North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Did it really sell that bad? I remember at the beginning there being a lot of schadenfreude that they weren't selling out, but when the dates got closer and people saw what a great show it was, it did pretty well?

I didn’t hear about that, but maybe you’re right. The show I went to at TD Garden Arena was only about 75% full. But i think it was early in the tour, tbf.

• Like 1

Another major concert announced at MetLife in August. If GnR doesn’t happen, it will be tough to point to any other reason besides complete lack of interest.

One wild theory I have: maybe LiveNation and the venues see an upside in a partially attended show, where they can test out different procedures without dealing with max capacity.

Edited by Stryker
  • GNFNR 1

Just now, Stryker said:

It really makes me wonder what would have happened if there was no pandemic. What was their plan?

Now they can just blame the miserable sales on the pandemic.

Yeah, I wonder that too. I've said this many times before.....but why on earth did they book stadiums after numerous Arena runs in the US? It just makes no sense, and never did. 

I really don't see anyway to boost these ticket sales other than massive giveaways now. If they postpone, they're just moving the issue down the road. Unless something changes they won't sell. 

There's also the thought that maybe there IS nothing they can do? They've eroded their fanbase for a long long time now, and the people that came out for the early NITL runs I wouldn't class as GNR fans especially. They went along out of a combination of hype, fear of missing out and box ticking and moved on. Any attempts to appeal to them now is probably wasted - as they probably weren't that bothered in the first place. Hell, there were people around me at the shows I went to who thought Coma was a new song! Obviously they were decked head to toe in GNR merch, playing the part, but that stuff will have been cast aside now and they've moved on. 

I'd say it's like any business - you have to cultivate your audience and continually work them if you want them to be there. That hasn't happened for so long now, and the sales seem to show that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd guess that the US and Oz/Nz shows will sell, but by the time they hit Europe next year the shine will be off. Look, they'll always sell to the not sop clued in fans so there's a few thousand straight away. Problem fans are people who follow rock music closer, watch a few videos and judge if the band is of quality before spending... anyone doing that is not going to be impressed. The next problem is fans like us who do the former, but also do multiple shows so we've seen the set-list and are so tired of it we're ready to stay home rather than go another time. GNR are dumb as shit if they forego those two sections of their fanbase and plough on business as usual. My bet is business as usual and in about a years time once concerts are back as normal things to do, GNR will be having major difficulties selling an 80000 capacity stadium. We have "no idea what's going on" called the lull in sales 2yrs before it happened, while Fernando and GNR were walking around head in their arse thinking they were always going be the biggest tour no matter what. 

100%

I just emailed the writer of the Mpls Startribune music critic who wrote article that wrote Target Field representatives confirmed the Guns N' Roses and Green Day concerts will roll over to 2022”?. 

I'll let ya know if/what he says.  I asked for clarification/more info on that.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Original said:

I just emailed the writer of the Mpls Startribune music critic who wrote article that wrote Target Field representatives confirmed the Guns N' Roses and Green Day concerts will roll over to 2022”?. 

I'll let ya know if/what he says.  I asked for clarification/more info on that.  

Just realized they were wrong about Green Day. Interesting.

Startribune critic/reporter responded right away-

Thanks for your email. No further word about GNR. But a Target Field rep told one of our reporters that the concert isn’t happening this year. As you probably know, Live Nation/Ticketmaster operates in strange ways. So does Axl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Wow 1

29 minutes ago, Rjuncajun said:

I know I'm in the minority here and really part of the problem... but wherever GnR is close, no matter, I'm going. 

They've been my fav band since the 80s and as long as the big 3 are together, I'm seeing them.... for 20 years I didn't think I'd get the chance to see then together again... when the reunion happened, I jumped on the tickets as quickly as possible.  I've seen them multiple times on NITL tour and look forward to going again.   

Obviously, I'd LOVE new music.  Nonetheless, I'm a sucker (I suppose), and will continue to go and enjoy. 

Nah, you're not a part of the problem and you're not a sucker. It's all about perceived value for your dollar. 

You see value in spending money to see a GN'R concert and that's just fine. The only way you'd be a sucker or part of the problem is if you were like me and others on here who bitch up a storm about but then you gave GN'R money anyway. 

If you or anyone else sees value in a GN'R show, then tear it up! Don't let me or anyone else tell that you that's not OK. While I personally am sitting tours out until they release new material or significantly change the show, I honestly hope the people that go have a great time :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rjuncajun said:

I know I'm in the minority here and really part of the problem... but wherever GnR is close, no matter, I'm going. 

They've been my fav band since the 80s and as long as the big 3 are together, I'm seeing them.... for 20 years I didn't think I'd get the chance to see then together again... when the reunion happened, I jumped on the tickets as quickly as possible.  I've seen them multiple times on NITL tour and look forward to going again.   

Obviously, I'd LOVE new music.  Nonetheless, I'm a sucker (I suppose), and will continue to go and enjoy. 

Might be unpopular, but I agree with this in a sense. At the end of the day, no one should judge how someone decides to spend their hard-earned money. That's up to them. It's entirely possible to simultaneously be disgruntled or upset with the direction (or lack thereof) of the band while also wanting to have a fun night out with your friends/family (especially after the year we've all just had). 

This is coming from someone who wants new music more than anyone. I'm all about people having a good time and if that means going out to see Guns N' Roses in 2021 then more power to them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Original said:

Startribune critic/reporter responded right away-

Thanks for your email. No further word about GNR. But a Target Field rep told one of our reporters that the concert isn’t happening this year. As you probably know, Live Nation/Ticketmaster operates in strange ways. So does Axl.

So how is this tour supposed to go along? Will they play half of the Shows this year and the rest in 2022? Will they only play the dates they can do in 2021 and cancel the Rest (maybe also because the sales are poor)? Will they move the whole tour to 2022? But then again they play Europe next Summer, and outdoor venues in the north of the US can be a pain in the ass during the fall. And I don’t see them playing the US shows immediately after Europe like they did in summer 2017, Axl needs some rest 

I don’t know how they’re gonna work that out 

Just been pointed out to me that if you look for Chicago Wrigley Field standing tickets it informs you: 

Guns N' Roses

Wednesday 07/21/21, 6:00PM CDT

Wrigley Field Chicago, IL

•   Some Seats in your Cart have Restrictions!
  • Seat [FLDGA2]: Covid-19 Vaccination Required
  • If you do not want these seats, you must REMOVE or REPLACE the offer from the cart to release the seats.

....which means it's presumably happening, as long as you have a Covid vaccination. Has this been communicated to people with tickets? 

Edited by allwaystired

3 hours ago, Rjuncajun said:

As long as Slash remains in the band I will keep going too as well.  I don't think the lineup is very good at all but I will still go, get drunk and have a good time as long as they are doing it. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Just been pointed out to me that if you look for Chicago Wrigley Field standing tickets it informs you: 

Guns N' Roses

Wednesday 07/21/21, 6:00PM CDT

Wrigley Field Chicago, IL

•   Some Seats in your Cart have Restrictions!
  • If you do not want these seats, you must REMOVE or REPLACE the offer from the cart to release the seats.

....which means it's presumably happening, as long as you have a Covid vaccination. Has this been communicated to people with tickets? 

That’s odd. 

4 hours ago, Rjuncajun said:

It's always easier to say you're not going to see them anymore ahead of time, too. Once they come to town I think just about every fan here at least thinks about it, even the most disinterested/pessimistic about GNR (where many of us are now)

I don't think the lack of new music or redundant sets is the problem. Most casual fans would be very happy with the crappy setlist from that last show in Mexico. I just think they overestimated the appeal of the band. Very few hard rock bands can fill stadiums. GNR in 2016 was a reunion that people had wanted for decades. Metallica did a stadium tour in 2017 but they hadn't toured the US in 8 years. GNR (with Slash) will be an arena act forever but their window to be a stadium band on their own closed after 2017.

13 minutes ago, prez said:

I don't think the lack of new music or redundant sets is the problem. Most casual fans would be very happy with the crappy setlist from that last show in Mexico. I just think they overestimated the appeal of the band. Very few hard rock bands can fill stadiums. GNR in 2016 was a reunion that people had wanted for decades. Metallica did a stadium tour in 2017 but they hadn't toured the US in 8 years. GNR (with Slash) will be an arena act forever but their window to be a stadium band on their own closed after 2017.

Metallica and GNR need to tour one more time together.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, prez said:

If they intend to tour with the same show until they retire, I think they'll end up back in Vegas doing residencies before it's all said and done.

On their last US tour they were down to a few arenas, and couple theaters/smaller venues (4000~ capacity) and some festivals. I know GNR fans hate to admit it, but the band is now a Motley Crue-tier nostalgia band, or maybe barely above that tier... which is just fucking sad.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If they intend to tour with the same show until they retire, I think they'll end up back in Vegas doing residencies before it's all said and done.

On their last US tour they were down to a few arenas, and couple theaters/smaller venues (4000~ capacity) and some festivals. I know GNR fans hate to admit it, but the band is now a Motley Crue-tier nostalgia band, or maybe barely above that tier... which is just fucking sad.

I still don’t see GNR as a nostalgic band. The band is still powerful live. Motley Crue isn’t comparable to GNR. 

yeah I'm still going to go to GNR shows as long as Slash is in the band.  I'm wondering what gimmick they will resort to to sell tickets though.  I was thinking that it would be cool to get a free download of the new album (if there is one) when you buy a ticket, but I don't think anything is free in the GNR world anymore. 

how poor do ticket sales need to get before we have an AFD5 reunion/ tour?

13 hours ago, EvanG said:

Did it really sell that bad? I remember at the beginning there being a lot of schadenfreude that they weren't selling out, but when the dates got closer and people saw what a great show it was, it did pretty well?

the bigger cities did ok but outside of that is was spotty- had a great time though. That always felt like a bit of an overreach from the word go, they were only really an arena band for a small window in the 90's.

There is a reason they only did like two shows outside of NA, promoters in Europe wanted them to play smaller venues but Billy would only do THAT show.

Edited by WVsax27

On 5/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Fuck, i should have waited to buy tickets, lol.

They are continuously giving away tickets on local radio.

Must be really struggling to sell the same show to the public again.

If they announced it was in support of a new album then things would be totally different. A renewed interest. 

17 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

I still don’t see GNR as a nostalgic band. The band is still powerful live. Motley Crue isn’t comparable to GNR. 

If you can watch the 2019 Selects and honestly still call them a powerful live band, then I don't know what to tell you, we simply disagree. They really should have ended the tour after 2017... Axl was already sounding tired then, but the 2018-20 recordings are just depressing to listen to, it sounds like his voice was on its last legs, and the band sounded quite bored for the most part. 2016-17 was also a cash-grab but at least it was exciting... 2018-20 is purely a bunch of professional performers going through the motions for a payday.

And now that I really think about it, maybe the Motley Crue comparison isn't fair - at least Motley released a live album/dvd of their reunion tour, plus a full album and a few other songs, not to mention The Dirt and its soundtrack. They coasted through tour after tour playing basically the same setlist for years with a deteriorating frontman, but at least they also played their most popular album in full and their traveling festival was a cool idea. I almost can't believe GNR have reached a point where they make Motley fucking Crue look this good by comparison, yet here we are...

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If you can watch the 2019 Selects and honestly still call them a powerful live band, then I don't know what to tell you, we simply disagree. They really should have ended the tour after 2017... Axl was already sounding tired then, but the 2018-20 recordings are just depressing to listen to, it sounds like his voice was on its last legs, and the band sounded quite bored for the most part. 2016-17 was also a cash-grab but at least it was exciting... 2018-20 is purely a bunch of professional performers going through the motions for a payday.

And now that I really think about it, maybe the Motley Crue comparison isn't fair - at least Motley released a live album/dvd of their reunion tour, plus a full album and a few other songs, not to mention The Dirt and its soundtrack. They coasted through tour after tour playing basically the same setlist for years with a deteriorating frontman, but at least they also played their most popular album in full and their traveling festival was a cool idea. I almost can't believe GNR have reached a point where they make Motley fucking Crue look this good by comparison, yet here we are...

I was at a 2019 show and it was a great show. The selects are just garbage. Embarrassing, actually. Slash loves to play live. He’s not bored up on that stage. Either is Duff. However, the band need one last album and one last proper tour. Then call it a day because Axl doesn’t have the drive anymore.