Tokyo 2009 VS Los Angeles 2017

Tokyo 2009 VS Los Angeles (longest show ever)  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly Tokyo 2009 even though I think LA is a way better setlist with a better lineup.

Ive seen NITL 4 times now and got almost all the songs in different shows played last night except for Catcher and Twat (and I heard Sorry at NuGNR shows) 

Last night looks like an awesome and pretty memorable show. One for the history books. Tokyp 2009 was legendary though. For those not on the boards back then, the buzz surrounding those shows were huge (not necessarily comparing that era to the reunion, but it was a good time to be an Axl fan). If last night had tons of rare songs by Slash and Duff like Locomotive and shit, yeah Id pick that. I also prefer reunion GNR to NuGNR and saw NuGNR 3 times (once in 2010 too) so I sound crazy picking Tokyo.

Its just that show at the time was the gold standard for what Axl could do, Chinese Democracy was reletively "new", Axl sounded great, and more members from that era played on more Chinese songs. Plus, Id hear all the songs Id missed (Catcher and Twat) plus IRS which Ive never heard in person before.

If I hadnt seen a 3.5 hour NITL show Id pick LA, but I did earlier in the month. I finally got "rarities" like Yesterdays, My Michelle, UTLH with guys who made those songs and a few bonus Chinese songs. Might as well pick Tokyo and get some other songs I havent heard before.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

Easy question: Tokyo 2009. I doubt anything can beat that if we're talking shows of the last 20 years. Axl had a great voice but also it was a huge come-back and he defied the logics of physic by playing the longest setlist with the best choices of songs ever (sadly Coma wasn't there, but never mind). 
There was something very unique, unpredictable and special about this particular show, something that just isn't there in the 2017 shows...

I remember playing the bootleg over and over and over back then. I was just astonished Axl could pull this off.

Last night setlist was awesome but Axl's voice just isn't there and I can't enjoy this fully. Also it's not like they didn't play any of the songs they play yesterday for the first time in years. Still it's great they did this, and I will always respect Axl for who he is, what he's done, and his overall career. Infinite respect for him.

But yeah, Tokyo 2009, easily. You can say "yeah but Ashba > Slash", but really, seeing Ashba doing so well in 2009, bear in mind it was one of his first shows, was nothing short of a miracle. Bumble and Richard and the whole band was tight, they did the best they could, and Axl's vocals were fucking awesome. 

I'd take any show of 2009-2010 over the ones from 2017, sorry. At the end of the day, what makes or break the show is Axl's voice, and he was at the top of his game in 2009-2010. I just wish him the best and hope he'll recover 100% of his wonderful voice in the future, he needs a break seriously.

Even with just watching a few songs from last night, I'd have to go with 2009. Axls voice was much stronger throughout... end of the day, Axls vocal condition is what decides whether or not a gig is Good, bad or indifferent.... Not that last night was bad. And yes, I'd have a drunk out of his mind Slash messing up Jungle over a fully sober Ashba any day, but that 2009 was super exciting! I remember watching the videos the days after the concert! I was actually a lot more excited to hear of those shows than I was the "regrouping" funnily enough. 

I also think the band as a whole were a lot tighter as a unit... even if it meant Pitman and Ashba. Swap out Ashba and Pitman and add in Slash and that was a winning formula... although you may as well go the full hog and get duff instead of Stinson too, sorry Tommy ;) 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

Probably an unpopular opinion, despite how much I enjoyed both shows, I think due to Tokyo being at the start of a tour, Axl, despite sounding great for the most part, was off on some songs that he more or less sings with ease, Patience being one of the main ones. I was never big on the way the band played some of the tunes either, Rocket Queen vastly improved 2011/12 - probably my favorite era for the song being played with 4tus shining on the outro. It was Axl's first attempts at singing Prostitute live during that Asian leg and if you watch the Vegas shows from 2014, it's vastly superior in my opinion.

Despite solo slots still being frequent during this tour, it felt that there were a lot more during the 09/14 era and that they took up a big chunk of the show.

Much like Anything Goes being the weakest link on Appetite (IMO), I feel that Scraped is the equivalent on Chinese. I feel the setlist now showcases what the band is all about, and for the most part, is very enjoyable.

My vote is with LA. Musically, I think the band now sounds a lot better and probably vocal flaws, they about even each other out.

Edited by Dean

The Los Angeles show only by a hair and thats because Estranged and Coma was in the set list.  Although hearing the ear piece audio from Tokyo was awesome, just hearing the conversations between Axl and the band was very humerus and entertaining. I'd love to hear the ear piece audio from any of the shows from NITL.

YCBM...this is how I‎t should be sang now 

PC no singing over intro...aggressive vocals

NR pleasant sound, great vocals, nice control

Tokyo night have been a bit on the rough side but Axl could still demonstrate proper use of vocals from song to song. Any time I can hear Axl in this form I’d take that all day. Compare these to the Forum last night and it’s no contest 

• Like 1

Seeing as time travel is possible in your question, can we also include implanting Axl's 2009 voice into current Axl? If so, I would pick that one. If not, probably 2009, it is easy it ignore a shit guitar solo, but the old lady voice really shits the bed for me.

• Like 2