Hard School

I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than the demo we've heard, but I'll wait until we get a good quality recording with Axl singing until I can really judge it...

Kinda disappointed that the middle section follows basically the same structure as the demo, but it'll be interesting to see if there's more vocals in that part, as was rumoured quite a while ago.

Regardless of whether it's great or awful, if they actually play something new then I'll be happy about it.

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

For what it’s worth, I think this version is a lot better than the original demo. If the new album really is the village tracks, but reworked into this style, then I’m all for it.

Amen to that! 

I hope that they will still credit the original songwriters. 

Wouldn't it be funny to read Rose/Carroll/Hudson?  :D

• Haha 1

Just now, Sosso said:

Wouldn't it be funny to read Rose/Carroll/Hudson?  :D

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

Honestly I'd prefer they keep the Buckethead stuff like The General untouched, and release it in a box set somewhere down the line... I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's some Tobias credits on any new songs, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly I'd prefer they keep the Buckethead stuff like The General untouched, and release it in a box set somewhere down the line... I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's some Tobias credits on any new songs, though.

Me too. The best way to get those original demos officially is a bonus disc or a limited edition. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how Axl approaches this vocally. I hope he fucking kills it - that's if they play it!

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd probably say it's a safe bet to see Tobias all over a new Guns record.

• Like 1

Slash emulating a bit of Buckethead at the end is kinda cute.

Could use a little more oomph but then again it's just a cell phone recoding, so....looking foward to hear it in better quality.

I don't get the excitement though. If the song wasn't good enough to be on Chinese that was probably for a reason and to me it really does sound like something you would use as filler or take off an album when you have actual songs. It's one of those fragment songs that going nowhere and the main riff is very similar to something I remember from "The Garden" from UYI 1.

I'd be more interested in them coming up with an original song by this current lineup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

@adamsapple The band never thought about the song as "not good enough" for CD. They wanted to include the song on one of the following albums (CD was planned as a trilogy). 

Exactly... there's an Axl quote from the 2008 chats where he says he wasn't concerned about the 'ballad to rocker' ratio, but the songs we got were the ones that could 'get through the labels red tape'. The tracklist was much more a result of the leaks than the quality of the available songs.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Exactly... there's an Axl quote from the 2008 chats where he says he wasn't concerned about the 'ballad to rocker' ratio, but the songs we got were the ones that could 'get through the labels red tape'. The tracklist was much more a result of the leaks than the quality of the available songs.

I wonder if the third album of the planned trilogy would have been the remix album. Pretty much a bonus like TSI? was for the UYI era. 

I thought that the Buckethead part in the demo was redundant and didn't fit the song. I feel the same about the respective Slash part in the new version. Other than that, I think it's been improved. It seems the lines Duff sang are from his backing vocals. I hope the "aye's" in the bridge are placeholder for additional vocals.

24 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Slash emulating a bit of Buckethead at the end is kinda cute.

Could use a little more oomph but then again it's just a cell phone recoding, so....looking foward to hear it in better quality.

I don't get the excitement though. If the song wasn't good enough to be on Chinese that was probably for a reason and to me it really does sound like something you would use as filler or take off an album when you have actual songs. It's one of those fragment songs that going nowhere and the main riff is very similar to something I remember from "The Garden" from UYI 1.

I'd be more interested in them coming up with an original song by this current lineup.

Yea it would make a decent action  movie soundtrack song. Has that generic straight forward rocker feel 

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't believe him for a second when it comes to that. I think CD is what they had at the time, give or take maybe a handful of finished songs. They sure had more songs, but I don't think these were ever fullly finished even just in terms of songwriting.

Either way, that's all water under the bridge and it will be interesting to see how much of those CD era sessions might end up on a possible new album if that ever comes. I'd rather have those old Tobias/Bucket/Finck songs left untouched and released in some form (like a box set) and have the current lineup come up with original songs written by them.

Hard School is pretty underwhelming as a song for me, but it's a step into the right direction: previously unreleased music that hasn't been performed live yet either. Let's hope they don't wait until midtour to actually perform it in concert.

• Like 1

Yes exactly, a Jackie Chan movie. 

I can’t get too excited about that. I expect a better first song from these guys. 

AFD WTTJ

UYI YCBM

Snakepit Beggars

VR Slither

CD Better

Slash By the sword

all superior debuts

SMKC APOCALYPTIC LOVE? Hardschool? =Toss up

Edited by Top-Hatted One

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I wonder if the third album of the planned trilogy would have been the remix album. Pretty much a bonus like TSI? was for the UYI era. 

"Now, there's been some concern that if we play 5 or 6 new songs, then there can't be that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère! We're just playin' the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So you'll get 18 songs and about 10 extra tracks. And when that - when the record company feels that has run [it's] course, then you'll get it all over again. And by that time, I should be done with the third album! So we'll see if all goes well, boys and girls!"

That's from the London 2002 show. I think the remix album was always meant as a 'CD1 bonus disc', not one of the main CD trilogy discs. So they'd re-release CD with the alt artwork and bonus disc in 2009-10 then CD2 a year or two later, etc.

8 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I don't believe him for a second when it comes to that. I think CD is what they had at the time, give or take maybe a handful of finished songs. They sure had more songs, but I don't think these were ever fullly finished even just in terms of songwriting.

Either way, that's all water under the bridge and it will be interesting to see how much of those CD era sessions might end up on a possible new album if that ever comes. I'd rather have those old Tobias/Bucket/Finck songs left untouched and released in some form (like a box set) and have the current lineup come up with original songs written by them.

Hard School is pretty underwhelming as a song for me, but it's a step into the right direction: previously unreleased music that hasn't been performed live yet either. Let's hope they don't wait until midtour to actually perform it in concert.

We know it's not all they had at the time, though. It's a lot more reasonable to think the record company said "these songs already leaked, so these are the one's we're recouping some money on" than to think they didn't have more "finished" songs.

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I will be excited when they play it live with Axl. Soundchecks mean nothing by themselves, especially where GNR is concerned.

For sure, we’re all quick to forget that they would play perfect crime all the time at soundchecks & put it on set lists for years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joraz said:

I heard the whole of hardschool with duff on vox singing only the “To hardschool” bit

were you also at hershey today?  pretty sure I heard them play hardschool as well.  was it toward the end of the set (like 3 songs before paradise city