Hard School

57 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d still take it even if he was vocally wobbly. As long as we get a killer studio version I’m cool with that!

Sure! I'll be thrilled when they play it too. The good thing about low expectations is that you can only be positively surprised.

The studio version will be killer without a doubt!

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

My hunch is they dusted it off because the leaks.

Yeah, that's possible. Or maybe it just happened to be the first song from the vault Slash and Duff picked to work with because it's the closest to classic GNR - and it may as well be more than that, as a strong case has been made that the earliest version of it dates from 1996 (the "Jackie Chan" song).

It was a reworked Atlas that was rumored years ago when the big 3 regrouped. Hope we get both this tour!

Those rumours about Atlas were most likely bs (as many other similar rumours). But yes, let's hope that they debut more songs, although I highly doubt there'll be anything more than Hardschool.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, that's possible. Or maybe it just happened to be the first song from the vault Slash and Duff picked to work with because it's the closest to classic GNR - and it may as well be more than that, as a strong case has been made that the earliest version of it dates from 1996 (the "Jackie Chan" song).

Those rumours about Atlas were most likely bs (as many other similar rumours). But yes, let's hope that they debut more songs, although I highly doubt there'll be anything more than Hardschool.

It was a long time ago but I think the rumor came along with the re-arranged Better, which was eventually performed live (and kicks ass)

6 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

It was a long time ago but I think the rumor came along with the re-arranged Better, which was eventually performed live (and kicks ass)

Oh, I don't know if the Better rumour came along with the first Atlas rumour back in early 2016, or came along later with the "EP rumour" which supposedly included Atlas and a T-Rex cover. But the Atlas rumour was recently discussed in another thread and I said there why I thought it was bs:

• Thanks 1

Going by the instagram post, it looks like Hardschool is now Hard Skool. I used to assume it was just another simple way of jotting down tracks on the setlist, Jungle, Sweet Child, but it appears to be the official title going by the display that was on the big screen, fam.

Edited by Dean

34 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Here's the clip of Duff talking about the song for Jackie Chan's movie in 1996, if anyone hasn't seen it: https://streamable.com/raqznr

Is Hardschool the same song from back then though?

This recent soundcheck performance, sounds like a Slash and Duff type of rework, but that CD demo sounds nothing like what Slash and Duff would’ve come up with back in the 90’s.

So the question is, is the way Slash and Duff are playing it now, how it originally started, then it was reworked into a demo by nuGNR, or the other way around?

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Going by the instagram post, it looks like Hardschool is now Hard Skool. I used to assume it was just another simple way of jotting down tracks on the setlist, Jungle, Sweet Child, but it appears to be the official title going by the display that was on the big screen, fam.

TBF….MetallicA change their song titles all the time - For Whom The Bell Tolls is always Bellz on their setlist…

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

This recent soundcheck performance, sounds like a Slash and Duff type of rework, but that CD demo sounds nothing like what Slash and Duff would’ve come up with back in the 90’s.

So the question is, is the way Slash and Duff are playing it now, how it originally started, then it was reworked into a demo by nuGNR, or the other way around?

Good question. Though sadly we’ll probably never know. But if I had to guess, I’d say the 2000 demo is probably closer to how it sounded in 1996 (assuming it really is from back then) and the new parts we’re hearing are genuinely new. Slash has become a different sorta guitarist since he got sober 15-ish years ago.

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

Here is what Matt Sorum says about it in the leaked book:

Rick Rubin suddenly showed up. We had previously agreed that he would produce our next record, and he had been waiting a long time to hear what we had come up with.

“OK, so let me hear what you guys got. . . . Where’s Slash?”

I glanced at the others and then quickly said, “Uh, he’s not here right now.”

We then played a couple of tracks. Axl had one track he wanted to use for a Jackie Chan movie, and Rick really seemed to like that one. He turned to Axl after listening to it, and said, “Do you have any lyrics or melody?”

Axl gave him a surprised look. “No.”

Rick scratched his head. The atmosphere was weird. “OK,” he said. Then he left.

If Matt is to be believed, It doesn't seem that Slash had worked on it then. I think the most plausible scenario is that Duff and Matt had helped arranged it (my theory is that Axl had written it with Tobias), then it was re-arranged by NuGnR, and Axl put lyrics and melodies on it, and now it's been re-rearranged by Slash.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 5:13 PM, Blackstar said:

Rick Rubin suddenly showed up. We had previously agreed that he would produce our next record, and he had been waiting a long time to hear what we had come up with.

We then played a couple of tracks. Axl had one track he wanted to use for a Jackie Chan movie, and Rick really seemed to like that one. He turned to Axl after listening to it, and said, “Do you have any lyrics or melody?”

If Matt is to be believed, It doesn't seem that Slash had worked on it then. I think the most plausible scenario is that Duff and Matt had helped arranged it (my theory is that Axl had written it with Tobias), then it was re-arranged by NuGnR, and Axl put lyrics and melodies on it, and now it's been re-rearranged by Slash.

Yeah I think you're right, sounds plausible. 

I have to admit my optimism. I do my second job for one Finnish rock-metal magazine. I was so sure for new song being played that I wrote an article ready for the upcoming morning :D All I needed to do was insert links and correct all the facts before publishing.

But you know how my story ended when I woke up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:13 AM, Blackstar said:

I would say you nailed that theory dude. Sounds 100% plausible. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 3:13 AM, Blackstar said:

very possible imo. Hard to tell. Could be Paul, so if true, does that mean the tune that originated from a Slash idea that Richard mentioend wasn't HS after all? (maybe Slash could still have worked on it or even came up with it, just wasn't in the room when Rubin was there)

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm convinced it's lined up for the UYI reissue in a 'SOYL' way. 

Wouldnt Aint Goin Down fit that role better?

Also, idk if it’s been mentioned here but Meegan posted a soundcheck pick on Instagram that she quickly deleted like five mins later and the stage graphic in the background said HARD SKOOL, so we now know for sure that that’s the correct spelling. Maybe we should change the thread name?

Edited by rocknroll41

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

very possible imo. Hard to tell. Could be Paul, so if true, does that mean the tune that originated from a Slash idea that Richard mentioend wasn't HS after all? (maybe Slash could still have worked on it or even came up with it, just wasn't in the room when Rubin was there)

A forum member who was at the same guitar clinic (where Fortus said that about songs originating from Slash ideas) asked about the "Checkmate" clip quoting the lyrics, and Fortus said it didn't ring a bell:

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

A forum member who was at the same guitar clinic (where Fortus said that about songs originating from Slash ideas) asked about the "Checkmate" clip quoting the lyrics, and Fortus said it didn't ring a bell:

I remember that. You would think Richard would remember the tune if it was what he worked on. Maybe the Slash song isn't HS after all.