06/04/22 - Lisbon, PT - Passeio Martimo De Alges

alfierose

Just now, Trin9498 said:

Bottom line? Sad people get excited about them playing covers over their own songs. Reality? Bullshit and strange. Hi 

They added Reckless Life and YC, as well as this AC/DC tune, I think people are just stoked for a few of the changes that occured

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’d be happy with Reckless Life and Hard Skool at a gig

That's a low bar, I mean it's great he prepared more than 2021... But this set is being hit with the 3rd attempt at cpr. 2-3 new additions to set is not worthy of happy, IMO. 

Axl sounded ok on what I've heard so that's a plus, but again the set is the same old tired NITL set and it's boring as it gets 6yrs in. The European tour was sold in 2019 as an "all new tour". Yes of course 2020 happened, but does that mean 2yrs later they just get to reneg on the promise? I believe there is at least a percentage of people who bought tickets believing there would be something bigger than two different songs in the set... Gnr didn't deliver anything meaningfully different. Good show? Yeah, but more of the same. IF I could see this tour I would be skipping it. Only thing that changes my mind is gnr turning this old tired set on its head and doing something actually different, don't care if they play new music or not, I just want to see a show where I don't know the beginning middle and end before I even buy the ticket.

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Haha- there's one of my 'GNR gig bingo' predictions.....keep em coming! 

It's funny how you didn't post anything after the positive reviews.  You opened your mouth the other day and in my post..  Maybe keep it quiet for a change rather than always criticizing. 

Edited by Draguns
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I just have to contrast GNR with the two Pearl Jam shows I caught last month - between two Pearl Jam shows there were only like 5-6 overlapping songs per set, and you never knew the order and which songs you were gonna get.  Now whether you personally like Pearl Jam or not - you gotta admit that that way of doing things is way more exciting

I get that PJ has released way more albums than GNR in the last 30 years but that also sort of highlights where we are at regarding GNR

PJ are great for mixing up their setlists. You can’t really compare the two of them though. Guns have been a spinal tap/ nostalgia act for most of the past 3 decades. 

• Like 1

TBH he sounded great on Reckless Life! There was a moment where it looked like the voice was collapsing, but after the solo not only did he come back but started to sing better and went to all the heights. 

I hope we'll see more videos from the gig, You're Crazy in particular. Looks like playing the fast songs with high vocals is the way to go - that's where he can nail it. Great first gig. Better needs to fuck off, and Coma should alternate. 

Also, people, please stop asking for Maddy and Seeker and Wichita and god knows what. They're not gonna play 40 songs, which means they'd have to drop the new stuff they're playing right now and revert to previous, boring setlists. Be glad they do something different now and stop bitching about missing songs, for Christ's sake. 

We need some pro-shot from TV. Even if just one or two songs - but not the usual SCOM/NR etc. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

It's cool to see the band back onstage and the set list is pretty cool. I'll enjoy it when I see it again in a few weeks. 

But again is the key word. It's essentially the same set as 2016 with some small changes in the middle.

Im very impressed with Axls performace and vocals! But thats because my expectations were set low! But I if he can sing like he did in Lisbon in Prague and London I will enjoy the shit out of the shows! For me the setlist is amazing! And I saw lots of you complaining about SC - NR - KOHD but for me that is special to hear those songs back to back. It has a certain mood. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Axl’s vocals have lost a lot of its character. But it doesn’t matter. He’s up there in age, can’t ask  his vocal chords to be fresh again. They all appear to be in great shape and some of the concert photos are badass now. Setlist seems amazing. Glad they are on the road again. Hope it’s a good tour!

• Like 1

A lot of videos are up on YouTube. Just filter for uploads within the last day. Incredible that they dusted off Reckless Life, I’ve always loved that song. 

In general, it’s great to see them mix it up a bit. While Better came under fire, it literally sounded no worse than performances from 2017 or 2018 and hearing Axl reach the notes in the bridge was immensely pleasing as I thought he’d lost that part of his register when hearing some of the 2021 performances. 

In regards to new music, it is what it is at this point. I’m glad I pulled the trigger on refunds for the 4 other shows I was planning on going to as I couldn’t justify parting with the money for nothing new to be played, but hopefully by the time the Glasgow show comes around, they’ll have at least dropped a new single.

I didn't really expect a new song right from the beginning. Keep the expectations low and be pleasantly surprised, that's the way I see it. Anyway, more alternations would be great. No need for Slither etc., the first three songs can be shuffled a bit as well. But in general, there were quite some nice surprises. 

• Like 3

Yeah I agree.

People who expect the set to change radically from tour to tour are deluding themselves. What we have, and what we have been having for many, many years now, are slow, gradual changes to setlist around a core set of songs that are staples. If you compare yesterday's setlist to a setlist from 2016, or 2010 or 206 or 2002, you will clearly see this. For more or less every tour they rehearse one or two new covers, dust of some deep cuts, and shuffle a bit. It might not be enough for some of us, but I think think it works wonders for the average concert-goer and it probably keeps things a bit interesting for the band as well.

Of course I would have wanted more deep cuts and even more shuffling, but that is unrealistic when looking at how this band has been doing things. Comparing to other bands is a waste of time.

• Like 4