North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

3 hours ago, prez said:

As it is right now I don't see an uptick in sales occurring naturally. It's going to take money in promotion and the band will have to become more visible. I'd suggest a few TV appearances (Kimmel, Colbert, playing Jungle or Sweet Child as a musical guest, that sort of thing). I know Axl has an aversion to interviews unless the topics are strictly controlled, so I don't see the band doing Stern, but it wouldn't be a bad way to get attention. Bottom line is more people need to know GnR is touring this summer. The Metlife show is selling very poorly and that's the #1 market in the country.

The band doesn’t have to do any promotion because they are guaranteed a payday regardless. I’m sure the shows will sale well enough to turn a profit once the general public knows for certain concerts will open this summer. Once it’s a fact, then the concert sales should be okay.

Yeah but once people see the same old same old, the interest will fade. 
It's up to the band. And I think just adding PTU or Hard School will only keep folks coming for the first year or so. 

Edited by jamillos

So this tour is scheduled to start in about 6-7 weeks.  Who thinks this is going off as currently scheduled?  Not sure about other markets but Minneapolis has shitloads of tix to move and we’ve had zero marketing.  I’ve been all over the board but starting to think we’re not getting our summer shows again.  

59 minutes ago, Original said:

So this tour is scheduled to start in about 6-7 weeks.  Who thinks this is going off as currently scheduled?  Not sure about other markets but Minneapolis has shitloads of tix to move and we’ve had zero marketing.  I’ve been all over the board but starting to think we’re not getting our summer shows again.  

Looks like MetLife is going through with their show on Aug 5th. Guess we will be having some events after all this year. 

10 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Looks like MetLife is going through with their show on Aug 5th. Guess we will be having some events after all this year. 

Aren’t the MetLife tickets selling really poorly tho? That’s what someone else on this forum was saying, at least. Tours from other artists have been canceled in the past due to weak ticket sales, so the same could happen here, for all we know.

At this point it seems fairly clear that shows can happen. 

That said, ticket sales are poor and there hasn’t been a substantial investment into promotion or a new opener/co-headliner. Its frustrating because if these baseball stadium shows get cancelled or pushed I’d probably go to SummerFest. Hopefully we get confirms one way or another this week.

• Like 1

It's amazing to think so many of you still think it's about a new album or music being played at a live show. 

America has and is still going through a pandemic that has killed millions of people. 

Things will never be the same.. regardless of a new album or song being played. 

I cannot remember having to have a COVID-19 test or proof of vaccination to gain entry into an event before COVID-19 appeared around the world. 

That in itself takes a percentage of the population out of the equation.. 

In New Zealand were we have avoided the pandemic, our border is still closed to a vast majority of the world and our tourism industry wiil never recover from the pandemic. 

And many of you continue to think marketing by the band and an album is the issue.

Far out...

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

It's amazing to think so many of you still think it's about a new album or music being played at a live show. 

America has and is still going through a pandemic that has killed millions of people. 

Sometimes when you’re surrounded by shitty stuff you put a lot of hope into things that bring you joy. Like music. 

What’s the point in the masks, social distancing, vaccines, etc. if it doesn’t end with me waiting in a beer line while Axl sings The Seeker? 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

I cannot remember having to have a COVID-19 test or proof of vaccination to gain entry into an event before COVID-19 appeared around the world. 

In New Zealand were we have avoided the pandemic, our border is still closed to a vast majority of the world and our tourism industry wiil never recover from the pandemic. 

And many of you continue to think marketing by the band and an album is the issue.

Far out...

Have you actually read the thread? Who is claiming an album is coming? What everyone has actually said is that this tour will be the same old same old, with zero expectations of anything new. 

I know you've never let facts get in the way of stopping by to post bullshit here but I like to point it out anyway. 

While I'm at it, here's some other facts you got wrong: it's not America that went through a pandemic, it's the world. The world includes New Zealand, which was effected by the pandemic as well. 

Also, tourism and the live concert industry are already coming back. They'll both be in full swing by the end of 2021 at the very latest. 

Oh and again; no one is claiming a new album is coming and that's the hold up on a tour. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kiwiguns said:

That in itself takes a percentage of the population out of the equation.. 

Far out...

I agree with parts, however I think the tourism and other industries will get back on their feet, but it'll take 3-5yrs. Also there isn't much speculation here that gnr are gearing up for an album... thst seems to be your take on things but from what I read almost nobody expects it.

Edited by Tom2112

I believe it will come down to ticket sales. In NJ, concerts will be able to max attendance as of June 4th. I was bummed about Rammstein being moved....again.... I think festival dates are going to be the best bet at seeing Guns live this year, as far as being able to sell tickets and not having to worry about the show being canceled due to low sales,  since people are paying to see multiple bands instead of one. 

Edited by HollyWoodRose84
Typooooosssss
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I believe it will come down to ticket sales. In NJ, concerts will be able to max attendance as of June 4th. I was bummed about Rammstein being moved....again.... I think festival dates are going to be the best bet at seeing Guns live this year, as far as being able to sell tickets and not having to worry about the show being canceled to low sales,  since people are paying to see multiple bands instead of one. 

Also, no pressure on gnr to put a new setlist together if it's just festival shows!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I believe it will come down to ticket sales. In NJ, concerts will be able to max attendance as of June 4th. I was bummed about Rammstein being moved....again.... I think festival dates are going to be the best bet at seeing Guns live this year, as far as being able to sell tickets and not having to worry about the show being canceled due to low sales,  since people are paying to see multiple bands instead of one. 

Yeah I have a feeling this may be the nature of almost all touring for major music artists for the immediate future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stryker said:

Shouldn’t read too much into Rammstein since they’re international, but interesting that this reporter can’t get a straight answer on GnR from LiveNation.

Keep in mind that the singer did get COVID last year. There could still be some lingering affects. 

• Like 1

If they were to postpone these US shows though, would it really make a difference in terms of ticket sales picking up? I'd have thought it wouldn't personally. I'm not sure promotion is key here- surely everyone knows they're happening and they've been well advertised? 

My take on it is simply that the venues are too big and they've toured NITL into the ground now, especially in the US. I don't think there's much can be done about that other than laying off touring or radically changing things up.  

Edited by allwaystired

41 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Keep in mind that the singer did get COVID last year. There could still be some lingering affects. 

No, he hasn't had covid, so also no lingering effects

Edited by EricA

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If they were to postpone these US shows though, would it really make a difference in terms of ticket sales picking up? I'd have thought it wouldn't personally. I'm not sure promotion is key here- surely everyone knows they're happening and they've been well advertised? 

My take on it is simply that the venues are too big and they've toured NITL into the ground now, especially in the US. I don't think there's much can be done about that other than laying off touring or radically changing things up.  

They'll have to go the Motley Crue route and start their own traveling festival. 'Rose Fest' starts now. Doug Goldstein was ahead of his time. :axl:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Stryker said:

Sometimes when you’re surrounded by shitty stuff you put a lot of hope into things that bring you joy. Like music. 

What’s the point in the masks, social distancing, vaccines, etc. if it doesn’t end with me waiting in a beer line while Axl sings The Seeker? 

I agree with you. I saw GNR several times on the never-ending NITL tour. It got a little boring after a while. A new album would be great. A new setlist would be cool. That said, after basically being home for 15 months now, you better believe if they play MetLife in August I will be there, tailgating beforehand, having a few beers during the show, and enjoying the hell out of whatever they decide to play. (Even "The Seeker").

Edited to add... I bet if they promoted these shows as "live music is back!", you'd sell out the stadiums easily with people similarly eager to party like its 2019

Edited by goneshootin
added a sentence
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

I agree with you. I saw GNR several times on the never-ending NITL tour. It got a little boring after a while. A new album would be great. A new setlist would be cool. That said, after basically being home for 15 months now, you better believe if they play MetLife in August I will be there, tailgating beforehand, having a few beers during the show, and enjoying the hell out of whatever they decide to play. (Even "The Seeker").

Edited to add... I bet if they promoted these shows as "live music is back!", you'd sell out the stadiums easily with people similarly eager to party like its 2019

That’s the thing. Ticket sales were poor prior to the pandemic, not because of the pandemic. The problem now is that public health, local guidelines and restrictions have been in such a state of flux that it’s not giving LiveNation the confidence or time to promote these shows. 

If they put some money into advertising these shows, and gave people confidence that they will happen, I think they’d be able to fill stadiums to a profitable level. People are starved for live entertainment.

Edited by Stryker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stryker said:

That’s the thing. Ticket sales were poor prior to the pandemic, not because of the pandemic. The problem now is that public health, local guidelines and restrictions have been in such a state of flux that it’s not giving LiveNation the confidence or time to promote these shows. 

If they put some money into advertising these shows, and gave people confidence that they will happen, I think they’d be able to fill stadiums to a profitable level. People are starved for live entertainment.

How much money are they willing to sink into promotion tho? Live Nation is probably bleeding cash still due to the pandemic in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Stryker said:

I agree with you 100%. 

• Like 1