06/04/22 - Lisbon, PT - Passeio Martimo De Alges

alfierose

I'm really torn. I've seen GnR 10 times since 2006. so many incarnations. (2010 was by far the best). The tickets are so expensive. I saw them twice in 2017 and once in 2018. My plan was to go get tickets on the day for Tottenham Hotspur Stadium july 2nd. I just don't know. It's not that i think this is a bad setlist, if anything it's quite good for a career spanning live show. But id be paying £170 (plus travel, plus food plus drinks) to basically see the 2 new songs, reckless life and a new acdc cover. People claiming you're crazy as 'New' they've played it loads, just the Lies version, it's hardly this awesome new track. 

It is a cash grab nostalgia band. there's nothing necessarily wrong with it, i just think the band and the fanbase struggle to accept or admit it. No Pyro, no massive fireworks or confetti, no attractive opener (gary clark jr is ok, but it's not shifting any extra tix is it, how about liam gallagher, smashing pumpkins, body count, billy idol, some of their 70s/80s punk idols etc) 

I like watching Kiss, for the show and visual aspect as much as the music. take that away you're seeing the same songs for 20+ years. GnR is that but without any crowd interaction, any cool stories, any visual aspects and any pyro. £170? I don't think I can do it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@JimiRose If you're local just go on the day and get a ticket outside, if you don't mind missing the very start you'll likely find the touts outside will take any amount rather than nothing at all. The nearer to the venue and start time prices drop massively.

yeah i do it for all gigs, its definitely the way forward. I got kiss for £30 and Muse for £40, both half price about 30 minutes before they went on which was cool. But I want Golden Circle if I can for GnR!

Also - I wonder if that's a thing in USA like it is in UK?

Edited by JimiRose
new thought
  • Like 1

Well if you look at some other stadium sized rock bands you can see that they also stick mostly to the same setlist. Take Rolling Stones, ACDC, Metallica(has been opening shows with hardwired for 6 years now). Maiden is an exception to this pattern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kranich said:

Well if you look at some other stadium sized rock bands you can see that they also stick mostly to the same setlist. Take Rolling Stones, ACDC, Metallica(has been opening shows with hardwired for 6 years now). Maiden is an exception to this pattern.

It's big production these days as opposed to when they, Guns as an example, were starting out. The lighting, the video screens, it's all choreographed so to speak to go with the song that is played.

21 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I'm really torn. I've seen GnR 10 times since 2006. so many incarnations. (2010 was by far the best). The tickets are so expensive. I saw them twice in 2017 and once in 2018. My plan was to go get tickets on the day for Tottenham Hotspur Stadium july 2nd. I just don't know. It's not that i think this is a bad setlist, if anything it's quite good for a career spanning live show. But id be paying £170 (plus travel, plus food plus drinks) to basically see the 2 new songs, reckless life and a new acdc cover. People claiming you're crazy as 'New' they've played it loads, just the Lies version, it's hardly this awesome new track. 

It is a cash grab nostalgia band. there's nothing necessarily wrong with it, i just think the band and the fanbase struggle to accept or admit it. No Pyro, no massive fireworks or confetti, no attractive opener (gary clark jr is ok, but it's not shifting any extra tix is it, how about liam gallagher, smashing pumpkins, body count, billy idol, some of their 70s/80s punk idols etc) 

I like watching Kiss, for the show and visual aspect as much as the music. take that away you're seeing the same songs for 20+ years. GnR is that but without any crowd interaction, any cool stories, any visual aspects and any pyro. £170? I don't think I can do it. 

You don't need to go gold circle. Normal standing is around £100 and seats as low as £90

5 minutes ago, ssiscool said:

@Axl_morris£90 is still high end on what i would call reasonably priced. The most i've paid is £80 and that was for the final Black Sabbath show.

It's London and that's standard price for stadium acts. Black Sabbath today would be £100. However GNR play for an hour longer than black Sabbath 

• Like 1

As others have said there are staples within the set and guns are eather unique in that they have so many large hits compared to total number of songs/albums.

What was good about yesterday (and they did this a little in 2021) is switching up where songs are played. For example last year switching jungle a few songs down, yesterday rocket queen towards the backend. Even without actual set changes that can lead to freshness and it absolute changes the flow of the set.

• Like 1

Just now, DurhamGirl said:

If this was a band you had gone to see for the first time, how would you have felt about them, including Axl's vocals?

From the clips I’ve seen Axl sounded fine. Slash is good, as always. Happy to see Reckless and the fast version of Crazy back in the mix.

8 hours ago, draguns88 said:

It's funny how you didn't post anything after the positive reviews.  You opened your mouth the other day and in my post..  Maybe keep it quiet for a change rather than always criticizing. 

Well, not really 'funny'- it was Saturday night and I was out with friends and not glued to the internet. 

Thanks for keeping an eye on my posting habits though. It's nice to have fans. 

Not that it matters, but I'm not sure how saying I wasn't watching streams and asking others what it was like qualifies as 'criticising' though. Still, good to see people keeping up with the cliche of telling anyone who dares to say anything not positive not to post anymore. 

Glad you enjoyed the streams so much. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

If this was a band you had gone to see for the first time, how would you have felt about them, including Axl's vocals?

If this was your first gnr concert I think you'd probably be so excited you wouldn't hear the flubs.

If you've been to loads of shows then you're going to have a bit more of a critical ear

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Among the crowd, feeling the push of music, hearing a 60 year old guy display a range and stamina beyond most younger singers, hitting notes that allude most? I would have a great fucking time. 

Yeah same. I'd doubtless have enjoyed last night. I'm always going to enjoy them live if I'm there.....and always be disappointed that they never live up to their potential as songwriters and artists! That's the way it is I suppose. 

Having said that though, I have no plans (yet) to attend this leg....but that's based largely on cost of living/ticket prices etc. Just can't justify it. 

Cheap/free tickets and I'm there in a shot. 

• GNFNR 1

What a shit show... zzzz

Waited all this time for them for the live return... an they add 1 old song of theirs and another cover song to the setlist...

Cash grab easy. This was the moment to scream... hey, we are GnR... we're back and we got the classics an we got some new shit we been working on, hope you enjoy the record an the show... but no

This is gnr after all... minor setlist tweaks, crap vocals again, no sign of something new, heck even a line up change since the last tours show would have been more wow than what show served up. The Aussie tour will be woeful and I ain't giving them a dime this time round... but I know the sheep n there masses will still praise it saying, they still rock... he sounds so good live... etc... an we'll all ignore the fact that this band died in 2016 after axl an slash played that 1st show again together an then parted ways, only living on in $$$$ for scrap tours. Rolling roses or guns n stones. That's all this puss is an the real fans know it... ;)

#bucketheadrulesnightrainsolo02

X

Edited by bumcheecksmcghee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Still, good to see people keeping up with the cliche of telling anyone who dares to say anything not positive not to post anymore. 

Oh please, he's right. There's a difference between giving fair criticism and constantly mocking this band, and that is what you do. Don't think it has gone unnoticed. There's a reason several posters have called you out on it. 

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Kranich said:

There are so many more you can add to that list. This is why I'll never understand the people who complain about the setlist. Many big acts do the same (or worse)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

What a shit show... zzzz

Waited all this time for them for the live return... an they add 1 old song of theirs and another cover song to the setlist...

Cash grab easy. This was the moment to scream... hey, we are GnR... we're back and we got the classics an we got some new shit we been working on, hope you enjoy the record an the show... but no

This is gnr after all... minor setlist tweaks, crap vocals again, no sign of something new, heck even a line up change since the last tours show would have been more wow than what show served up. The Aussie tour will be woeful and I ain't giving them a dime this time round... but I know the sheep n there masses will still praise it saying, they still rock... he sounds so good live... etc... an we'll all ignore the fact that this band died in 2016 after axl an slash played that 1st show again together an then parted ways, only living on in $$$$ for scrap tours. Rolling roses or guns n stones. That's all this puss is an the real fans know it... ;)

#bucketheadrulesnightrainsolo02

X

Harsh! 

I always have a smile at your username though- best one on here! 

• GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Harsh! 

I always have a smile at your username though- best one on here! 

Harsh but fair lol

Gnr will always be my number 1,

But their stale smell of inactivity has helped me broaden my music horizons.. example, mark lanegan... and down the rabbit hole of bands an solo work of his I delve an appreciation for someone with a unique voice and a catolgue of tunes not heard on fm radio every hour (scom) lol

And the user name thanks your kind words :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Well, not really 'funny'- it was Saturday night and I was out with friends and not glued to the internet. 

Not that it matters, but I'm not sure how saying I wasn't watching streams and asking others what it was like qualifies as 'criticising' though. Still, good to see people keeping up with the cliche of telling anyone who dares to say anything not positive not to post anymore. 

Then don't reply to someone's post. I wouldn't have mentioned anything, but you took the time to run your mouth on my post. Next time shut it and don't try to be cool on here by following with the crowd. That's all.  

Edited by Draguns

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

You post on a forum and you expect us to believe that you have friends!?

Next you'll be telling us you don't live with your parents. Madness!

45 minutes ago, draguns88 said:

Then don't reply to someone's post. I wouldn't have mentioned anything, but you took the time to run your mouth on my post. Next time shut it and don't try to be cool on here by following with the crowd. That's is all.  

Hold on, now you want me to 'shut it'? I'm confused! I thought you were complaining that I wasn't posting on a Saturday night? 

Feel free not to mention anything in future though. To any of the users you seem to spend this thread laying into. 

Thanks for the advice, but I'll continue to say whatever I like on a public forum. As will everyone else. 

I enjoy the 'tough guy' approach though. Very macho and 'Goodfellas'.