“Get ready for something F’n special.. 1.24.24”

24th will announce the physical release of the remaining leftovers on vinyl/CD, promoted by The General music video and a new song. 

EP will include Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, The General, Monsters, Atlas Shrugged, 7 and Oklahoma. 

Source: I had a wet dream about it.

Edited by Towelie
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, I definitely prefer the music video to The General to the music video to November Rain. I get that they served a purpose back in the 90s when you had MTV and the band was on top of the world and I don't deny the commercial success of those videos and what it did to cement the legacy of the band. Still, I personally puke a little whenever I inadvertently catch a bit of them. But that's just my personal feelings on them.  I am very much aligned with Slash when it comes to his opinions on music videos. I wasn't even digging them when they came out in the 90s. It was all just Axl's megalomanic ego trip of confusing visuals. But more power to you if you like them - that's great :) 

As for whether I have already now concluded that the music video to The General is better than the music video to November Rain? No I haven't. But they will be hard pressed to make a music video that I will find any worse than the video to November Rain. Again, that's my personal opinion. To me, the music video to November Rain makes absolutely no sense story-wise, it cost a tremendous amount of money, it was a pure Axl ego trip with no one else in the band wanting it or even understanding it. It has racked up a huge amount of plays on Youtube because it is a popular song but I doubt many people watch it because of its riveting story. If people watch it without the sound on, which would indicate the video has some inherent value, it must be because they are high on some very psychedelic drugs or in love with Axl. I would suspect any young people watching it would go, "WTF is this weird shit?" To all timers like me it might have some weird sentimental/nostalgic value. But I just see through it without the burden of any of that and it is an incredible expensive collection of cringy scenes making a muddled mess of a story all coming out of the shared minds of Del James and Axl Rose.

I don't care whether the band "live on years to come".  Why would I? But you are right, they will, and partly because of the cringy music videos they made in the 90s. You are absolutely right. That legacy is already cemented.  So I am happy they don't have to rise to the same levels of cringe now and can instead make simple music videos based on live footage. Again, that's my personal opinion. Now let's see how you deal with it...

Cringy? You've just jumped the shark, bud. 
You're seriously ridiculous, however it sounds. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

playstation graphics looking cool an hip in 2024... naaa I'll pass thanks... these guys sounded good in the 90s an made great vids then. These guys are in their 60s an trying to look cool an trendy to the 20 year old fans, not the core fan base. 

And that's cool, enjoy ya sesame Street music video when it comes out tho 🤣👍

You "sound" even younger than this demographic.

24 minutes ago, jamillos said:

"Jumping the shark" is exactly what the Illusion videos did. They might have started out with some good ideas from Language of Fear and had some overarching vision that would at some point be resolved, but they ended up as nothing but a hot mess with very high production value. Not even the band members have any idea what those videos were all about. If Axl thought they made sense then that is indicative of Axl's mind at the time. Kids liked those videos because they were high-end production shots of their heroes that gave them an incredibly amount of showcasing on MTV ("I am a fan of the biggest band in the world, that validates me liking their music, yay, rawk on!") and they seemed on some level to have a meaning and you could speculate and endlessly discuss what the fuck the date on Axl's gravestone was about or why he jumped off the ship or why he wandered through the snow and so on.  And grown-ups keep liking those videos for the nostalgia and because it is hard to rid oneself of ingrained affection acquired in adolescence when one has less critical sense.

I also dislike the videos for what they represent: Axl exerting his will upon the band, which would ultimately be the demise of the UYI lineup and make Slash leave in disgust, and because they showcase what a nutcase he was back then, and still he got away with it. Kudos to him, I guess.

To me, what is best with Guns N' Roses is the music. So I want music videos to showcase the music. And there is really no better way than to do that through live footage. Also because GN'R is a great live band. Alternatively, do an artistic music video that is really great from an artistic perspective. Like, give an actual great video artist free reins to make a video, based off of or unrelated to the song. A symbioses of great art. When typing this, the music wideo to RHCP's Otherside came to mind. The Use Your Illusion trilogy is not any of this. It was Axl's decision that the songs should be a vehicle for him to try to tell some story about his life and future, but it was nothing but a steaming hot mess. 

And that's my opinion. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, the trilogy videos are loved and have become kind of iconic now to a lot of people, but at the time I thought they were cringy, too (especially November Rain).

And all the rockstar stuff with Axl getting out of his mansion and heading to his limo followed by a bunch of "servants" dressed in white was not the coolest thing then.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, the trilogy videos are loved and have become kind of iconic now to a lot of people, but at the time I thought they were cringy, too (especially November Rain).

And all the rockstar stuff with Axl getting out of his mansion and heading to his limo followed by a bunch of "servants" dressed in white was not the coolest thing then.

Not to forget this black highway cop with sunglasses and a big mustache, also dressed in a white uniform... 😂

• Haha 3

Just throwing this our there:

If the trilogy videos had not been pompous, overblown, ridiculous things that weren't even intentionally parodic, the band would have more cred today. Not that I care about the band's standing in the history of music, I'd be perfectly happy if I was the only one liking their music, but many here seem to do. People hate the band, partly or wholly, because of these videos and it prevents these same people from listening to the music and discovering the greatness in the music. It's definitely a double-edged sword.

10 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

Not to forget this black highway cop with sunglasses and a big mustache, also dressed in a white uniform... 😂

Yeah, I suppose the "whiteness" was meant to symbolize some kind of spiritual state, but that whole scene was pretty ridiculous.

• GNFNR 1

November Rain was always cringy to me, it was back then and I still think so now. (I believe even Axl said he doesn't like it anymore now).
But that's my opinion, I just prefer more simple and artistic music videos. Anton Corbijn has made some of my favourite music videos, especially in the 90s. I like the videos to Metallica's "Until It Sleeps" and R.E.M.'s ''Losing My Religion" a lot too.
Estranged was a bit better because of the cool live shots, but also quite cringy.
Don't Cry is better because of the abstract, artsy scenes in it, although them playing on a roof with a helicopter flying above them screams total Hollywood again, which just isn't my cup of tea for a music video. 

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

Didn't Axl himself also said during one of those 2009 Q&A chats that nowadays he thinks those videos are kinda corny or something to that effect? Slash I remember saying he preferred Paradise City-style of videos with band playing the song. 

8 minutes ago, tboneman said:

Didn't Axl himself also said during one of those 2009 Q&A chats that nowadays he thinks those videos are kinda corny or something to that effect?

Yeah, he said that in the Eddie Trunk interview in 2006.

And he said this in 2011, "It's like sometimes music to me is just you're supposed to hear the song, you don't have to write a script to it." Did you catch that all you guys clamoring for the band to make UYI videos again? Not going to happen. What you are getting from now on is only live footage and AI, live footage and AI in holy symbiois. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Just throwing this our there:

If the trilogy videos had not been pompous, overblown, ridiculous things that weren't even intentionally parodic, the band would have more cred today. Not that I care about the band's standing in the history of music, I'd be perfectly happy if I was the only one liking their music, but many here seem to do. People hate the band, partly or wholly, because of these videos and it prevents these same people from listening to the music and discovering the greatness in the music. It's definitely a double-edged sword.

That's a really valid point actually. 

Personally, I like the videos, but I have so many music loving friends that laugh at them and point to them as a m example of how naff and uncool GNR were. 

I remember people at the time laughing at them at school, in an era where Nirvana and the like were making videos seen as 'cool'. 

I mean, fuck it to a certain degree- they're iconic, they represent the way the band was, they don't impact on the songs themselves, all that stuff.....but their impact wasn't as positive as some make out and it's a very salient point that they did have a negative impact on how GNR were perceived by some people.

Cut to 2024, and a shit AI video for a B-Side (assuming it is shit of course)  isn't really going to have any impact whatsoever on anything other than people on forums laughing a bit at how shit it is. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

I still love the Don't Cry video. I love the running on the roof, the three Axls in therapy, absolutely love it, always have and probably always will :lol: Loved the November Rain video, but that was already a bit over the top. Estranged was plain cringe to me. Maybe because by that time I was a year older and a bit embarrassed about my being a GNR fan by then. I have never liked the Estranged video and it seemed out of place and out of time.

Tbh, I'm happy they even consider making videos nowadays. You can't compare now with then. We watched videos all day, I had tapes and tapes of MTV videoclips etc. Those days are over. And I can't imagine Axl, Slash and Duff acting in a videoclip nowadays :lol: Just imagine, Axl, Beta, Fernando, Vanessa and the kids sitting at the table having lunch, or splashing by the pool, while Slash and Duff drop by with their wives.

Back then it was a thing to do, so even if it was over the top, it was alright imo (although like I said, Estranged has always made me feel uncomfortable). But now? I would think their only option would be something like a cartoon or whatever, or have a video with live footage, behind the scenes or on stage.

• Like 4

Give them some live footage.... Seems to be the answer to all gnr videos.

I think the music video era is over, but they could make a bit more of an effort if they want the maximum amount of attention on these songs. Minimum effort = minimum results. However!! This is at least a step in the right direction considering there was no released videos for the entire Chinese album

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

People complain when there is no video and then the same people complain when they do make a video.  It's just an endless cycle of complaints 

Unfortunately this band leaves alot to be desired. 

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Give them some live footage.... Seems to be the answer to all gnr videos.

I think the music video era is over, but they could make a bit more of an effort if they want the maximum amount of attention on these songs. Minimum effort = minimum results. However!! This is at least a step in the right direction considering there was no released videos for the entire Chinese album

The music video era isn't over at all, it's booming. There are many contemporary artists out there making brilliant big-budget/low-budget music videos that get tens of millions of views, but they're not in the rock genre. 

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

No one can sit here thinking Axl rapping “It Tastes Good” in biker shorts and shit like that is cool. The fact that they were always a bit inherently silly made them more appealing as opposed to bands like Motley Crue that were campy but took themselves too seriously.

I thought it was pretty cool… maybe I’m just not very cool either 😅

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2024 at 2:45 PM, ZoSoRose said:

They should release Monsters on a Halloween and have the band act with campy universal monsters and shit. It would be stupid and a no brainer

Too cheesy. The song is better than a throwaway halloween gesture. I kow halloween is big in the US but make the song feel more like a cheesy halloween grab rather than the best song GnR have left since 2008. Release it tomorrow, let it stand on its own as a genuine fully fledged song. 

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

jarmo literally knows nothing

Generally yes, but he probably had heard something about a video in December when the song was released (that's when the screenshot is from).

• Like 1