NITL live videos on youtube

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Since is also one of my favourites - criminal that (and many others from Spaghetti) have been ignored for BHS and The Seeker for so long.

That is a good point,  beyond Duff's solo spot there are quite a few "legacy" cover tunes GNR could be doing instead of odd picks like The Seeker!  I would love to hear Black Leather, the studio version on TSI has such a cool vibe to it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Played a tonne of deepcuts (including some absolute fa favs which haven't been played in decades), released a 'new' single (whole other conversation) and played some of their best covers. Couldn't really ask or more (new music aside).

Personally I'm not that fussed for new music (and I love CD). It's just not going to make much of a dent in the setlist over the classic material that people actually want to hear. Will I listen to it when it comes out (and most probably like it) of course but I won't be pulling my hair out to hear it.   

Couldn't ask for more? To each their own but I expected more from a reunion than a handful of deepcuts. To me that's the low hanging fruit, easiest thing they could do. Interviews, new music and regular communication? That's something that takes a slightly higher level of effort and commitment and is something we've not seen here. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SL138 said:

just listening to its so easy live video

and I thought I had to share my views on this

it sounds so extremely flat and artificial this mix... just awful

heavily cut EQ thresholds, gain, distortion all so messed up

slash sounds like he plugged the guitar directly into my ear with no reverb whatsoever...

you can hear every single licking mistake

unbelievable this bands management...

Are these in ear mixes? Like Axl's when he's singing, and Slash's during solos. Because it's like two different mixes spliced together....

14 hours ago, metallex78 said:

It’s the best sounding album put out by the UYI lineup. It’s a damn shame we didn’t get any more from that era, especially some original material

Couldn't agree more. While it has some sonic similarities to the Illusions I just find it breathes a lot better.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I'm gonna try to predict the next show they'll stream. Could be fun.

Year: 2018
Leg: Europe
Show: Tallinn, Estonia (2018-07-16)

I think the next one will probably be 2016... I've seen a bunch of comments about Houston 2016 on reddit in the last couple weeks, so Fernando's probably seen them too lol. Plus he initially mentioned the Troubadour show.

Maybe they've read the comments about no audience noise in the last video, so they'll overcorrect and we'll get a SA 2016 show where we can't hear the band :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think the next one will probably be 2016... I've seen a bunch of comments about Houston 2016 on reddit in the last couple weeks, so Fernando's probably seen them too lol. Plus he initially mentioned the Troubadour show.

Maybe they've read the comments about no audience noise in the last video, so they'll overcorrect and we'll get a SA 2016 show where we can't hear the band :lol:

His answer on that Reddit thread was that currently they were picking the shows at random, or something like that. Who knows :shrugs: SA would be killer though!

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

His answer on that Reddit thread was that currently they were picking the shows at random, or something like that. Who knows :shrugs: SA would be killer though!

Someone needs to tell him to randomly pick Houston 2016.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I suppose their choice of songs, camera angles, editing, ... all of that is also random huh, ha ha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

Someone needs to tell him to randomly pick Houston 2016.

Id like to hear berlin 2018 to hear how much the vocals have been mixed prior to TB uploading the vid..

Edited by Sydney Fan

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Id like to hear berlin 2018 to hear how much the vocals have been mixed prior to TB uploading the vid..

I remember no song that sounds good. Even It's So Easy was shaky. Please no... no . ... but Slash was KILLER. They should release only Stuff without Axl from Berlin

Here I fixed it:

put DTJ from the video on in your car, cut all the midrange out, so keep it at 0, or even go -1 if you can. 

give the bass +2 or +3 and then give the treble just a litttttle more then that and then it sounds better. Might have to turn it up a but though to feel it

10 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I remember no song that sounds good. Even It's So Easy was shaky. Please no... no . ... but Slash was KILLER. They should release only Stuff without Axl from Berlin

Dude.. So many consistently good It's So Easy performances that were off the charts and I think they picked the most lifeless one.. Crowd included. I wish someone would separate the song now that it has aired.  The only one I would watch again is DTJ... Looking forward to some Slash solos.. I think there enough official Godfather releases out there so one of the other jams would be cool. 

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Okay.. so I've been out of pocket and on vacation since Thursday (lucky me) and since then it looks like Fernando has made good on at least one of his promises. Now, yes, I did watch the footage while I was on vacation, but I couldn't keep up with most of the comments and criticisms that were posted here but I have since caught up and I'm ready to give my analysis since I have been one of Fernando's biggest critics as of late. I know I'm late to the party myself, but its better to be late then never show up at all.. so. anyway:

So first off, to my untrained ear, it sounds like the audio for all of the songs is coming through what is known in the live sound world as the "pre-fader aux mix." To basically simplify this explanation, this means that the person who mixed this put all the wet effects for each instrument on a different chain or bus and that 'bus' is on a different set of faders that only the sound guy controls or mixes. That 'pre-fader' mix is usually used to turn sound up or down, while the post fader mix is used to control variables like effects or noises in a mix that need to be edited in and out. I feel like this is how the o2 show was recorded in 2012, but with a little more bass. I'm not sure what happens when you record a mix, but I think this should have had its audio mixed separately and added to the video to make it that much greater. But, as has been said here, it is a step in the right direction and I'm glad something like this was put out there to show at least other fans of other bands that GNR isn't all that dead...

I must say, A+ on the intro graphics and presentation. Can we get the same people who work on those to possibly work on the sound issues? 

It's So Easy:

Slashs guitar is all over the spectrum here, as has been mentioned. Revert to my hypothesis above for this, and since the guitar is the main instrument pushing through the mid-range, its easy to see why that whole midrange sounds muddy as hell. Since this is the first song they play live, it sounds like the sound guy is trying to mix the levels in the first couple of seconds of the clip, and that is exactly what you are getting in the video. Only the volume of the sound is changing which is probably the sound guy pulling Slash up and putting him down by the end of the first chorus, then he comes up again for the solo.

I'm not sure why everyone is giving the guys a hard time for releasing this version of Easy. It's almost like people want to be pissed at everything. Besides the audio mix, I think this version of Easy is par for the course on Easy's for the NITL tour. That song is pure punk rock. Quit trying to make it seem like its a masterpiece that has to be played 100% right every night. The hardest part is that "FUCK OFF!/BUT IT GOES TO SHOW" which i think Axl nailed, but maybe we could tell better if the mix was better. :shrugs: Slashes outro solo is also fairly good and the minor blemishes are glossed over. I'm personally not a fan of Franks snare sound, but he also works on this track, so im not sure what the gripe with him is. If GNR would have given this to us as the start of a hypothetical "Live Era 2: Not In This Lifetime", I would take it. 

Chinese Democracy:

Slash sounds perfect at the start of this. Chinese has always been a 2 guitar song though, so when Fortus comes in to play lead and the Rhythm is then handed to Slash, you can almost hear Slashs guitar come down on sound compared to what Richard is playing, which again goes back to my original hypothesis. You hear it again when Fortus plays the solo during the second chorus,  its like his guitar rises from the ashes. The guitar solos sound fine because the sound guy knows who is going to play first.

Interesting to me they decided to choose a performance where the lyrics were flubbed. They could have just as easily given us Brownstone or something from this show and Chinese from another show, but hey I wasnt the one who was choosing these videos so we will just leave it at that. What they did give us was rather interesting. I think as a fan, its cool to see who is playing what and when. It's nice to actually get to see the dynamic between Axl and Duff and Melissa with the vocals when you aren't at a show watching them so close up. Although, I do think Duff messed up Axl when Axl flubbed the lyrics. Axl sounded like he was going off of Duff, which made him fumble his way through the verse and honestly the rest of the song. Its okay though, its more than what I expected. And now fans who may have never listened to Chinese Democracy get to see what Slash brings to the table, which in itself isn't bad at all. I think Slash made this one his own over the NITL tour, as mentioned here before. It would be interesting to see what would have happened had the big 3 stayed around and actually and wrote Chinese Democracy the album. 

Again, if there were a hypothetical 'Live Era 2', I don't think this should be the performance of Chi Dem that goes on it, but its a fair take from the recent tour and I'm glad we got it. 

Double Talkin Jive

Certainly the highlight of this 'select' performance. Again, let me state: I am not a fan of Franks snare. Compare this performance to ANY of Matts or even Fritzy. Franks sounds less like a train is rolling into town and more like someone playing the back end of a plastic bucket on the street for change.

First off, I'm glad they chose a version where Axl doesn't mis time the intro. I think its a fair performance. Hardcore fans know this is Slash's song live, Izzy just had a hell of a time writing some lyrics about a 'true story' that Axl only uses a minute of the song to sing. Given the case, I think this is absolutely a fair cut and par for the course DTJ that we would have gotten on this tour.

Criticisms:

Ah, the good ol camera angle controversy.

It does seem a little odd that all of the close ups of Axl were cut, especially when we can see them on the side screens when they cut to the wide angles. Even odder that we do get some Axl shots in the form of a camera that seems to be sitting right over Axl's head. I'm not all that worried about camera angles honestly. If Axl didn't want to be videoed at all, he wouldn't be. I couldn't care less if we don't get a full 5 minutes of Axl on screen time. I've been to the show, I've seen him in person, I know he's real. While it is odd, all we can hope is that more Axl is added in the future if thats your thing. 

Speaking of the future, I think if theres any criticism that comes from this it shouldn't be about Axl and his weight/camera shyness/editing.. I think the bottom line here is why wasn't this released earlier?? It truly seems like a cut and paste job, not that im angry with the quality of the video, again im happy we got SOMETHING. It just seems more to me that this could have been done the first or second week of April and would have eliminated a whole month of hate that seemed to be directly toward Fernando. We could have been sitting here talking about a new video every week instead of t-shirts. toy trucks, or management skills. 

To the casual fan, this is a good recap video and you have to understand that. We as the hardcores will dissect and try to over analysis anything that comes our way, but for a casual fan that may have seen the show once or twice, this is a good way to lead them back if they have gone astray or show them what they missed. 3 songs. 3 different eras. 3 of the classic members of the band jamming on stage. Hell, Slash even uses 3 different guitars. I truly am appalled that so many people had a problem with this. 

For the people bitching, hook up a nice speaker to your device and play only DTJ. If you aren't rocking out of your chair and loving every single minute of it, you may truly be done with this band. 

So this all begs the question, will these videos be weekly? Bi-weekly? Or just a one and done? I think that will tell the true story with this over time. Will we get more? Not that I'm greedy, but it truly seems that they have set themselves up to do this again. From the 'select' wording, to the songs that were chosen, etc. If all we get is this video, I can see how one would think they only decided to pick songs that Axl didn't sound absolute shit on and rushed just about everything to get it out there once TB was under pressure to put something out there. But until then, what do we do? We have a good video to watch and a place to discuss. 

350k views in less than a a week isn't bad...

Great observations, thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

It does seem a little odd that all of the close ups of Axl were cut, especially when we can see them on the side screens when they cut to the wide angles. Even odder that we do get some Axl shots in the form of a camera that seems to be sitting right over Axl's head. I'm not all that worried about camera angles honestly. If Axl didn't want to be videoed at all, he wouldn't be. I couldn't care less if we don't get a full 5 minutes of Axl on screen time. I've been to the show, I've seen him in person, I know he's real. While it is odd, all we can hope is that more Axl is added in the future if thats your thing. 

Nice comprehensive review, although there are things I disagree with, especially this part here. 
– "If Axl didn't want to be videoed at all, he wouldn't be." – I don’t think that’s really possible to do, as it would logically draw attention to itself, with people asking why he’s not on the camera at all, wtf. (Unless you meant not releasing any vids whatsoever.)
– "I couldn't care less if we don't get a full 5 minutes of Axl on screen time. I've been to the show, I've seen him in person, I know he's real." – Yes, you have, but others haven’t. We know he’s real, but shouldn’t he be included in the footage like the others (Slash is also real), only more, since he’s the frontman? You know, like in any other videos? 
– "While it is odd, all we can hope is that more Axl is added in the future if thats your thing." – It’s not about it being someone’s thing, it’s the fact that Axl has always – quite logically – been in the spotlight/limelight; he’s a great frontman, and as such it’s only natural that the cameras are on him a lot. It’s not someone’s quirk, it’s how it always has been and logically should be. And the change in this video must have a specific reason. So let's not twist this around as if the suddenly heavily reduced focus on him is nothing to be noticed and if you do, it's "your thing", ya weirdo... 

Other than that, cool. I still don't like the footage though. :D 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

I wondered if they have specifically chosen NOT to use 100% Grade A footage due to the fact we have fans who could take it and properly create some awesome packages? Which may affect any potential official release?

I don’t think it matters - a great product will likely be created regardless and folk (like me) will still buy the official one. When it’s released........

• Like 1

Hello, I have been following this forum for a long time but I have never decided to write.
I have listened to the video of Not in this lifetime selects and have equalized, compressed, limited and added a bit of reverb.
I find it a little sad that a band of these characteristics is not able to do a 10-minute job to show a bit of quality in their material.
The video download could not have been the best since it was impossible for me to download in good quality ... but I think the audio has improved a lot.
enjoy it.

• Like 1