"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

11 hours ago, Neider said:

I know that Axl’s voice in 2001 and 2002 was similar, although not the same. HoB from 2001 seems like a great show to me but that's not my point in this post.

I have the Boston 2002 soundboard in excellent quality, and I really like the sound of that show. Yes, Axl’s voice is much weaker than 2006-10 and even 2001, but I think Axl was improving a lot in the last shows of 2002 (eg Albany, Boston and MSG). Who knows, if the tour hadn’t ended abruptly, and continued in 2003, I don’t rule out that Axl would have ended up singing at least like in 2007.

As a curiosity, I prefer to listen to the 2001-02 and 2006 versions of Live and Let Die over the 1991-93 versions. And another curiosity… I thought Axl started playing Prostitute as an intro for November Rain in 2006, but it turns out that in 2002 he already did. I was surprised to hear Prostitute’s notes on the Boston soundboard haha.

Yeah, I think he would have improved indeed. Just listen to how he sang The Blues during that year, he used a very nice raspy tone in the Albany show. And he had the power to sing those extremely high clean notes that ended up on the album too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, axlvai said:

Some off topic but... did u saw the trailer from The Beatles "Get Back". Holly sh¡t man, 50 years AFTER!!!!!!

Disney and Apple pls your help with GnR!!!!

Especially since we know they filmed the Use Your Illusion Tour and the quality is film quality. It's just a matter of getting the band to agree to release it and find a means of distribution. I wonder if they watch the Get Back documentary and get any urge to do so?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

Hey @Dexter, how about some chat again? Didn't you say something like same time, same bat channel some thirteen years ago? Looks like a dead season ahead of us. Come on man, don't be like that. :D

Dexter is coming back.....but only on Showtime. Axl has to love that. But Dexter chatting on this forum again... doubtful!

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Especially since we know they filmed the Use Your Illusion Tour and the quality is film quality. It's just a matter of getting the band to agree to release it and find a means of distribution. I wonder if they watch the Get Back documentary and get any urge to do so?

That's not true. The amount of shows that were shot on film can be counted with one (maybe two) hands. Pretty much all of the UYI shows were recorded digitally.

And only the ones shot on film can get you that 'Get Back'-like 4K quality.

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

That's not true. The amount of shows that were shot on film can be counted with one (maybe two) hands. Pretty much all of the UYI shows were recorded digitally.

Thank for the clarification. I think that would still be good enough for a documentary mixed with the higher quality stuff. It's a shame because it's unused footage that's doing absolutely nothing. It wouldn't hurt to monetize it. Have interviews with the band today to give their thoughts on the tour. Hearing from the Use Your Illusion era band (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Gilby, Matt, Dizzy) about the highs and lows of that tour and era would be very compelling. 

31 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Which shows do we know were shot on film?

Pantages 1991

Ritz 1991?

Munich 1993?

• Like 2

It is an absolute sin that they band doesn't release ant footage from the classic era to remind everyone how awesome they really were. I don't often actually listen to Gn'R much any more but I love watching live stuff.  I would buy every bit of classic material released and watch it over and over and over again.. Some kick ass UYI footage as well as anything they could dig up from the 87/88 tour.. That to me is GnR at their best... The Ritz, Felt Forum, Melbourne, Perkin Palace, the Late Show, AMA show, Jungle at the MTV awards, Middletown.. It is all money... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It is an absolute sin that they band doesn't release ant footage from the classic era to remind everyone how awesome they really were. I don't often actually listen to Gn'R much any more but I love watching live stuff.  I would buy every bit of classic material released and watch it over and over and over again.. Some kick ass UYI footage as well as anything they could dig up from the 87/88 tour.. That to me is GnR at their best... The Ritz, Felt Forum, Melbourne, Perkin Palace, the Late Show, AMA show, Jungle at the MTV awards, Middletown.. It is all money... 

Wait a minute, are you seriously suggesting the 1988-93 period was the classic era of this band? You are aware of the legendary 2001/02 shows upon which it is widely understood that Axl Rose was at the peak of artistic powers, having shyed from the world for 7 years, having recorded a career's worth of vocals in 1999, and having replaced every band member bar The Diz! You are aware, right!!!?! :P 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mystery said:

That 1999-2000 period of recording songs seems fruitful since they're releasing singles in 2021 of reworked versions of those same songs. We'll probably hear the supposed Chinese Democracy 2 songs by 2035 at this rate.

By which point, nobody will give a shit! And given the distinct lack of press coverage GNR gets today... that is likely generally the case now too. Having played Hard Skool and Absurd to a few fellow rockers over the past few weeks, the reaction at best has been... meh! Absurd is actually dreadful so I get that. But Hard Skool I didn't mind. Was disappointed to hear one pal review it as... "GNR by numbers; all the elements are there... it's just missing something!"

32 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

By which point, nobody will give a shit! And given the distinct lack of press coverage GNR gets today... that is likely generally the case now too. Having played Hard Skool and Absurd to a few fellow rockers over the past few weeks, the reaction at best has been... meh! Absurd is actually dreadful so I get that. But Hard Skool I didn't mind. Was disappointed to hear one pal review it as... "GNR by numbers; all the elements are there... it's just missing something!"

why should I care about what other people think of it if I personally enjoy it? even a positive reaction to a "new" Gn'R song or album has no effect on me personally so honestly, I really don't give a shit that nobody gives a shit.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rovim said:

why should I care about what other people think of it if I personally enjoy it? even a positive reaction to a "new" Gn'R song or album has no effect on me personally so honestly, I really don't give a shit that nobody gives a shit.

Slow down there, horsey! 😀😃😄😁 Never suggested you should care about what other people think. If you want to dissect what I mean though... GNR have, in part, 'lost' many fans due to their lack of releases, emphasised by the fact that my pals (who would go to a concert if nearby and are generally fans of the 87-93 era) had no idea these songs have even been released as there was little fanfare with it. Fact is, it Metallica or another of their peers release something, the world knows about it and there is airplay. Less so for GNR. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Slow down there, horsey! 😀😃😄😁 Never suggested you should care about what other people think. If you want to dissect what I mean though... GNR have, in part, 'lost' many fans due to their lack of releases, emphasised by the fact that my pals (who would go to a concert if nearby and are generally fans of the 87-93 era) had no idea these songs have even been released as there was little fanfare with it. Fact is, it Metallica or another of their peers release something, the world knows about it and there is airplay. Less so for GNR. 

I think that if Axl was genuinely interested in more airplay and awareness for new Gn'R releases, he would have actually promoted it and invested more resources in making sure the maximum amount of people that are interested in the product he's selling, knew about it.

the fact that rock music sells like shit nowdays and Axl seems to keep a pretty low profile and giving almost no interviews suggests he is fine with making his money from live shows without the hassle of actually doing work that doesn't really have financial rewards anymore.

Gn'R retained enough fans to make a bunch of money as soon as Slash returned, I think they're doing fine.

Gn'R's 2021 approach to releasing Absurd and HS kinda reminds me of how Izzy did it. Just digitally releasing a lot of his music through itunes with no promotion. Different musicians, different approach and goals.

Edited by Rovim
  • Thanks 1

I think it also needs to be stated that these are 20 year old songs that were shelved and only recently brought back, touched up, and released. It might be a different situation if these were brand new songs by the current band. I'm wondering if Guns n Roses releasing 2 singles this year made any news or buzz.

If anything the singles along with the live performances feel like something for the hardcore fans who knew about their existence beforehand. They might not be the same versions, but we now have officially released versions of Absurd and Hard Skool.

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

For me personally, I don’t get why people get hung up on when the songs were written. A good song is a good song regardless of when it was penned. 

I don't think that's the problem. I think most people find it a weird way of producing music by having 20 year old drum and vocal tracks being overdubbed with new track from musicians who never had anything to do with the original recordings. It doesn't sound natural to my ears and then there is the whole mixing dilema! Personally, I have hee haw issue with the band re-recording old CD-era tracks if that's the best they've got (and all evidence suggests that is the case), but I would personally prefer if they just re-recorded afresh. 

On 10/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, 19AT5 said:

Wait a minute, are you seriously suggesting the 1988-93 period was the classic era of this band? You are aware of the legendary 2001/02 shows upon which it is widely understood that Axl Rose was at the peak of artistic powers, having shyed from the world for 7 years, having recorded a career's worth of vocals in 1999, and having replaced every band member bar The Diz! You are aware, right!!!?! :P 

And yet the 2001-02 shows were far better than any of 2011-14 and 2017-21 on absolutely everything, from guitars to Axl's vocals. And 2006-10 was another high point for the band, but for sure some people will come to say that it was not GNR and that they should have made 30 albums of the same hard rock like AC/DC…

Edited by Neider

16 hours ago, gavgnr said:

For me personally, I don’t get why people get hung up on when the songs were written. A good song is a good song regardless of when it was penned. 

It isn't when it was written.. It is all the mashed up tracks recorded by different lineups in different decades.. Especially tracks lifted from NuGnR demos

2 hours ago, Neider said:

And yet the 2001-02 shows were far better than any of 2011-14 and 2017-21 on absolutely everything, from guitars to Axl's vocals.

Rio really tainted that era of the band, but the late 2011-early 2012 shows were pretty damn good. Much better setlists than 01-02 and Axl sounded pretty strong for the most part. Mid-2012 until late 2014 was a definite low-point, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neider said:

And yet the 2001-02 shows were far better than any of 2011-14 and 2017-21 on absolutely everything, from guitars to Axl's vocals. And 2006-10 was another high point for the band, but for sure some people will come to say that it was not GNR and that they should have made 30 albums of the same hard rock like AC/DC…

Gimme 2017-2021 over 2001-2 anyday IMO.  What Axl doesn't have during these recent years Slash more than makes up for it with his guitar work which is in my opinion the MVP of the reunion

I am all for sonic evolution, but I am also a Slash fanboy :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Rio really tainted that era of the band, but the late 2011-early 2012 shows were pretty damn good. Much better setlists than 01-02 and Axl sounded pretty strong for the most part. Mid-2012 until late 2014 was a definite low-point, though.

Yes, I agree that those months you name were good, and the same I think can be said for some concerts from 2014 or half concerts from 2017. But still, HoB from 2001 was quite good and I like the performance of the whole band there, and the last concerts of 2002 were also being excellent with Axl improving vocally, but the instrumental plot of 2002 is my favorite after the AFD formation, the only flaw was that Axl was not sooo fine in 2001-02 , but his voice sounded OK and better than the average show of 2011-14 and 2017-21.

In the verses of many songs his voice was somewhat weak, but those very high notes were something incredible and that he never achieved in classical times or since 2010 (in 2006 he also made those notes so high in some songs like TWAT, LALD or Madagascar, but Axl's voice in 2006 was all in one: raspy, clean, very high, midrange, very low).

And yes, I think the 2001-02 setlist could have been better, with more songs from the CD and a couple of the UYIs. There was more variety starting in 2009 and then in 2011. What I would have given so that in 2006 they would have played Civil War, Estranged or Sorry…

51 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Gimme 2017-2021 over 2001-2 anyday IMO.  What Axl doesn't have during these recent years Slash more than makes up for it with his guitar work which is in my opinion the MVP of the reunion

I am all for sonic evolution, but I am also a Slash fanboy

Yep, just as I love the lineups on the CD, of course I love Slash and the classical era. But just as I didn't like Axl's vocals for most of the reunion years, I didn't like Slash's guitar that much at the reunion either. I think the band sounds compact even though Slash gets out of context on many solos or Axl sings badly, but the 2001-10 instrumental part seemed crazy to me, and even better when Axl sang good 100% of the time (2006-10).