Is Axl happier than previous tours?

He seems to be in really fine spirits. Lots of smiling, interacting with the audience. Whenever I see him speaking into his IEM line on his microphone, it seems to be in a jokey way. Hasn't seemed this pleased to be onstage in quite a while.

Just my opinion of course, but I think Axl is starting to accept this lineup as his preferred Guns lineup, whereas in 2016 I couldn't help but wonder if he was a little bitter at the fact that Slash and Duff renewed so much interest in the band. I keep thinking to his interview with China Exchange where he pointed out what a big fan of the previous lineup he was, in addition to a little bit of venting about Slash's book. It seemed like the truce was a bit uneasy before NITL started, whereas once the tour kicked in to high gear and, especially, this year with what I presume is 'new' material recorded, he seems very very happy. Which is nice to see.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

I don't know if it has to do with the release of Absurd, but have you guys noticed that Axl seems Happier?

He is Running all over the stage, interacting much more with Frank Ferrer, laughing all the time, joking with the audience.

I said this like 10 times while I was at the Detroit show, but Axl was in the best mood I've ever seen him. By a LONG shot. Not sure what changed but he was happy as shit the whole show. 

• Like 1

Reports saying he's looking less bloated and cracking a "more than usual" amount of jokes. All clear indicators and symptoms of being in a happy place. 

All seriousness yeah he appears to be in great spirits. I'd imagine being off the road over a year has helped. 

• Confused 1

Axl is someone who needs breaks between the tours ('03-'05 and '08 for example). He was on the road almost non stop since 2016. One year at home might have helped to give him some of his energy back. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

I think playing new music and getting to introduce something new to the crowd gives him the type of "this is a new song-" fire from the early 2000's. He's probably grateful that Slash and Duff want to work on the CDII tunes, finally giving them some attention and recognition (+having Slash's style again, which I'm sure he missed) and there seems to be a new album on the horizon. It's a really good time for Axl's career from his perspective.

• Like 2

He was definitely interacting with the crowd A LOT more for the August 5 MetLife show than the 2016 MetLife show.  From the NITL tour, it did seem that he was very business like for the 2016 MetLife show. For the fall 2017 show, I saw them perform at MSG. It seemed like something change then since he was starting to joke around a little bit. That was the show where PInk came on stage to do the end of Patience. 

The best performance I ever saw of GNR was MSG in December 1991. Axl was really happy at that show as I recall. 

Edited by Draguns

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Axl is someone who needs breaks between the tours ('03-'05 and '08 for example). He was on the road almost non stop since 2016. One year at home might have helped to give him some of his energy back. 

This is making me realize that we missed out on some great shows in those years. How amazing would it be to have any performances during 03-05?

Axl performing in support of Chinese Democracy in the Fall of 2008 instead of Winter 2009 would've helped that album tremendously as well.

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think the pandemic made him appreciate playing live shows more again

This

Also I think that since he's lost some weight maybe he's gotten some of his confidence back and the band is on fire (esp Slash) so I'm sure that helps too. I've noticed that he doesn't keep running into his tent during solos but he'll stay out and watch Slash and enjoy the show.

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Has he even been linked to anyone since that model “girlfriend” Sasha from the 2006 era? Excluding the Lana Del Rey rumor since I’m assuming that wasn’t actually true. 

There's a picture of him and Lana Del Ray together from 2010/11 but I never heard anything in regards to a relationship. I think the simple answer is Axl is older and wiser and at a stage of his life where things don't bother him like they once did.

I think making amends with Slash and having a hugely successful, incident free tour is also a big factor.

• Like 1

If he has someone special in his life I doubt we'd ever find out about it unless he wants us to. Numerous people close to him stated that Michael Jackson had a secret long-term girlfriend in the years up until his death and nobody found out about that either while he was still here, so Axl, who has much less cameras on him shouldn't have a problem with keeping that part of his life out of the spotlight.

IMHO I just believe he's happy to be touring again, presenting some new material and getting reactions from the fans.