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It just usually takes brand new posters a while to warm up and get into the old ' they don't owe fans anything', 'just grateful they're all still alive', 'enjoy what we've already been given' and 'thankful I get to see them live' territory. 

Unusual to see it as a very first post! 

Been lurking a while. Don't post because I don't think I know as much as other posters about certain topics and I'll be dismissed for being new. 

My teenage heroes were Karen Carpenter and David Bowie but Karen died before I was born and Bowie had a heart attack just after I "discovered" him and never toured again. The fact that I can (well could - before lockdowns etc) still go and see GnR actually makes me happy... which from what I've read on here so far, probably puts me in a minority in this forum! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BellaRogers said:

Been lurking a while. Don't post because I don't think I know as much as other posters about certain topics and I'll be dismissed for being new. 

My teenage heroes were Karen Carpenter and David Bowie but Karen died before I was born and Bowie had a heart attack just after I "discovered" him and never toured again. The fact that I can (well could - before lockdowns etc) still go and see GnR actually makes me happy... which from what I've read on here so far, probably puts me in a minority in this forum! 

I think that's a bit of a misconception really- most people here love the idea of going to see the band I think.....but they've seen the show now, in some cases, many times, and given the lack of variety and very high prices are naturally not very interested any more. It wouldn't take much at all to rekindle their interest.,.....but whether that little bit that's needed will happen, I've no idea! 

Don't worry about not knowing much! Just get involved if you want to. It's actually really friendly here- just don't be too thin skinned, as there's a lot of piss-taking and heated discussions! Ask any questions you have though- people always know about stuff, and I'm always learning new things here. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BellaRogers said:

Welcome to the forum!

It’s a regret for me that I never seen Bowie live, a truly phenomenal artist that’s body of work will be spoken about for generations to come. Mick Ronson was a big inspiration for me to pick up a 6 string.

Don’t ever shy away or feel reluctant to post your thoughts or opinions. No opinion will be as ridiculous as the fact that we’re all on this forum discussing a group of musicians, namely one, who doesn’t release music 😂😂😂

You’ve picked a good time to dive in, there is a lot of distress among the community regarding new music, but all signs point to something happening, so it’s a waiting game, some of us being seasoned veterans at that when it comes to this band! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daile1bm said:

I can't say I disagree.?

Didn't he say it's partly because he gets a dry signal mix in his in-ear monitors now, so he can't hear how his effects are shaping the sound? So now that he doesn't have the benefit of hearing the feedback/FX/etc, he noodles more to compensate or something?

Where did he say that, do you remember?

That seems crazy to me -- not be hearing exactly what you're playing. Is that the norm for playing on stage as a professional guitarist?

My pet theory about the noodling was after quitting all his vices his baseline trait anxiety went up. That he couldn't sort of marinate in the moment as comfortably anymore without something to take the edge off. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ant said:

Where did he say that, do you remember?

That seems crazy to me -- not be hearing exactly what you're playing. Is that the norm for playing on stage as a professional guitarist?

My pet theory about the noodling was after quitting all his vices his baseline trait anxiety went up. That he couldn't sort of marinate in the moment as comfortably anymore without something to take the edge off. 

Found it!

@EricA posted this article https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

Thread:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Axl pretty much is to blame for the majority of bad shit to happen to GN'R, not that a lot of fans of would deny anything like that. But, frankly if Axl didn't have the rights signed over to him, for the name, in the '90s and the band dissolved in 1996, the future probably would've been a lot brighter for GN'R.

I think that Axl would've had a much much better opportunity to release CD as a solo record--a true solo record. With the Guns name attached to it, the village sessions and experimental second album were pretty much never going to get off the ground the way Axl wanted. Hell if everyone else got a record out, no problem, why couldn't Axl? Because he still had GN'R as the brand. The expectations were always going to be too high with the name. Gilby, Izzy, Duff, Slash, Snakepit, VR, all put out records before CD. The studio probably kept pushing for CD to get rushed out around the mid 2000's to try and speed the process up for a reunion, once they realized it wasn't going to happen early on. 

The 2008 release definitely isn't what Axl had envisioned, that died in the late '90s. We got a late reunion, after 2 disastrous GN'R tours, Axl had blown his voice out and not taken care of himself, not consistently trying to preserve or get better as a singer. 

This isn't a bad thing.. it's his life, I hope he's found happiness. But really everything would've been better if Axl had his shit together, and maybe if they had a competent management group

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

Here are some unpopular opinions:

1: robin finck should have never left the band, they sounded a lot better with him.

2: sweet child is overrated (I'm not saying it sucks, it's just overrated). I wouldn't put it on my afd top5, let alone considering the whole catalog

3: the 2014 tour was really fun

4: I don't think the band as it is right now is capable of doing a true, good sounding record, relevant in any level. All I can imagine them coming up with by themselves is a bunch of cliche sounding songs

And finally:

I think @Voodoochildwould be an amazing addition to the band, since he can play the gnr songs better than slash can do it nowadays. ♥️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but it seems so bizarre to me to hear something radically different to what your audience is experiencing... speaking as a hack guitarist. Maybe that's why he has shifted to less gain in his recording, though. Like he was feeling some of his newfound nuance and attention to detail lost in the mud (even though he has always been zeroed in on tasteful with his distortion levels IMO).

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jonah said:

Slash is butchering pretty much every solo. Doesn’t matter if he wrote it or not. Ex. ISE was my favourite solo and his noodling of it now ruins it for me

It is weird how he seems to be doing that these days. He's no shredder. Wondered if it's almost a case of competition with 4Tus who's fairly competent at really fast, technical stuff.

Wish he'd just play to his strengths.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, WhazUp said:

I honestly don't know if this will be a popular or unpopular opinion but I know it will be divisive so I will say it here - I think Oh My God is the best nuGNR era song and beats pretty much every track on the actual CD album

Axl's voice is nice and angry sounding, there is an aggression to the song that rocks so much harder than the rockers on CD, and the lyrics are ace

I agree. And don't know why OMG wasn't included in the album. Cds are 80 minutes length and Chin Dem is 71. There is space to include the song. And it fits with the style of the album

7 minutes ago, Atlas19 said:

I agree. And don't know why OMG wasn't included in the album. Cds are 80 minutes length and Chin Dem is 71. There is space to include the song. And it fits with the style of the album

I recall Bumble mentioning about trying to squeeze Atlas on there but there wasn't enough space to fit the full thing in - interesting if that's the case of CD's having 80 mins of run time, as the leaks are all under 5 min in length. 

17 minutes ago, Dean said:

I recall Bumble mentioning about trying to squeeze Atlas on there but there wasn't enough space to fit the full thing in - interesting if that's the case of CD's having 80 mins of run time, as the leaks are all under 5 min in length. 

Yeah, both Illusions are 75 / 76 running time. And Greatest Hits (not the 2020 vinyl version, but the cd version) is 79

- the 2002 lineup was as good as the classic lineup

- the best GNR song is Breakdown

- Slash is overrated

- Axl is underrated

- November Rain is boring as fuck, the only good part is the coda

- both UYI II and Chinese Democracy are better than AFD

- their best album is UYI II

Now please don't ban me. :lol:

• Like 1

I like the OMG 1999 better than the Buckethead version, both live in 2001 and that BBF demo. I really think Dave Navarro's solo is kinda cool (I'm learning it right now).

16 hours ago, Pinball Wizard said:

And finally:

I think @Voodoochildwould be an amazing addition to the band, since he can play the gnr songs better than slash can do it nowadays. ♥️

Hahaha I would be playing in that same throne Axl used, my back wouldn't last for more than 20 min standing up. :laugh:

• Haha 1