Holy Grail

11 hours ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Better received vocals in 2002/2003 and was written by Finck around 2001. Beaven left the team in early 2000.

ah i see.

I shall rephrase: whoever mixed the 2006 Better leak but in better quality

Just now, Mendez said:

ah i see.

I shall rephrase: the 2006 Better leak but in better quality

3 hours ago, Mendez said:

ah i see.

I shall rephrase: whoever mixed the 2006 Better leak but in better quality

Don't believe everything you read here. I'm not aware of any evidence regarding Better vocals being recorded in 02/03. In fact, it doesn't sound like 2002 Axl at all...

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Was it though? Sure I can hear it played on a few songs? But always felt it was more a gimmick than anything else. Especially on non-CD songs. I'm not sure there is any requirement for a fretless guitar on KOHD, November Rain.

As an aside, they are hellish hard to play! So fair play to him for managing it. I once sat in with a band on bass at last minute and the only bass immediately available was a fretless. Sweet mother of Jesus, that was a baptism I wish to forget!

Shacklers, Chinese are two off the top of my head that involve switches mid song from fretted to fretless. 

He never played the fretless on Heavens door or November Rain. He did use it on some songs like Night train and RQ and for the most part it added to the sound. Some people won't like it but I thought he recreated a lot of cool sounds from the records that you just can't do as well with a fretted guitar in a live situation. 

But 100% they are incredibly difficult to do even the most basic things. I would have turned around and left if I saw a fretless waiting for me... I'm sure I'd get some sounds out of it, but that just sounds like a bad time😄

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Shacklers, Chinese are two off the top of my head that involve switches mid song from fretted to fretless. 

He never played the fretless on Heavens door or November Rain. He did use it on some songs like Night train and RQ and for the most part it added to the sound. Some people won't like it but I thought he recreated a lot of cool sounds from the records that you just can't do as well with a fretted guitar in a live situation. 

But 100% they are incredibly difficult to do even the most basic things. I would have turned around and left if I saw a fretless waiting for me... I'm sure I'd get some sounds out of it, but that just sounds like a bad time😄

Haha! Thankfully I had played double bass a few times before and dicked about on the cello. So it wasn't totally new to me. But having had a few beers, the first song or sox were a bit ropey! It wasn't the Jack Bruce masterclass I hoped for, put it that way!!! 😃😃😃

59 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Bumblefoot talking about playing fretless live in Guns N' Roses, including added bits to old songs: (44) 2012.01.20 - Music Radar - Interview with Bumblefoot at NAMM (a-4-d.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Bumblefoot talking about playing fretless live in Guns N' Roses, including added bits to old songs: (44) 2012.01.20 - Music Radar - Interview with Bumblefoot at NAMM (a-4-d.com)

Cheers for sharing that. I've never been sold on fretless bass or guitar and as well as he plays it... it's still a no from me! They are weird to play but fun. For half an hour or so.

• Like 1

The holy grail for me would be one original song that they wrote from scratch after 2016. Just one. They're never going to create an album again, but write one original song and I'll be satisfied.

Won't ever happen because pasting songs together with godawful production is clearly the way to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darkside259 said:

my holy grail would be a blue ray 4 k footage of  ritz 91 and other concerts, AND A 2006 CONCERT IN 4 K THAT WOULD BE LEGENDARY 

You're likely to get the Ritz in 91 in 4K than 2006 since the 91 concert was shot on film. Most you'll get from 2006 is maybe 1080p if one of the festivals they did was filmed, I highly doubt anything from 2006 was shot on film and if it was it would be a source from outside the band.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mystery said:

You're likely to get the Ritz in 91 in 4K than 2006 since the 91 concert was shot on film. Most you'll get from 2006 is maybe 1080p if one of the festivals they did was filmed, I highly doubt anything from 2006 was shot on film and if it was it would be a source from outside the band.

i think there is material bc they filmed the BETTER videoclip, so they had plenty of material, there is some online 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jamillos said:

Don't believe everything you read here. I'm not aware of any evidence regarding Better vocals being recorded in 02/03. In fact, it doesn't sound like 2002 Axl at all...

i was more referring to Sean Beaven leaving before 2001,

I never put much creedence into peoples guesses about vocals

2 hours ago, darkside259 said:

i think there is material bc they filmed the BETTER videoclip, so they had plenty of material, there is some online 

Yeah you're right. It's baffling that they didn't release it at the time and I can see them getting good footage from it. 

• Like 1

Tough question. 

First thing that pops to mind bar a few proshot shows would be the re-recorded Appetite. 

I'd love to hear thst properly, obviously AFD is it's own beast and have no interest in it being replaced or anything. But hearing that recorded 'version' would be mine, even more unlikely anyone will hear it now that Duff n' Slash are back. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind a boxset of proshot videos from the four Hammerstein shows I went to in 2006, or the MSG show in 2002, or a 47-cd box of Chinese sessions, or, maybe, the re-recorded AFD.

As for the "old" band?  Dunno, really.  How 'bout an official release of Inglewood '91, or a proper, official UYI tour doc?  Maybe a taste of what they were working on from '94-'96.

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

As for the "old" band?  Dunno, really.  How 'bout an official release of Inglewood '91, or a proper, official UYI tour doc?  Maybe a taste of what they were working on from '94-'96.

Some classic gigs from yesteryear would be cool. Though on the proviso that Bucket replaced Slash's parts. Obviously. It would be great if they also managed to put sneak Bucket on the upcoming UYI boxset too. Even though he had nothing to do with it. I believe this will happen. 🤣😁😆😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Some classic gigs from yesteryear would be cool. Though on the proviso that Bucket replaced Slash's parts. Obviously. It would be great if they also managed to put sneak Bucket on the upcoming UYI boxset too. Even though he had nothing to do with it. I believe this will happen. 🤣😁😆😂

To be fair to our mutual friend, I do absolutely love Buckethead, as well, though, obviously not as much as they do.