Your views on GNR's 2020

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know if, in the case of GnR, an update would make a difference. Even if Axl came out and announced that they've been working on new music (and even if he gave a tentative timeline which he'd totally believe at the time), it wouldn't mean much given the band's (Axl's) past history. It would grow anticipation, but if the timeline wasn't met (highly possible), the frustration would be bigger than it is now. Maybe it's better that they don't say anything. 

I also find it mind-boggling when people say that even the 2012-14 band was more a band than the NITL band or that it was better. What was better? Axl's voice? DJ Ashba? (Sure, it's all subjective and to each their own etc., but I genuinely can't fathom how anyone would consider GnR with Ashba better than GnR with Slash). Or was there new music then?

The only explanation I can think of is that it's fan psychology that doesn't have to do with the band itself or its performances, but, basically with the feeling of intimacy and of being a member of a community that is important to the band. The band then was smaller and the hardcore fans who followed it felt that it was "their own" niche thing and that they mattered more (regardless of what the band did or didn't); whereas now the band is bigger and it relies on casuals for the shows, which creates a feeling of non-acknowledgement. 

....there's also the factor of Bumblefoot (and other members, to a lesser extent) making a lot of effort to connect with fans in one way or another.  Expectations too have altered- I think many saw the return of Slash as the route to productivity and a big change, when really you have ultimately the same thing, but bigger venues and different members. I think you're on the money though with this. 

The main issue now is also comparison- it's difficult not to look at the way other bands have operated this year and not see a stark contrast. I've found myself actually being jealous of fans of other acts. 

44 minutes ago, eddiedingle said:

All things considered I think Axl has no interest in creating anything new.

I think I agree, but GNR has some of the most amazing songs ever written and they are still as important today as they were back in the 80's.  Seems nothing in our world has changed much. 

I think Axl figures he's released the best songs he ever will in his lifetime. but then again who knows?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamillos said:

I agree, although never saying anything and disclosing particular dates are two extremes, and we’re not asking for either, are we. All it takes is them posting a photo from a studio, with Axl holding a cigar and sitting next to Slash holding a guitar (Duff optional), and there would be a message beneath the photo saying something like “Hey, we’re working on that. Stay safe out there.”
All it takes. No dates, no promises, nothing (also no “F’n” and no “fam”). Absolute satisfaction. 
But alas…  

Imagine if they released a photo like that with a four-second clip of something on Twitter. This forum would shut down due to server overload. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, jamillos said:

I agree, although never saying anything and disclosing particular dates are two extremes, and we’re not asking for either, are we. All it takes is them posting a photo from a studio, with Axl holding a cigar and sitting next to Slash holding a guitar (Duff optional), and there would be a message beneath the photo saying something like “Hey, we’re working on that. Stay safe out there.”
All it takes. No dates, no promises, nothing (also no “F’n” and no “fam”). Absolute satisfaction. 
But alas…  

That pic doesn't exist because the two of them being in a studio together hasn't happened, imo.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

That pic doesn't exist because the two of them being in a studio together hasn't happened, imo.

Yeah...can't imagine Axl and Slash being in a studio together, having fun, being creative, challenge each other....that's not the vibe they're given us at all so far. I'm really afraid that they clob together some kind of soulless, heartless product. 

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Oh but hey, we know it has. A few years back at Axl's, remember? Those pesky journalists, knowing about it before it happened and all... 

A real/bigger studio? I believe they've been there somewhere, wherever it was. I do. 

Edited by jamillos

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Oh but hey, we know it has. A few years back at Axl's, remember? Those pesky journalists, knowing about it before it happened and all... 

A real/bigger studio? I believe they've been there somewhere, wherever it was. I do. 

In UK maybe?

To answer the question of the OP 2020 was extremely underwhelming.  For some artists when you hit a certain level of wealth you just stop being motivated to do much. Some artists never stop being obsessed with their craft and sharing it no matter how wealthy they become. Unfortunately for all of us Guns is not one of those artists. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, Italian girl said:

I don't know if other artists do it for the fans or for money.

btw, gnr doesn't do anything, neither for the fans nor for money

There are several things other bands did just to keep in touch with their fans. No money related things ! For example: Skid Row‘ s Scotti Hill always posted on Insta what he was doing during the pandemic, he interacted and responded to fans. 
Offspring did many reposts in their insta stories of videos fans sent them - it gives a fan a great feeling if a band reposts their post... 

bon jovi did Q & A sessions for his fans, Skid Row asked their fans what merch we would like to have and constantly kept wishing us all the best and so on. 

bands did jams , worked on albums....

GNR just did nothing. No interaction with the fans , just repost pictures of old shows, who cares man?!  No message of hope for the fans - as a band they are a complete joke

My love for them has diminished step by step since 2018 , childrens book s from fernando s family are just the icing on the cake. I ‚m not interested in this kind of brand, pardon „band“

• Like 2

We could be brutally honest here and should be.

The fact that Richard Fortus had time to produce the Psychedelic Furs album, that sounded fantastic shows there was things to do this year.

They’re a cash cow fucking live band nowadays. If I revisit this in 2021 and there’s an album, I’ll take a dick up the ass. Happily.

• Like 1

I want to first acknowledge that I do want a new album very much, but I do feel like if they can't capitalize on a new album by touring currently it wouldn't be worth it to release it currently. If they had already released a reunion album then I'd be on the train of why haven't you released one during the lockdown. But seeing as they haven't yet released a reunion album I don't think it would be right in a way to release one during the lockdown. That being said if they released CD2 or some compilation of demos from the CD era it would be fine but not a proper album at this time. 

I think they could have done more, but I don't think an album is the answer until things get better.