2023 WORLD TOUR

I’m actually bummed that I’m getting the Pretenders in Hershey. Granted, they’re legends, but still. 

I’d seriously rather have gotten Carrie Underwood. I just saw her a few months ago, and her show honestly is more of a rock show than country at this point. 

Hell, she even does a pretty killer drum solo here:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, K00b4 said:

Man, I really wish they released the rehearsal material as a long YT video.

It all seems proffesionally filmed, so why not?

I guess it all ends on wishes and dreams tho..

Well im hoping Angelina Jolie will one day realise she’s in love with me. 

The new PNC park Pittsburgh show isn’t selling much at all. Granted they just went on sale, a few hours ago, but most of the time that’s when the biggest chunk of sales are. Like someone said earlier, what’s the thought process behind this? I kinda thought since they haven’t been to pittsburgh since 2016, this show would do well. 

On 5/30/2023 at 6:23 AM, SoulMonster said:

We are not talking about "this bizarro world", we are talking about United Arab Emirates. UAE would argue that the "acceptable level of gay" is zero. I would argue that you can easily travel there as a gay tourist, but if you would prefer to avoid unpleasantness, you ought to not flaunt being gay while being there.

Only while travelling in countries where homosexuality is a capital crime :lol:

Why are you trying to make this into me being against "gay flaunting" in general? I am OBVIOUSLY talking about travel advice when travelling to countries that have death sentence for homosexuality. Would you recommend gay people to travel there and openly advocate their sexuality? Is that your advice to gays? :lol: Come on now, @allwaystired, would you recommend gay people to travel to Dubai and flaunt being gay? Or do you agree that would be a bad decision?

Arab Emirates built football stadiums with slave labor, it's definitely a place I never want to visit

4 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Ethically speaking, the UAE are a place I'd want to stay away from.

I think this is an interesting opinion. My knee-jerk stance would also be, "If a country is shitty, I don't want to go there", as if I think me travelling there somehow validates whatever messed up thing they do, like it is an "okay" to the regime to continue being terrible. But is it? Or could me travelling there actually help nudge the country forward in the right direction? This goes back to my posts from before, I simple don't believe that disengagement and exclusion will help, but that tourism, sports, cultural exchange, etc, will become a force that can help a country move in the right direction because it can inspire citizens into demanding reforms. Plus, it leaves quite a bit of money in the hands of the poor, like from taxis, tipping, restaurants, guides, etc. Don't get me wrong, I get the emotional reaction that we want to stay away from something that is bad, that is my immediate reaction too, but when I think about it, I just don't think it works that way. IT might help us feel better to take such an absolutist stance, but as far as actually making a difference, I only think it makes things worse.

Take Iran as an example again, a country I have travelled quite a bit in. All the talks I had with locals, all the discussions, all the tea drinking and engagements, friends I made, surely must have had some effect, it definitely did on me. At the very least, they got to hear opinions from abroad and get a feeling they weren't left alone to fight their regime, I at least provided some moral support. Because Iran is a country that has truly been left alone through our sanctions and it certainly hasn't helped the citizens rise up. It has only strengthened the regime's grip on the citizens because they can now rally everybody against the entire outside world being against them.  It has certainly affected my views on Iran which has helped me become a staunch opponent to broad sanctions that has been levied at that country, and I hope it was, certainly in a miniscule way, of help to those I met too-

Again, it is through interactions we can make a difference and learn, both ways. Erosion of surfaces where we can interact will only solidify the status quo.

Then onto a quite different perspective which isn't really related to the above: If I were to avoid shitty countries, where could I go? What country can throw the first stone here? USA with its foreign policies and spying efforts and abortion laws, structural racism, CIA operations, invasion of Iraq, etc? Israel with its apartheid regime? We might not all be shitty right now, but we have all our dark history, whether it is racism, colonialism, discrimination and so on. This line of thought reminded me of France demanding reparations from Haiti after it liberated itself from being a French colony, reparations of such a magnitude that it locked the country poverty which it still hasn't escaped (!). Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to argue that UAE (or Qatar, or Saudi Arabia) don't have absolutely barbaric laws and practises and on many accounts are much worse than Western countries today (especially in terms of human rights, freedom to speech, etc), I just sense a certain "us vs them" that gives me a bad taste in my mouth when I think of our own sordid history and how much fucked up things we still do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

Qatar too, but I was talking specifically about the United Arab Emirates, they have been known for slave labor for decades.

Sure, but you mentioned football stadium which was kind of the big topic during the FIFA World Cup in Qatar. As far as I know, UAE is not known for their football stadiums. Regardless, your point is still valid, UAE and Qatar have similar problems with poor working contracts to foreign workers. On that note, that isn't that much different to how the USA has treated farmhands from Mexico and other Latin American countries, most of them working illegally in the USA with little protection, ridiculous salaries, and even child labor. Again, not wanting to excuse Arab countries for their flaws, I just feel such discussions require some relativism because I often get the feeling that people think their shit doesn't smell.

Of course we should try to affect Qatar and UAE into providing more humane contracts to foreign workers. That's a given. But I don't see how us not going there will work to that effect. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:03 AM, DoMw94 said:

We can stop worrying about attendance. It hasn't got as bad as Kiss, who are shifting Newcastle tickets for £2.75 and Birmingham tickets for £4.95 😂

Whaaat where you see this? I paid £100 for Manchester a couple weeks ago ffs

Awesome that AIC and Dirty Honey are opening for the Guns at some shows. It does seem strange that Carrie Underwood is supporting some of those shows, because I'm not sure there are many who enjoy both in the same night. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, opalho said:

Awesome that AIC and Dirty Honey are opening for the Guns at some shows. It does seem strange that Carrie Underwood is supporting some of those shows, because I'm not sure there are many who enjoy both in the same night. 

It's strange that Carrie is opening some shows, but only because she can fill big venues on her own. She's a level above the other openers as far as popularity goes. I wouldn't go see her on her own, but I wouldn't mind seeing her open for GNR.

I kinda wish they had multiple openers at each show though. Alice In Chains are opening the show I'm going to, and they're good, but I've seen them a few times already (3 times opening for GNR in Vegas/Seattle). GNR, AIC and Dirty Honey or The Warning would be a great lineup though.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's strange that Carrie is opening some shows, but only because she can fill big venues on her own. She's a level above the other openers as far as popularity goes. I wouldn't go see her on her own, but I wouldn't mind seeing her open for GNR.

I kinda wish they had multiple openers at each show though. Alice In Chains are opening the show I'm going to, and they're good, but I've seen them a few times already (3 times opening for GNR in Vegas/Seattle). GNR, AIC and Dirty Honey or The Warning would be a great lineup though.

Yeah I agree. I was looking at Reddit and there were quite a few posts criticising the choice of both Carrie and the Pretenders. 

Well honestly I’m thrilled about Carrie. Not a country fan but she can sing for days and I have an appreciation for that. She was on our list to go see, maybe in the fall in Vegas. But now since she’s opening in Nashville we don’t have to go. Can’t believe how lucky we got.

5 hours ago, opalho said:

Yeah I agree. I was looking at Reddit and there were quite a few posts criticising the choice of both Carrie and the Pretenders. 

I don't really know the pretenders very well.  I skimmed their greatest hits since I am seeing them and recognized a few songs.

The openers are all over the place.  The warning is a good band but such a small act compared to AIC or Carrie.

I wish I was getting AIC, seen them many times and they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen.  

• Like 1