“Get ready for something F’n special.. 1.24.24”

It’s a shame GN’R don’t put more effort into their videos these days, but the last thing they should be doing is videos like they did back in the 90's.

I always thought the Depeche Mode video for Wrong would make a brilliant GN’R video for something like Shaklers, Oh My God, or State of Grace. But I guess they don’t want to spend the money on a decent writer and director.

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 1

Not sure why people are still questioning what the surprise is - its the music video to the general, confirmed by creative works. So let's end any speculation.

I understand why people are on edge about the use of Ai, but if it's actually been done to a storyline and with effort and care then there is no reason it can't be entertaining and/or effective in a music video. I wish all these rock n roll purists were there slagging slash off for doing an advert for a bank instead of defending his right to earn money, in the face of others misery. 

It's just typical lacklustre gnr. A song that should have been out in october, came out in december without a video, and now in late jan we're getting a video. I'm delighted theres a video, but it should have been out and ready with the release of the song. Sadly i dont think this is an indication that we will be getting monsters or atlas etc anytime soon. more like a late finishing off of the previous period.

People here are being over the top negative about it, but can you blame them? we can't tell if this video is shit or a masterpiece, but using all the knowledge we have of modern day gnr, it'll probably massively suck and wimper away into nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The fact that the video has been made with AI is indeed off-putting,. But other than that, yeah, many of the comments are as exaggerated and over-dramatic as usual, considering it's only a teaser they're reacting to.

And I'm not even sure I get what the overly negative reaction has been about (besides the AI). That they don't make music videos that are on par with the trilogy videos? That they don't spend enough money on it? And the problem with the kid's changing hat is the concept itself or that it's poorly made?

Look, man. I hate to compare them to The Stones, but that one new Stones video where there’s a chick on a car rockin’ out. It’s a simple video. Simple concept. Nothing special. The song is just OK. A little paint-by-numbers. But that video blows away some lame AF artificial intelligence video that appears to be on the horizon. It’s unnecessary. If they want to be lazy about it, just give us the live shots, paste lyrics on top of it, and call it a day. 

Slash just happened to share The Knack’s “My Sharona” music video on his Instagram. How cool would it have been if this band went into a studio and just recorded a video like that? Just something that makes them look like more than a touring act. 

Yes, I’m happy they’re releasing stuff. But that doesn’t mean we have to praise everything. It’s especially annoying when they hype it up acting like there’s gonna be a surprise. A cool surprise would be dropping a “Monsters” music video, same concept as I just mentioned. Imagine if they made a video where they walk into a small, sleazy club, hit the stage, and we see them performing “Monsters” to a crowd of a hundred people?

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

People are complaining, but honestly I wasn’t expecting to hear a peep out of GNR until 2025, so this video is a pretty cool bonus for me. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, there's nothing to complain about really... don't see why it needs to be hyped considering it's a standard video, but it's better than nothing! Hopefully they continue to release whatever is on the backburner while Slash and Duff are promoting their copious amounts solo albums. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

"Jumping the shark" is exactly what the Illusion videos did. They might have started out with some good ideas from Language of Fear and had some overarching vision that would at some point be resolved, but they ended up as nothing but a hot mess with very high production value. Not even the band members have any idea what those videos were all about. If Axl thought they made sense then that is indicative of Axl's mind at the time. Kids liked those videos because they were high-end production shots of their heroes that gave them an incredibly amount of showcasing on MTV ("I am a fan of the biggest band in the world, that validates me liking their music, yay, rawk on!") and they seemed on some level to have a meaning and you could speculate and endlessly discuss what the fuck the date on Axl's gravestone was about or why he jumped off the ship or why he wandered through the snow and so on.  And grown-ups keep liking those videos for the nostalgia and because it is hard to rid oneself of ingrained affection acquired in adolescence when one has less critical sense.

I also dislike the videos for what they represent: Axl exerting his will upon the band, which would ultimately be the demise of the UYI lineup and make Slash leave in disgust, and because they showcase what a nutcase he was back then, and still he got away with it. Kudos to him, I guess.

To me, what is best with Guns N' Roses is the music. So I want music videos to showcase the music. And there is really no better way than to do that through live footage. Also because GN'R is a great live band. Alternatively, do an artistic music video that is really great from an artistic perspective. Like, give an actual great video artist free reins to make a video, based off of or unrelated to the song. A symbioses of great art. When typing this, the music wideo to RHCP's Otherside came to mind. The Use Your Illusion trilogy is not any of this. It was Axl's decision that the songs should be a vehicle for him to try to tell some story about his life and future, but it was nothing but a steaming hot mess. 

And that's my opinion. 

Serious question. Were you old enough to live through that era? While I can agree with you to an extent on “Estranged” dolphins being a jump-the-shark moment, the “November Rain” video HELPED make that song one of the band’s biggest hits ever. It was all over MTV all throughout 1992 and continued getting consistent airplay even through 1995 even though people today will claim grunge supposedly “killed” GNR.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

People are complaining, but honestly I wasn’t expecting to hear a peep out of GNR until 2025, so this video is a pretty cool bonus for me. Looking forward to it.

I think this Will be their only Surprise until december 2024.. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I still cannot believe they would hype up a music video made with live shots & AI as something "FN' Special".

It's a music video. Probably a lame one at that.

Hopefully there is more to it than just that.

It is probably the social media team's phrasing. Though band should be a bit more conscious of how it looks and someone high up would have sign off.

In fairness, you wonder if band even realises how badly received the song was. Eg a Perhaps video this late on probably would have been more exciting but for The General.. not even the hardcores care.

(Caveat: I think the song is fine)

• Like 1

The old videos are cringy as hell. But the songs behind them are behemoths to this day. They always will be.

These songs will have lacklustre videos, which fit the effort behind the songs. I’ll gladly take overblown, jumping marine wildlife, over-the-top any day of the week. We all know we’re not getting anything close to that effort with whatever this will be.

38 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Serious question. Were you old enough to live through that era? While I can agree with you to an extent on “Estranged” dolphins being a jump-the-shark moment, the “November Rain” video HELPED make that song one of the band’s biggest hits ever. It was all over MTV all throughout 1992 and continued getting consistent airplay even through 1995 even though people today will claim grunge supposedly “killed” GNR.

I became a fan in 1988, so yes. 

16 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Of course the reactions to live proshots of the band in their prime will get better reactions than recent live proshots. That doesn't say anything about the quality of the releases though.

I was specifically talking about the quality of the releases - of course people will prefer the band in it's prime, but the blu ray was very well done, and the selects looked and sounded like they were quickly thrown together with little care. That's the difference.

Even with Perhaps, it's not the best music video or anything, but it's well done. Anything 'created' by AI shows how little they care.

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Bitch about it as long as you want when it‘s released an you certainly know what the fuck you are bitching about. That‘s the point. It‘s a goddamn 20 sec clip that tells us nothing.
AI? I don‘t give a fuck. Why should I care if it’s AI when the result is something I enjoy.  

Like I said earlier, maybe the video will be mostly live footage - I hope it is. I can't really judge it until they release the full thing. But Creative Works posting about it makes it seem like it'll be heavy on AI animation, and the clip we've seen looks like what I'd expect from shitty, cheap AI. Did you not notice literally any details like extra limbs, parts of the characters constantly changing, etc? Of course you didn't notice, but just keep calling anyone who points out very obvious flaws 'whiners'. :facepalm:

The band can absolutely afford to produce better stuff than that, and of course a cheap video for a b-side song isn't a big deal. But if they release shit, then people will bitch about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Look, man. I hate to compare them to The Stones, but that one new Stones video where there’s a chick on a car rockin’ out. It’s a simple video. Simple concept. Nothing special. The song is just OK. A little paint-by-numbers. But that video blows away some lame AF artificial intelligence video that appears to be on the horizon. It’s unnecessary. If they want to be lazy about it, just give us the live shots, paste lyrics on top of it, and call it a day. 

Slash just happened to share The Knack’s “My Sharona” music video on his Instagram. How cool would it have been if this band went into a studio and just recorded a video like that? Just something that makes them look like more than a touring act.

I get what you're saying. But other than being a more "proper" music video (than what GN'R are doing), this Stones video is not what I'd like GN'R to do. I'm not saying, of course, that what GN'R are doing is better, but I wouldn't use the Stones video as an example of what they could/should do. Moreover, The General is a song with a heavy subject matter, not an upbeat, "party" song, and a cliche'd rock 'n' roll music video with people rocking out to the music wouldn't fit.

I think that an animated kind of storyline is actually a good idea for a music video for this song, the use of AI to make it not so much. However, the problem for me (if the full version of the video is bad, that is) lies more in the quality and aesthetic of the work of  this company (Creative Works) in general, regardless of whether it's made with the help of AI or not, judging from the visuals they have made for the live shows. They have this video game aesthetic that is not to my liking.

Yes, I’m happy they’re releasing stuff. But that doesn’t mean we have to praise everything. It’s especially annoying when they hype it up acting like there’s gonna be a surprise. A cool surprise would be dropping a “Monsters” music video, same concept as I just mentioned. Imagine if they made a video where they walk into a small, sleazy club, hit the stage, and we see them performing “Monsters” to a crowd of a hundred people?

The hyping up is just a common promotion trick that PR companies use.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should be excited and over the moon about this - I'm not super excited myself. But I see no reason to be so negative about something the band releases either, either, especially since it hasn't even been released yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

That era (like any given era) was not a monoculture. November Rain, both the song and the music video were successful because they were crossover hits that reached audiences beyond the rock contingent.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that they gelled well with the more rock oriented crowd (which, even then, was not the larger portion of the general modern music audience). Speaking for myself, an Elton John inspired ballad and a music video about a rockstar's wedding were the last things I was looking for at that time. Over the years I got to appreciate the song a lot more - it's a great song - but I still consider the video cringy, although I understand why it was successful and is still loved by so many people.

Edited by Blackstar

39 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Did you not notice literally any details like extra limbs, parts of the characters constantly changing, etc? Of course you didn't notice, but just keep calling anyone who points out very obvious flaws 'whiners'. :facepalm:

Are we sure that all this is just random AI generated stuff and not part of a concept (even if it's a bad one) realized with the help of AI?

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Are we sure that all this is just random AI generated stuff and not part of a concept (even if it's a bad one) realized with the help of AI?

Yeah, I'm sure it's part of the concept to make Melissa turn into some bearded male anime character that has a little man on his shoulder for a milisecond.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nick85 said:

Yea...if it wasn't for whom the subject is, I'd say it's very strange and illuminating to be announcing something in a year the group members are all doing side projects....hopefully they can put out more product, EP wise...they milked way more on that front in 2021/22, so perhaps that's to come yet...things people, even 4Tus are saying, are coming to pass, just in slow-mo but it's true to say, we can trace back Slash's off-the-cuff comments and see most have happened...which is progress to hearing all the yada yada and then nada nada...so perhaps the priming of dem pumps will happen this year of the rest of whatever was worked on...the question is, what is left in the vault and ready...

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Just good old regular wankers :D

I tweeted that as an album title to Axl....

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I assume, based on the subject of the lyrics, it's supposed to look sort of chaotic or frantic. But like many things made by AI, the details are sloppy. The clip they posted actually looks like it could be a good concept, but the execution is what it is :shrugs:

• Like 2