06/04/22 - Lisbon, PT - Passeio Martimo De Alges

alfierose

20 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

The thing about the setlist- yes it is repetitive but GN'R have so few songs. They aren't like other bands that can vary things up. They're already playing for around 3 hours with all their big hits included and a small bit of rotation on deeper cuts.

They essentially have 3 full albums from the classic era and Chinese. 

even with Gn'R's small catalog, there are still many songs that are not played at all and are not too challenging for Axl to sing imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

The thing about the setlist- yes it is repetitive but GN'R have so few songs. They aren't like other bands that can vary things up. They're already playing for around 3 hours with all their big hits included and a small bit of rotation on deeper cuts.

They essentially have 3 full albums from the classic era and Chinese. 

This topic tends to be recurrent here. Yes, their catalogue is small. But there are still quite some songs left that could be played. But the main thing is: it’s about alternation. There are probably some 5 staples that will always be played – WTTJ, SCOM, PC, plus NR and KOHD (they’re not going anywhere, are they). Then also probably ISE and Brownstone will be played. Anything else can alternate. RQ or YCBM could alternate with something else. DC with Patience. There’s no reason to keep playing CD when it could be switched for a different song (Prostitute? Shackler?). There are songs on UYI and Lies (or at least Spaghetti, instead of those stale covers from NITL) which are not played. And if you mix it up like this, you keep the excitement and the element of surprise, as people won’t know what’s gonna be played that evening, yet the band doesn’t have to add anything new just to achieve this element. Include some covers and there you go with a fresh set that won’t get boring within a few months.
Even if they come up with something new (like now), it gets flat if it’s played round and round. No, I’m not asking for a completely different set without the basic staples, that’s not possible for a band like GN’R. But slightly more changes would do it. Do you remember the beginning of 2016? They kept adding/alternating songs, and we didn’t know what the hell would be each night’s surprise, while we (and the casuals) still got to hear the biggest hits. That’s what I’m talking about. But I guess they’re usually too lazy to do that. It is exciting now, but so was NITL when it started...

Edit: Plus, bands tend to stick with more rigid setlists when they release a new album and want the tracks to be heard, which is understandable. That is, however, not the case of Guns N' Roses, is it.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

Great to see some of the fast rockers getting a play, over all its a great setlist. A long show that could be trimmed down quite a bit, but shouldnt complain about that. 

Reckless

SOYL

CRAZY

There's just songs now that Axl is really struggling with. Listening to WTTJ was just sad honestly, and he has been ale to pull that one of pretty well over the years.

Drop Better, Coma, YCBM,  or anything that just doesnt sound good anymore.

Add songs that Axl can sing in his lower register:

You aint the first ,Bad Obsession, DONT CRY + PATIENCE should always be played,Pretty Tied Up, Move to the City

I would love to see a set like:

PRETTY TIED UP/ALTERNATE WITH YOU COULD BE MINE 

ISE

BROWNSTONE

RECKLESS

DTTJ

WTTJ

LALD (for pleasing the larger crowd)

YOUR CRAZY

ABSURD

HARD SKOOL

SOYL

SCOM

BAD OBSESSION

MOVE TO THE CITY

NOVEMBER RAIN

ROCKET QUEEN

USED TO LOVE HER

KOHD-SHORTENED

NIGHTRAIN

ENCORE

ESTRANGED

DONT CRY/PATIENCE

MY MICHELLE/or something else a bit faster 

PARADISE CITY

Obviously new songs - but Axl should try and stick to the low register tracks or the fast  rockers hes seems okay with pulling off.

I think setlist complaints is a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand it'd be great if they made a massive overhaul. But if they did the shows would have no new surprises going forward; they only have a tiny catalogue to choose from and aren't really releasing new music. So I think adding "new" old songs in dribs and drabs like they have been doing makes most sense. It allows them to continue milking the back catalogue much longer while also keeping us diehards somewhat happy and hopeful. 

Edited by thomasmcole

14 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

GNR was never about explosions fire works and stuff, it's a live band that can actually perform, and dont need distractions. They only have 4,5 albums, and play around 3 hours or more, giving their %100 most of the time, so it is pointless to criticize the setlists, they dont have 10-15 albums where %70 is crap like some other bands and choose from 200 songs, where you'd only stay for their 4-5 songs.

Unfortunately, this band is the epitome of colossal talent waste in the history of music. This is what should be criticized all the time.

Regarding Lisbon, it was a better tour start, we always seen them getting better as they advanced, especially axl has always been a slow starter, but not much this time.

They weren't about fireworks and pyro etc when they were releasing new music, off their face on drugs and genuinely the baddest band on the planet. they didn't need all that stuff. the spectacle was them on stage. but now they're charging waaay more than in 1991 (inflation considered) and they're not badasses anymore, they're not releasing new music, they're not racing round the stage and captivating the audience. So they have to offer more. If GnR want to be more punk, then they can play smaller arenas and get down and dirty and make it a punk experience. They're about as punk as the queen is these days. If all those other bands can do it, so can they. the only other band of similar stature that dont do it, are the chilli peppers. and they are shite live. 90 minutes, not great vocals and gone. every other band gives you the full experience. If they aren;t giving us new songs, amazing stage show, or being captivating badasses MFs, then charge 50% less for the tickets. That's why it's a cash grab. They're charging premium prices for a standard show

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

This topic tends to be recurrent here. Yes, their catalogue is small. But there are still quite some songs left that could be played. But the main thing is: it’s about alternation. There are probably some 5 staples that will always be played – WTTJ, SCOM, PC, plus NR and KOHD (they’re not going anywhere, are they). Then also probably ISE and Brownstone will be played. Anything else can alternate. RQ or YCBM could alternate with something else. DC with Patience. There’s no reason to keep playing CD when it could be switched for a different song (Prostitute? Shackler?). There are songs on UYI and Lies (or at least Spaghetti, instead of those stale covers from NITL) which are not played. And if you mix it up like this, you keep the excitement and the element of surprise, as people won’t know what’s gonna be played that evening, yet the band doesn’t have to add anything new just to achieve this element. Include some covers and there you go with a fresh set that won’t get boring within a few months.
Even if they come up with something new (like now), it gets flat if it’s played round and round. No, I’m not asking for a completely different set without the basic staples, that’s not possible for a band like GN’R. But slightly more changes would do it. Do you remember the beginning of 2016? They kept adding/alternating songs, and we didn’t know what the hell would be each night’s surprise, while we (and the casuals) still got to hear the biggest hits. That’s what I’m talking about. But I guess they’re usually too lazy to do that. It is exciting now, but so was NITL when it started...

Edit: Plus, bands tend to stick with more rigid setlists when they release a new album and want the tracks to be heard, which is understandable. That is, however, not the case of Guns N' Roses, is it.

Agree, bands also tend to stiick with the same setlist when they have a proper stage show, when pyro needs to go off, when stage props need to come out, when certain lighting etc to make it easier for the crew. GnR dont have that. just some guy playing a video of a car with skeleton driving through futuristic streets. maybe occasionally a hot skeleton chick pops up on screen too and starts riding another skeleton. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

They weren't about fireworks and pyro etc when they were releasing new music, off their face on drugs and genuinely the baddest band on the planet. they didn't need all that stuff. the spectacle was them on stage. but now they're charging waaay more than in 1991 (inflation considered) and they're not badasses anymore, they're not releasing new music, they're not racing round the stage and captivating the audience. So they have to offer more. If GnR want to be more punk, then they can play smaller arenas and get down and dirty and make it a punk experience. They're about as punk as the queen is these days. If all those other bands can do it, so can they. the only other band of similar stature that dont do it, are the chilli peppers. and they are shite live. 90 minutes, not great vocals and gone. every other band gives you the full experience. If they aren;t giving us new songs, amazing stage show, or being captivating badasses MFs, then charge 50% less for the tickets. That's why it's a cash grab. They're charging premium prices for a standard show

You keep bring up the cost of the ticket. I can tell you that in the most expensive part of the United States (NJ/NYC area) the tickets that I paid for last year at MetLife Stadium was about $130 with fees. That's the average ticket. Red  Hot Chili Peppers are charging $250 face value. Fees are not included and these were not resell.  The Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison concerts is about $$250 as well with no fees.  Out of the rock genre, Metallica charges the most amount per average ticket.  https://loudwire.com/study-classic-rock-concert-tickets-most-expensive/

4 minutes ago, draguns88 said:

You keep bring up the cost of the ticket. I can tell you that in the most expensive part of the United States (NJ/NYC area) the tickets that I paid for last year at MetLife Stadium was about $130 with fees. That's the average ticket. Red  Hot Chili Peppers are charging $250 face value. Fees are not included and these were not resell.  The Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison concerts is about $$250 as well with no fees.  Out of the rock genre, Metallica charges the most amount per average ticket.  https://loudwire.com/study-classic-rock-concert-tickets-most-expensive/

In UK GnR was more than chillis and Metalica. Golden circle was £170, standing £100 and seated around £90. so add 25% on for dollar conversion. obv thats not including the vip tix which are much much more. Again i would argue in comparison to the stage show you get with the others its not the same. The stage sow you get with Madonna for example. you are getting your moneys worth (if you are a madonna fan of course) GnR you have to remember are on their 3rd tour of europe, after 3 US and SA tours of the same reunion at the same prices. it's not value for money if you've seen them before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

In UK GnR was more than chillis and Metalica. Golden circle was £170, standing £100 and seated around £90. so add 25% on for dollar conversion. obv thats not including the vip tix which are much much more. Again i would argue in comparison to the stage show you get with the others its not the same. The stage sow you get with Madonna for example. you are getting your moneys worth (if you are a madonna fan of course) GnR you have to remember are on their 3rd tour of europe, after 3 US and SA tours of the same reunion at the same prices. it's not value for money if you've seen them before.

The bolded thing is what it's all about. I think GNR is value for money. Because every time I go, I have a great time and some unforgettable moments. The show I'm seeing this time was sold out in a few days, I believe. It's the third time since the reunion I'll be seeing them in Holland. Clearly enough people there think it's worth the money. It's completely subjective. (I know lots of people who wouldn't go watch GNR if you paid them too.) I'd rather go see GNR 5 times for the money some spend on a phone. I never get these discussions about it being worth the money.

Also: the Rolling Stones show in Belgium is more expensive than anywhere else. (As a result, it hasn't sold out yet.) It's not because the Stones think Belgians should pay more to see them, that's the promoter's decision. He obviously had to dig deep to get the Stones show, and he clearly thought he could ask those prices, because it's the Stones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nightrain7 said:

Great to see some of the fast rockers getting a play, over all its a great setlist. A long show that could be trimmed down quite a bit, but shouldnt complain about that. 

Reckless

SOYL

CRAZY

There's just songs now that Axl is really struggling with. Listening to WTTJ was just sad honestly, and he has been ale to pull that one of pretty well over the years.

You aint the first ,Bad Obsession, DONT CRY + PATIENCE should always be played,Pretty Tied Up, Move to the City

ISE

BROWNSTONE

RECKLESS

DTTJ

WTTJ

YOUR CRAZY

ABSURD

HARD SKOOL

SOYL

SCOM

BAD OBSESSION

MOVE TO THE CITY

NOVEMBER RAIN

ROCKET QUEEN

USED TO LOVE HER

KOHD-SHORTENED

NIGHTRAIN

ENCORE

ESTRANGED

DONT CRY/PATIENCE

PARADISE CITY

Obviously new songs - but Axl should try and stick to the low register tracks or the fast  rockers hes seems okay with pulling off.

Move to the City a very good shout. Always enjoyed that on the old Tokyo VHS

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, axlslash said:

Do we actually have ears on Axl singing on Reckless? This would be far from the first time they soundchecked an incredible setlist addition that Axl never sang on and never made it into the set. Looking at you, heavier update of Oh My God.

They soundchecked OMG? If so, was Axl singing?

Edited by Sweersa

I just listened to Reckless Life, Walk All Over you and YC...as a fan of Axl I must say he sounded horrible...I wonder what Slash and Duff think of his singing apart from the money grab, they must feel really bad.

And what deos Axl think...god it must be hard for one of the greatest singers to ever live, to admit his present singing capabilities but this just doesnt do Axl and GnR justice 

1 hour ago, thomasmcole said:

I think setlist complaints is a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand it'd be great if they made a massive overhaul. But if they did the shows would have no new surprises going forward; they only have a tiny catalogue to choose from and aren't really releasing new music. So I think adding "new" old songs in dribs and drabs like they have been doing makes most sense. It allows them to continue milking the back catalogue much longer while also keeping us diehards somewhat happy and hopeful. 

I agree! There are always people who see them for the first time and who love to hear the regular set/hits. They however performed 51(!) songs live since 2016. An average show lenght of 3(!) hours for a band who are in their late 50's or 60 in Axl's case. Not a lot of legendary rock bands from their generation have these kind of statistics. Pearl Jam is more of an exception. They are doing a fantastic job in rotating their songs. But most other bands have not played 50+ different songs the last 6 years. They could switch up the order of the songs, ditch covers in favour of originals etc., but I really don't feel we have to complain to much about what they gave us live since the reunion. 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:23 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

At MSG I was there sitting with Mickey Rourke for half of the show before he went backstage. It was either played at MSG or East Rutherford (Meadowland Arena Brendan Byrne Arena/Continental Airlines Arena/IZOD Center whatever it’s called now) because I remember being surprised when they pulled it out. Crazy (no pun intended) how those shows back then where almost 3/4 shorter than what we have been getting for the last 5 plus years. 

Hmm  i have both of these on bootleg and neither have Youre Crazy.

Of course it could be incomplete. But they seem to have no cuts.

Htgth dosent have Crazy noted on the setlist for those shows either.

But its listed being played in Greensboro and Huntington 2006 just the previous shows. Sadly there no recordings (that i habe atleast) 

Htgth noted that they played the electric version of Crazy. No mention of fast or not.

They could easily mix it up every night if the desire was there. 

Alternate Coma, Locomotive and Twat.

Better and OTGM. 

Michelle and Chinese

PTU, RNDTH, SOYL

DTJ and Reckless Life

The set list was great but it's beyond stale at this point. 

58 minutes ago, Lio said:

The bolded thing is what it's all about. I think GNR is value for money. Because every time I go, I have a great time and some unforgettable moments. The show I'm seeing this time was sold out in a few days, I believe. It's the third time since the reunion I'll be seeing them in Holland. Clearly enough people there think it's worth the money. It's completely subjective. (I know lots of people who wouldn't go watch GNR if you paid them too.) I'd rather go see GNR 5 times for the money some spend on a phone. I never get these discussions about it being worth the money.

Also: the Rolling Stones show in Belgium is more expensive than anywhere else. (As a result, it hasn't sold out yet.) It's not because the Stones think Belgians should pay more to see them, that's the promoter's decision. He obviously had to dig deep to get the Stones show, and he clearly thought he could ask those prices, because it's the Stones.

True, i always believed it to be value for money until now to be honest. but if you've seen them 3/4 times since reunion and many times before, it's too much to ask to see the same thing again. the shows do lack a certain edge. however if you see it as 'it's a night out listening to good songs' then fair enough, why not 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

even with Gn'R's small catalog, there are still many songs that are not played at all and are not too challenging for Axl to sing imo.

Vocally. U don't know anything about his emotions and other personal difficulties. That shit might be challenging too. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

GNR IS a premium band. A standard GNR show is better than anything for me. I love the band, the songs, the lyrics, how they perform, and they are all top notch apart from Axl's vocals, but he does his best every nite and still is better than anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

Reckless

SOYL

CRAZY

ISE

BROWNSTONE

RECKLESS

DTTJ

WTTJ

YOUR CRAZY

ABSURD

HARD SKOOL

SOYL

SCOM

BAD OBSESSION

MOVE TO THE CITY

NOVEMBER RAIN

ROCKET QUEEN

USED TO LOVE HER

KOHD-SHORTENED

NIGHTRAIN

ENCORE

ESTRANGED

DONT CRY/PATIENCE

PARADISE CITY

It’s funny as your post is very much like a post I made a while back and like hundreds of others. And that’s not a criticism of you at all - just that so many of us can see potential improvements to the overall experience AND delve into the catalogue! Although TBF…there was a few changes to this setlist so maybe there will be a few more changes over the tour.

4 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I just listened to Reckless Life, Walk All Over you and YC...as a fan of Axl I must say he sounded horrible...I wonder what Slash and Duff think of his singing apart from the money grab, they must feel really bad.

And what deos Axl think...god it must be hard for one of the greatest singers to ever live, to admit his present singing capabilities but this just doesnt do Axl and GnR justice 

I thought RL was OK and WAOY was pretty good to be honest! That said - I’m glad I’m seeing them about 12 shows into the tour where the vocals are likely to be as good as we will get.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1