06/04/22 - Lisbon, PT - Passeio Martimo De Alges

alfierose

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s funny as your post is very much like a post I made a while back and like hundreds of others. And that’s not a criticism of you at all - just that so many of us can see potential improvements to the overall experience AND delve into the catalogue! Although TBF…there was a few changes to this setlist so maybe there will be a few more changes over the tour.

I thought RL was OK and WAOY was pretty good to be honest! That said - I’m glad I’m seeing them about 12 shows into the tour where the vocals are likely to be as good as we will get.

Yeah, we fans have lowered the bar insanely to accept this vocals as OK...If this wasnt Axl...man, I dont know what we would be saying  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thomasmcole said:

I think setlist complaints is a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand it'd be great if they made a massive overhaul. But if they did the shows would have no new surprises going forward; they only have a tiny catalogue to choose from and aren't really releasing new music. So I think adding "new" old songs in dribs and drabs like they have been doing makes most sense. It allows them to continue milking the back catalogue much longer while also keeping us diehards somewhat happy and hopeful. 

Finally someone gets it. If they came out and emptied their entire catalog they might as well retire cos they wouldn’t be able to keep booking these tours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

GNR IS a premium band. A standard GNR show is better than anything for me. I love the band, the songs, the lyrics, how they perform, and they are all top notch apart from Axl's vocals, but he does his best every nite and still is better than anyone. 

Still better than anyone?!?! Anyone?!?! Jesus, that is some blind, cultish fandom right there.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Finally someone gets it. If they came out and emptied their entire catalog they might as well retire cos they wouldn’t be able to keep booking these tours. 

Nobody is saying they should stop playing the songs in the current set. It's very clear that people want them to shake up the order so you don't know what's up next. Everybody here still wants to hear the hits as well as deep cuts.... Even the ones saying to cut SCOM etc.

Rotating the opener would be a great start. Simple but it means you can't say for sure what the next song will be. I get it that some people don't mind knowing what's coming, but for me the excitement of a show is the not knowing. Being there in person will always be fun, I don't think many here are saying otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

Here are the regular openers since 2001:

WTTJ: 2001 - 2007 (six years, Robin era) 

CD: 2009 - 2014 (six years, DJ era) 

ISE: 2016 - 2022 (seven years, Slash & Duff era) 

Having the same opening song for a couple of years is normal for GN'R. 

Edited by Sosso

Setlist debates are a difficult one as you have a band with very little material really, who like to play for a long time, and don't especially like change. Changing the order up would be fun though, I'd agree. 

The other dimension of course is the chronic lack of forward motion in terms of new material. That makes the setlist seem more dull than it would otherwise I think. If the setlist was absolutely identical for every leg of the tour for years, but there was a variety of new material inserted into it, say three or four songs each night, I don't think many would complain. It would seem far more dynamic. 

14 hours ago, klakly said:

If we are talking about international bands, I have seen U2, RHCP and in a few days the Stones, also at San Siro.
I will let you know how it went, but just at the thought of seeing Guns I am excited,.
I have been dreaming of seeing them live for years, but until now I had never been able to get tickets.

Mick Jagger is 79 next month his voice is brilliant for his age... You’ll definitely enjoy the stones, especially if this is your first gig of theirs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lio said:

Also: the Rolling Stones show in Belgium is more expensive than anywhere else. (As a result, it hasn't sold out yet.) It's not because the Stones think Belgians should pay more to see them, that's the promoter's decision. He obviously had to dig deep to get the Stones show, and he clearly thought he could ask those prices, because it's the Stones.

You can get 2 tickets to ALL Rolling Stone his for a maximum of $80. I’ve been doing it for the last 20+ years. I’ve seen them 14 times and never paid more than that. They run a link on their website to buy tickets in a lucky dip. 

• Wow 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Setlist debates are a difficult one as you have a band with very little material really, who like to play for a long time, and don't especially like change. Changing the order up would be fun though, I'd agree. 

The other dimension of course is the chronic lack of forward motion in terms of new material. That makes the setlist seem more dull than it would otherwise I think. If the setlist was absolutely identical for every leg of the tour for years, but there was a variety of new material inserted into it, say three or four songs each night, I don't think many would complain. It would seem far more dynamic. 

I complained about setlists maby times, but you have to consider (despite of our opinion) that business play a role here too: people who pay a ticket want to listen WTTJ, SCOM, NR and PC at least. Add a couple "take a break songs" like ISE or Brownstone and so the setlist is built up. Also GNR after the 90's didn't do acoustics or any other variant of the songs just for change, so it is what it is.

5 hours ago, Sosso said:

Here are the regular openers since 2001:

WTTJ: 2001 - 2007 (six years, Robin era) 

CD: 2009 - 2014 (six years, DJ era) 

ISE: 2016 - 2022 (seven years, Slash & Duff era) 

Having the same opening song for a couple of years is normal for GN'R. 

And ISE was the classic opener back in the day. So it makes sense on the reunion nostalgia circuit.

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

The other dimension of course is the chronic lack of forward motion in terms of new material. That makes the setlist seem more dull than it would otherwise I think.

Are you not aware that they recently added two new songs to the setlist, Absurd and Hard Skool? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Are you not aware that they recently added two new songs to the setlist, Absurd and Hard Skool? 

They could play 25 completely different songs and you would still have people who were complaining about the set list.

At each show there're probably a few 100 people AT THE VERY MOST who know the order of the songs. For thousands of others the setlist is a total surprise and they're just waiting for songs like SCOM, WTTJ and PC

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

And ISE probably lubes Axl's voice and gets him warmed up vocally. I don't obviously know for sure, but I guess that could be one of the reasons they keep it as an opener.

According to Duff, Axl does 1.5-hour warm-ups and warm-downs before every single show. Whether we believe it or not, he definitely does some vocal exercise, so I don't think the needs an extra 3-minute song to lube up or whatever. But yeah, he's been known to generally have used first gigs of tour legs as public rehearsals, no doubts. 

One thing that I think could breathe a bit more life into it even if there are only 2-3 set changes per show or tour leg, is a simple changing of the song order

Imagine the band starting the show with different openers and rotating them so you never know what you will get first - Nightrain, YCBM, Jungle, etc.  Not knowing when Brownstone or any other song would enter.  It would just give it a bit more freshness without the band having to do much

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

According to Duff, Axl does 1.5-hour warm-ups and warm-downs before every single show. Whether we believe it or not, he definitely does some vocal exercise, so I don't think the needs an extra 3-minute song to lube up or whatever. But yeah, he's been known to generally have used first gigs of tour legs as public rehearsals, no doubts. 

Yeah, that was just my own speculation. Like maybe it gets him confident and into the zone, because it's one of the more pleasant/easier songs to sing and because doing warm-ups (which I'm sure he does) is still different than taking the stage and performing and getting the energy going :book::headbang: 

But like I said, just my own speculation :P

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 3

Imagine if tonight they played OTGM, Michelle, Nice Boys, PTU, Locomotive, Don't Cry, TWAT, Maddy and another cover maybe. 

That's 9 or 10 songs they could easily change night on night if they wanted that would keep each show unique.