“Get ready for something F’n special.. 1.24.24”

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Compare the reactions to The General vs the reactions to Monsters. Or the reactions to the Selects vs the reactions to Ritz 91. When the band gives us something good, the forum is overwhelmingly positive.

Well, the reaction to The Ritz 91 wasn't all positive when it was announced and the YCBM video was released. I remember a few people being certain (or considering it a serious possibility) that the whole blu-ray would be edited like the video (which they also thought was compiled from different shows) :lol:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, the reaction to The Ritz 91 wasn't all positive when it was announced and the YCBM video was released. I remember a few people being certain (or considering it a serious possibility) that the whole blu-ray would be edited like the video (which they also thought was compiled from different shows) :lol:

Yea, I remember that wild 'theory' when YCBM was released lol. But there weren't many people who thought that, and it wasn't confirmed like the AI animation. So, not really the same thing.

Maybe the video will be mostly live shots, which would be nice. But Creative Works posting about it makes me doubt that's the case. I have low expectations but of course I can't really judge the video until I see it.

• Like 2

I'm at work so cant search now but if anyone thinks theres more to it try searching Link.to links for Atlas, General ect & see if it throws up anything new. I doubt it will, this is probably just about the video

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I remember that wild 'theory' when YCBM was released lol. But there weren't many people who thought that, and it wasn't confirmed like the AI animation. So, not really the same thing.

Maybe the video will be mostly live shots, which would be nice. But Creative Works posting about it makes me doubt that's the case. I have low expectations but of course I can't really judge the video until I see it.

My guess is it will be about 50-50 live footage and AI stuff.

7 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I'm at work so cant search now but if anyone thinks theres more to it try searching Link.to links for Atlas, General ect & see if it throws up anything new. I doubt it will, this is probably just about the video

I'm sure it's just the video. It wouldn't make sense to release a music video for a song that came out a while ago and also release a new single without a video (but of course it's GN'R etc.).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was very lukewarm on the UYI anniversary set when it came out, but have since changed my tune. It’s easy to have a “New music or bust” mindset because Axl releases so little, but now that I finally realize there isn’t much left in the vault (and what few songs are out there aren’t really worthy of the hype) and that they aren’t writing anything new, old content is very appealing. 

The two live albums released with the UYI set are phenomenal, and the Ritz 91 Blu-ray is probably the best released proshot show- official or unofficial. More stuff like that would be great. There are so many easy things they could put out without releasing all- new music. Old concerts, a full 2016 show, etc. They have the means, they put out that Wembley 91 CD recently, too. 

It’s a drag that Axl doesn’t put out a lot of content, but I take what I can get and don’t get too pissed off about it, anymore. 2016 was what I really wanted out of the band. The new songs are cool to have, and I’ll happily take more, but it’s easy to see why CD2 never came

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Compare the reactions to The General vs the reactions to Monsters. Or the reactions to the Selects vs the reactions to Ritz 91. When the band gives us something good, the forum is overwhelmingly positive.

Of course the reactions to live proshots of the band in their prime will get better reactions than recent live proshots. That doesn't say anything about the quality of the releases though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

How does the fact that The General "didn't exactly crush it" make the band's decision to release a video somehow worse? That they decide to make a video, even for a song that isn't their best, is a PLUS in my book. I applaud their decision to make music videos, even for their crappiest songs.

And then some general comments to all the whining about AI, not directed at you, @downzy First, from the snippet it seems to be a video of mixed live footage combined with a story generated, at least partially, with the help of AI. The combination of these two things makes it surpass the effort levels of the Perhaps video or the Hard Skool video, immediately. Secondly, the part with AI generated graphics seems to be some fairly complicated story, it isn't just simple stills like in the Hard Skool video, it is actually quite complicated. Thirdly, the fact that it is AI doesn't mean someone has typed in "make a GN'R music video" in some AI generating software, it means that someone has, at least partially, used AI software to create the intended graphics to a script someone has come up with. In short, this is a video with a considerable budget and the effort required surpasses the videos we have seen over the last years (wow, did I just say that about GN'R, "videos we have seen the last years"!?! The band is making videos again!! Wow!)  

I think some of the reactions are from people who think "AI=evil!!! ARRGH" and some that have still not realized the band will never do another video like the UYI trilogy again (and on a personal note, thanks for that! Those were and are cringy).

Probably because it's lazy an garbage.... I don't care if A.I is the future etc.. whatever... it looks like anyone with a computer an flashy technology design skills making a video to go with music. Majority of GNR fans are older an like most other bands, they all make music videos still. Even with live footage like perhaps is okay, but something else original would be more widely received and also shows, the band members actually still give a slight f.ck about their work (this song) 🤔 

I think the main point for some is we'd rather have hands on creative influence from the band members themselves, instead of something that was obviously put together by the mind of a Millennial, aka The Happy Band of Brazilians. 

A.I. is certainly cool and a great visual aide, but I have never ever heard Slash, Duff, or Axl say "A.I. is super cool bro and it's the direction we're going in with our art from here on out.." 

Melissa, on the other hand, has probably said this :D 

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Probably because it's lazy an garbage....

Again, more effort seems to have gone into this than any of their recent videos since it is a combination of live footage (of the same quality as Perhaps, it seems) combined with a story with graphics created with the assistance of AI. So the effort level is the best we have seen from this band since, well, the 90s. If this video deserves this much criticism then I would hate to hear your opinions on the Perhaps video (which ONLY had live footage) or the Shadow Of Your Love video (which only had designed still images). So I don't know where "lazy" comes into it. Maybe because the graphic designers are using AI to help create the graphics? In a sense, that is their decision and more and more graphic designers are using AI as a tool in visualizations. There is nothing more inherently evil or lazy in this than when automatic sewing machines were introduced in England back in the 19th century and the reactions here are positively luddite. 

Garbage? Have you already seen the video? Wow! Please, please, tell Me more about this! :lol: Or is your knee-jerk reaction to anything this band does to whine and complain?...

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I think the main point for some is we'd rather have hands on creative influence from the band members themselves, instead of something that was obviously put together by the mind of a Millennial, aka The Happy Band of Brazilians. 

I have no idea to what extent the band members have been involved or not, and I guess neither have you, but personally I am very happy Axl isn't involved in the way he was back in the 90s which resulted in the cringy Illusion trilogy. MTV came and went. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, more effort seems to have gone into this than any of their recent videos since it is a combination of live footage (of the same quality as Perhaps, it seems) combined with a story with graphics created with the assistance of AI. So the effort level is the best we have seen from this band since, well, the 90s. If this video deserves this much criticism then I would hate to hear your opinions on the Perhaps video (which ONLY had live footage) or the Shadow Of Your Love video (which only had designed still images). So I don't know where "lazy" comes into it. Maybe because the graphic designers are using AI to help create the graphics? In a sense, that is their decision and more and more graphic designers are using AI as a tool in visualizations. There is nothing more inherently evil or lazy in this than when automatic sewing machines were introduced in England back in the 19th century and the reactions here are positively luddite. 

Garbage? Have you already seen the video? Wow! Please, please, tell Me more about this! :lol: Or is your knee-jerk reaction to anything this band does to whine and complain?...

It's garbage... and majority will see it that way.. but it's fine that you wanna praise this brand.. cough.. oops ... I mean ... band.. ;)

Mediocrity is their thing, and the sheep lap it up. No I haven't seen it as it's not out obviously an will I watch it, knowing it's A.i...lazy...garbage...amatuer hour... playstation graphics looking cool an hip in 2024... naaa I'll pass thanks... these guys sounded good in the 90s an made great vids then. These guys are in their 60s an trying to look cool an trendy to the 20 year old fans, not the core fan base. 

And that's cool, enjoy ya sesame Street music video when it comes out tho 🤣👍

Hey... maybe it might even make the song less sh1ttier too 🤔 👍

I'll wait in the shadows until they decide to release monsters 🔥😈🎤👌

1 minute ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

It's garbage... and majority will see it that way..

On this we agree, I am sure the majority will whine and complain when it comes out, too. 

As for whether it is garbage, I will wait with my conclusion until I have actually seen it, and not just let emotions run away with me because AI has been used :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have no idea to what extent the band members have been involved or not, and I guess neither have you, but personally I am very happy Axl isn't involved in the way he was back in the 90s which resulted in the cringy Illusion trilogy. MTV came and went. 

An this proves u know nothing lol... 

Illusion trilogy "cringey"... 🤣🤣🤣

I think the sales of them albums, rotation of videos they got played on Mtv, views on youtube/reaction vids people do.. tell a different story mate.

You're basically saying

the general > November rain

All from a snippet of video....

Yea I'm sure GNR will live on years to come an be known for that video instead of NR, DC and ESTRANGED.... 🤣🤦

CMON DUDE...

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

On this we agree, I am sure the majority will whine and complain when it comes out, too. 

As for whether it is garbage, I will wait with my conclusion until I have actually seen it, and not just let emotions run away with me because AI has been used :lol:

I guess I'll agree to disagree... 

Them 90s vids, as with their others, were great an it helps when the (song it goes with is good)

In this case, general is garbage and A.I or not much, (or none) ain't gonna fix this issue.. 

Now let's talk ideas for the monsters music vid?...

The band all dress up each as a Hollywood movie monster character and perform like a "jazz hands" David Lee Roth style routine.. under strobe lights in the dark complete with smoke machine, stage left??

Thoughts? 🤔🤷🔥

1 minute ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

An this proves u know nothing lol... 

Illusion trilogy "cringey"... 🤣🤣🤣

I think the sales of them albums, rotation of videos they got played on Mtv, views on youtube/reaction vids people do.. tell a different story mate.

You're basically saying

the general > November rain

All from a snippet of video....

Yea I'm sure GNR will live on years to come an be known for that video instead of NR, DC and ESTRANGED.... 🤣🤦

CMON DUDE...

Oh, I definitely prefer the music video to The General to the music video to November Rain. I get that they served a purpose back in the 90s when you had MTV and the band was on top of the world and I don't deny the commercial success of those videos and what it did to cement the legacy of the band. Still, I personally puke a little whenever I inadvertently catch a bit of them. But that's just my personal feelings on them.  I am very much aligned with Slash when it comes to his opinions on music videos. I wasn't even digging them when they came out in the 90s. It was all just Axl's megalomanic ego trip of confusing visuals. But more power to you if you like them - that's great :) 

As for whether I have already now concluded that the music video to The General is better than the music video to November Rain? No I haven't. But they will be hard pressed to make a music video that I will find any worse than the video to November Rain. Again, that's my personal opinion. To me, the music video to November Rain makes absolutely no sense story-wise, it cost a tremendous amount of money, it was a pure Axl ego trip with no one else in the band wanting it or even understanding it. It has racked up a huge amount of plays on Youtube because it is a popular song but I doubt many people watch it because of its riveting story. If people watch it without the sound on, which would indicate the video has some inherent value, it must be because they are high on some very psychedelic drugs or in love with Axl. I would suspect any young people watching it would go, "WTF is this weird shit?" To all timers like me it might have some weird sentimental/nostalgic value. But I just see through it without the burden of any of that and it is an incredible expensive collection of cringy scenes making a muddled mess of a story all coming out of the shared minds of Del James and Axl Rose.

I don't care whether the band "live on years to come".  Why would I? But you are right, they will, and partly because of the cringy music videos they made in the 90s. You are absolutely right. That legacy is already cemented.  So I am happy they don't have to rise to the same levels of cringe now and can instead make simple music videos based on live footage. Again, that's my personal opinion. Now let's see how you deal with it...

• Like 1